Backhoe 511 backhoe seems weak

/ 511 backhoe seems weak #1  

jrchafin

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahinda 7520
Hey all,
Have a new 7520 with 511 backhoe. As I'm sure is standard, the backhoe hooks into one set of rear remote valves.

I only have experience with a much smaller tractor/backhoe which was much smaller/weaker, but I must say I expected this one to be stronger. Of course, I was attacking stumps as my first job, so maybe that's the problem. I was digging around the sides of some old half-rotten stumps with an 18" bucket. Of course I don't expect it to tear right through a 4" root, but it just didn't seem to have the downward ripping force that I was expecting. And the curl/dump on the bucket was quite slow, much slower than the boom and dipper cycling. This normal?

I would hook the bucket teeth under a root and curl the bucket while pushing the boom into the ground, trying to pry the edge of the root up. Instead, the bucket would just slip out from under the root. Just didn't seem like the 6000 pounds of ground ripping force that I was expecting. Does this sound normal? Anybody have any tricks to test these?

Thanks,
Jon

/ 511 backhoe seems weak #2  
First, do a hydraulic pressure test at the tractor rear remotes. I believe it should be arround 2650 psi, if my memory is correct. I will double check that spec a little later. As far as speed is concerned time the speed at which your loader goes from ground level to full height. When the tractor is warm your tractor should raise in about 6 seconds.
How old is your tractor and how many hours on it?

/ 511 backhoe seems weak #3  
Just a note, and probably not worth mentioning since you already have used backhoes, but there is a knob on the controls of the 511 that increases/decreases speeds (ie. increase/decrease fluid flow). Have you tried adjusting it?? As an aside, I've not had that problem with my 511 as I run it off a PTO pump. BobG in VA

/ 511 backhoe seems weak
The tractor is new, the loader works fine.
There is a knob on the backhoe to adjust swing speed, which I haven't adjusted. I don't see any other knob for adjustment. Would this affect the speed of the bucket? I won't be able to test this again for a few days.

/ 511 backhoe seems weak #5  
Bradco backheos are no joke, its almost certianly low hydraulic pressure. Its not typical to plumb the backhoe to he remotes, the couplers will get burning hot from that amount of constant flow, and you'll have to bungee the lever open. It really should be plumbed off the power beyond ports.

/ 511 backhoe seems weak #6  
I checked and the hydraulic pressure at the remotes should be 2690 psi.

/ 511 backhoe seems weak
MessickFarmEqu said:
Bradco backheos are no joke, its almost certianly low hydraulic pressure. Its not typical to plumb the backhoe to he remotes, the couplers will get burning hot from that amount of constant flow, and you'll have to bungee the lever open. It really should be plumbed off the power beyond ports.

I assume power beyond ports are an option, correct? I don't see any other ports available. Anybody else have a 7520 with a backhoe? How are your hydraulics hooked in?

By the way, it came from the dealer with a small metal lever that holds the lever in the open position. I wonder if the problem isn't just inadequate flow through this remote valve.

/ 511 backhoe seems weak #8  
I have a 7520 w/backhoe and yes it hooks into the remotes on the back of the tractor. I don't have experience w/any other tractor or backhoe, but I know that my backhoe will pull my whole tractor so it seems plenty strong for me. I have used it to pull my tractor out of a mud hole I got stuck in when clearing my property. The wheels were fairly deep in the mud and the frame was bottoming out. It will pull the tractor quite easily even with the "legs" down and the bucket firmly on the ground. I have not measured the pressure coming from the remotes but they seem to work fine. I have also dug plenty of stumps out. If the root is large and is well into the dirt, then it takes a little work to dig it out. Sometimes you have to go out several feet away from the stump to dig it out. I have dug some fairly large stumps and deep pine stumps and have always been able to dig it out but it may take a little time, maybe 20-40minutes or longer depending on how big the stump is.

Make sure the lever that routes hyd to the backhoe stays fully engaged. I did have some problems with it "popping out" when the backhoe was under a lot of stress but fixed the metal "clip" to hold it better in place.

Yes, some of the functions work quicker than others. You can dial up the swing such that it moves very quick, almost too quick for me. As for the other functions, I don't know of a control to change the speed of that particular operation.

I have 313 hrs on the tractor with a good amount of time on the backhoe. This is one extremely versatile machine!

/ 511 backhoe seems weak
Blu,
Does your bucket curl/dump go quite a bit slower than your boom/dipper?

/ 511 backhoe seems weak #10  
jrlogan said:
Hey all,
Have a new 7520 with 511 backhoe. As I'm sure is standard, the backhoe hooks into one set of rear remote valves.

I only have experience with a much smaller tractor/backhoe which was much smaller/weaker, but I must say I expected this one to be stronger. Of course, I was attacking stumps as my first job, so maybe that's the problem. I was digging around the sides of some old half-rotten stumps with an 18" bucket. Of course I don't expect it to tear right through a 4" root, but it just didn't seem to have the downward ripping force that I was expecting. And the curl/dump on the bucket was quite slow, much slower than the boom and dipper cycling. This normal?

I would hook the bucket teeth under a root and curl the bucket while pushing the boom into the ground, trying to pry the edge of the root up. Instead, the bucket would just slip out from under the root. Just didn't seem like the 6000 pounds of ground ripping force that I was expecting. Does this sound normal? Anybody have any tricks to test these?

Thanks,
Jon
Jon,
What RPM are you using? My 6520 has to run at full RPM to get max use out of my 511. Your 17 gpm pump vs. my 11 gpm pump should give you a lower rpm to give your 511 it's muscle. As to trying to hook a root while pushing down on the boom, try moving boom and bucket in short alternating movements. I do know backhoes are not designed to push and you won't get full rated specs in trying to push anything. I have found getting closer to the root gives more mechanical advantage. Also, bringing my rear tires off the ground gives me a better advantage. My bucket curls and dumps slow compared to the boom and dipper stick.
hugs, Brandi