5085m?

/ 5085m? #1  

marcin

Bronze Member
Tractor
john deere 5205, 1968 john deere 5020
Hi there,

I was hoping to get the opinion of others on the forum.

I currently own a JD 5205 that is about 12 years old with 3500h. It has been split 3 times due to the PTO clutch burning up. I have been told that it was due to the MX10 shredder that I use on it. After the second time, I significantly decreased the shredder use to only occasional fence line mowing. 2 years later, the clutch is done again.

I am wondering what I should do: buy a smaller shredder (probably 8' bushhog) or upgrade to a larger tractor (5085m or similar). The new tractor would likely need to be an open station to allow me to shred around trees. The 5205 is also used to move and feed large round bales, spray herbicide and general utility ranch tasks (brush clearing, concrete mixer, gravel loading). It is slow and light which makes a lot of heavy loader tasks slow and sometimes hair raising - but it's doable.

I would appreciate the advice of others. If I could get a cab tractor, I would probably upgrade without hesitating, but I really think that this needs to be an open station. I do not want an "e" tractor due to the many problems I read about. If there is another machine I should be considering, please let me know.

/ 5085m? #2  
A BIG question is what is your budget? Next any MUST have(s)? Finally any MUST NOT have(s)?

About 10 years ago I wanted a 5X25 series with mfwd. I ended up with a 6XXX series that was a LOT more tractor (bigger than I really need) for $5K less than the 5X25 series tractors I was looking at. At the time a 5085M would have been at least $15K MORE than I spent.

Probably the best buys are the older 2X50 or 2X55 series tractors, if they would meet your needs. I am guessing open station tractors in TX will not be in demand (everyone wants AC) so should be a bargain.

I am sure TxJim has some suggestions

/ 5085m?
I have an old, fully functional 5020 that I use for batwing shredding, plowing and field cultivating. I plan on purchasing a 6140 in 3-4 years as a main haying tractor.

I need a smaller but strong tractor, likely open station, MFWD, fel, left hand reverser. I do not want an older tractor...have dealt with enough old equipment and I simply do not have the time for it, it needs to have less than 500h on it. I do not think I want an e series either, have read too many negative reviews. Ideally I would like to stay around 40k, but if it were a great deal 45-50 would be doable.

My plan all along was to keep my 5205. I don't know, however, if its just not too small for my place...around 550 acres. I know I can't use the 10' shredder on it, so would have to invest 4-5k in a 8' bushog - don't know if I want to buy another new shredder for an old tractor...As I said, the tractor is able to do most of the jobs, but is at its max for many: a 2000 lb feed bag almost tips it over unless moving extremely slowly, hay bales also lift the back off the ground on turns. I am not sure if it will be able to pull a hay rake in the future? I really would like to have a cab tractor but don't think it would fulfill the jobs I need it for.

/ 5085m? #4  
I have a friend that I work with purchase a 5075E. So far he has had no issues other than a broken windshield that was installed incorrectly at the factory. It was covered under warranty. Other than that the tractor has performed fine.

I traded last year for a cab tractor (New Holland) and in the North Carolina heat it is a real pleasure to brush hog. If you stay with the 10 footer a 5075E would handle it with no issues. If you want to stay away from the E then I would go with the 85M. I don't mind at all the inconveniences of the cab going around trees when it's 90 plus degrees outside. The air and FM radio make the time pass leisurely.

/ 5085m? #5  
I have a 2016 New Holland t4.100 cab and it has been really good so far. Had it over 2 years. Put out round bales and pull a pretty big field cultivator with it. Easily runs a big shredder. It’s got pretty stout hydraulics as well, I’ve picked up a pallet of rock that weighed over 3500lbs and the rear stayed planted. It has a left handed power reverser and the mfwd is stout. I’d buy it again.

/ 5085m? #6  
Following. I have the "wants" for a 5105M. I too wouldn't consider the E versions.

/ 5085m? #7  
Hi there,

I was hoping to get the opinion of others on the forum.

I currently own a JD 5205 that is about 12 years old with 3500h. It has been split 3 times due to the PTO clutch burning up. I have been told that it was due to the MX10 shredder that I use on it. After the second time, I significantly decreased the shredder use to only occasional fence line mowing. 2 years later, the clutch is done again.

I am wondering what I should do: buy a smaller shredder (probably 8' bushhog) or upgrade to a larger tractor (5085m or similar). The new tractor would likely need to be an open station to allow me to shred around trees. The 5205 is also used to move and feed large round bales, spray herbicide and general utility ranch tasks (brush clearing, concrete mixer, gravel loading). It is slow and light which makes a lot of heavy loader tasks slow and sometimes hair raising - but it's doable.

I would appreciate the advice of others. If I could get a cab tractor, I would probably upgrade without hesitating, but I really think that this needs to be an open station. I do not want an "e" tractor due to the many problems I read about. If there is another machine I should be considering, please let me know.

You mind I ask about how much it costs to split it and put a clutch in? You can trim your trees. Also, a big tractor with a 15' bat wing can reach under trees decently.

I would go to a heavier duty tractor with more power.

/ 5085m?
One of my big hesitations is investing in a 50k tractor without a cab. It seems that everyone around with that size of a tractor has a cab. Should I try and make the 5020 work for fence line mowing. The 10ft shredder is 540 though so I would need to run the tractor at about 1200 RPM.

/ 5085m? #9  
I'm like ya. I would like a cab but can't logically use it. I paid $41K for my open station Kubota 7 years ago.

/ 5085m? #10  
If you pay $10000 extra for a cab tractor, 10 years later it will still be worth close to it's option price on a JD.

Unless the market gets flooded with cab tractors.