5150 smoke problem

/ 5150 smoke problem
Tx...Do you think any wires are fried? I used the tractor for half an hour snow blowing without any problem.

/ 5150 smoke problem
To anyone...Obviously you can tell I know very little about a JD. I have always had a Case (1978 990). However, looking at an online operator's manual for the 5105, I hooked the charger up to the fusible link instead of the battery. That's when the charger did its on-off recyling. The smoke did not come from there, though.

/ 5150 smoke problem
I just went out and did more snowblowing. No problems. I am thinking, considering the windy and very snowy conditions yesterday, and since my tractor was only partially in a small shed, that the "smoke" I saw was not that at all, but a gust of snow. Some of these gusts can mimic smoke. Thinking back, I never smelled smoke and the wind was blowing in my direction.

/ 5150 smoke problem #14  
AKfish...Sounds very reasonable. Actually when I bought it none of the dash gauges worked, except the 00 00 that came on when the key was turned. Strangely all fuses are good.

If no gauges work with good fuses then check dash cluster ground connection.

/ 5150 smoke problem #15  
40 amps is certainly no trickle charge but should not do any damage for such a short duration. My boat has a 100 A alternator on the yanmar 35 hp but it has a smart external multistage regulator.

I also have a charger on the farm with a 200 A position but not to be used for more than 5 seconds. Always charge at the lowest amperage you can to get a complete charge. Our fast charge is 30 A and I installed a timer in that outlet so cannot go over 2 hours.

Everything in that battery circuit has big cabling, right? 40 A should not be too much from a wire size perspective, nor a big battery for just 15 minutes. Unclear on tractor but think you meant 5105, which should have a good sized battery. If it was really cold, maybe charger or battery might make a little heat, and maybe some vapor/steam from battery - but smoke? I dunno. Newer smart chargers are good at sensing battery condition and won't throw amperage at it regardless of condition. Nonetheless good to have a manual charger to put on when you willfully want to override an auto charger, but good to babysit it like you did.

Bad connections are always a place to start. Having a boat has made me better at making good connections, sizing wire properly, use heat shrink tubing, etc. the salt air is tough on wiring, and hard run tractors can be too. Check charger connections too

Good luck, and sorry to hear about the snow. Since no more benefit from our freezes here, I'm over the winter thing. Insects were bad here last year, but these 25 degree nights aren't going to help that much anymore so bring on the sun. It was 70 and sunny here all weekend and the grass grew inches.

/ 5150 smoke problem
cheoh...I am convinced that it was a gust of fine snow (white-out-like). I would have smelled smoke if it was that because I was 3 feet away from the "smoke" and the wind was blowing hard in my direction. I guess I just panicked.

Interestingly, the battery is really quite small, because I was told by a local JD mechanic that this recent type of a tractor (5105) does not need much to power it up.

/ 5150 smoke problem #17  
Well I have a 5085 but honestly haven't looked at the battery since I bought it, just enough to appreciate the access compared to older models. Our 6300 had posts under the steps to make it easier, and while slick, I'm not crazy about it.

I would continue to be vigilant when using that amperage but unless you smelled something you may be right about the snow.

/ 5150 smoke problem #18  
How big are the wire going from the remote charging posts to the battery?

40A, one would expect it to be 6 to 8 AWG.

I would expect them to be the same size as the wires going to the starter motor.

Is it possible that JD expected those posts to only be used for trickle charging at 8 to 10A?

If the battery was fully charged, then 40A should have brought the voltage of the battery up from about 13V to 15V or higher. The charger should automatically shut down at the high voltages.

/ 5150 smoke problem #19  
AKfish...Sounds very reasonable. Actually when I bought it none of the dash gauges worked, except the 00 00 that came on when the key was turned. Strangely all fuses are good.

Ed, if you have 00 00 on your display, that means you hae a fuse inserted in the "DIAG" position. There should be no fuse in that position unless you are running diagnostic tests or calibrations. Remove that fuse and your gauges may all work.

/ 5150 smoke problem
jd110...Will check...on my online operator's manual for a 2005 5105, (have a 2004 5105), I have two fuse schematics. Fuse size and Function.jpgFuse size and function(2).jpg...which one applies?