Backhoe 511 backhoe seems weak

/ 511 backhoe seems weak #11  
Yes, the curl/dump of bucket is slower. I generally run about 1500 rpm and as I said, it will pull the whole tractor. I have never tried it at full power--probably overkill. On pine trees, I have had to dig down as far as the BH will go to get the stump out. On some of the roots, I have to work at them to either break them or pull them out. Eventually, the BH wins though.

/ 511 backhoe seems weak #12  
Blu 82 said:
Yes, the curl/dump of bucket is slower. I generally run about 1500 rpm and as I said, it will pull the whole tractor. I have never tried it at full power--probably overkill. On pine trees, I have had to dig down as far as the BH will go to get the stump out. On some of the roots, I have to work at them to either break them or pull them out. Eventually, the BH wins though.

Try cranking your RPM up to around 1800 or 2000. I am not a fluid dymanics engineer (where is Dougster when you need him:( ), but I am guessing your hyd. pump's power curve kicks in rather high on the RPM side to hit the GPM you need to make your 511 feel powerful. My 6520 has to go full throttle to get that feeling. Also, get your rear tires off the ground. The 511's stablizer pads, I feel, are way to small for the 6520/7520 tractor. Mine slide a lot, until I put air between the ground and my rear rubber. I have been meaning to buy some 3/8 inch plate to make my pads larger.
hugs, Brandi

/ 511 backhoe seems weak #13  
jrlogan said:
Blu,
Does your bucket curl/dump go quite a bit slower than your boom/dipper?
Check to make sure the lever can be moved to its full extent in the dump/curl directions. Mine was pinching the boot between the joystick and the plastic cover and preventing full motion.

Relating to strength, there are 2 relief valves on the tractor and at least one on the bh. The 1st is on the loader valve, and is probably set at 2500 or less. This will limit the pressure to the loader and also the power beyond port to 2500. The PB port goes from the loader valve to feed all other hydraulic functions. So you are probably limited to 2500 at the remotes even tho the relief in the remote valve body is set at around 2700. If the relief valve in the BH is set at 2500 or more thats what youll have at the BH. If less than 2500 youll have whatever the lower setting is.
larry

/ 511 backhoe seems weak #14  
check the RPM. It makes a huge difference. I run the 511 on a 6500 with a PTO pump. You should be fine with 17gpm on yours. It is either low RPM or a pressure issue. There are a couple relief vales in the loader and main tractor and one of those may be malfunctioning.

Also is the tractor warm when you are doing this? I doubt you are overheating but I don't know what the fluid capacity is on your tractor. Don't try to bite off everything at once. Take slivers out. Use the curl to rip out little bits at a time.