/ 5264 #21  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I never intended to insinuate that the small diesels weren't worth the time. I stated in the post that had I intended to operate mine for extended periods of time I would have chosen the diesel. The difference in fuel economy would have then paid off. I never meant that the diesel would be the wrong choice. Some of that would be personal preference and intended use. As far as the torque curve they are nearly indentical on these two engines, very little difference, look and see. I'm sorry the turbo charger statement makes no sense to you, but you will be hard pressed to find a larger diesel engine that is not turbo charged. The turbo charger helps make lots of cylinder pressure and that translates into big torque. The more air you can move through an engine the more fuel can be burned which translates into more power. An internal combustion engine is basically an air pump. Once again I was not bashing diesels in sub compact tractors, but what is right for one is not always right for all. I didn't mean to offend anyone. You are no doubt a diesel owner, 5234 if I'm not mistaken. )</font>

I own both Gas and a diesel. There are plenty of non-turbo inspired diesel engines out there up to 35 hp and higher. I understand the turbo concept and how they function - and they improve gas inspired engines as well. They offer a performance enhancement for sure, but by no means required or mandatory to offer signifcant performance over gas inspired machines.
If you could post the links for the Kawai and B&S diesel engines that would be helpful. If B&S torque curve is in the RPM range of a Gas, then that might go against the majority of Yanmar diesels and Kubotas since they peak out at the lowest RPMs -usually half the RPM range of gas...
Do you still feel gas and diesel are the same in fuel efficiency?
anyway nobody is offended here, just thought some of your points needed a rebuttal....still do but thats ok

Duc

/ 5264 #22  
This is only my personal opinion and not intended to step on anyone's toes or to persuade anyone! I value everyone's opinion, especially Gamble's.

This last spring I purchase the 5254 and have been completely satisfied with the performance of the engine and tractor.

Having a diesel engine in this tractor would have made no difference at all to me. You can only do so much with a tractor of this size.

As for resale and longevity, I do not intend to sell and believe that this tractor will last longer than I do.

Having said all of that, I will agree that there are some nice features on the 6000 series. But at what cost? I could not justify spending any more money than I did. I would not have truly been better off than I am. Diesel is fine, but I am satisfied with the Kawasaki gas.

Hope this helps, Alan

/ 5264 #23  
I never stated in any of my posts that I felt gas and diesels were the same in fuel efficiency. The point I was trying to make was there is MORE of a difference in economy and torque between the two in larger applications where the diesels are almost always turbocharged. Diesels will almost always be more fuel efficient because there is more energy in a gallon of diesel than a gallon of gasoline, but the larger the application and the larger the load the more difference there will be. Diesels respond dramatically to forced induction because detonation is not an issue and they generally operate at a lower rpm window than a gas and therefore can't move as much air through themselves without help. The Diahatsu on the Cub web site is rated at 3600 RPM the same as the gas and therefore doesn't make its power any lower. I don't know about the Kubota or Yanmar, they may be of larger displacement and I wasn't speaking of them anyway. I was simply comparing the Kawasaki powered Cub to the Diahatsu powered Cub. When I said you would be hard pressed to find a larger diesel that wasn't turbocharged I meant a LARGER diesel such as the new pickups or a farm tractor. There are none that I know of and for good reason.

/ 5264 #24  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I never stated in any of my posts that I felt gas and diesels were the same in fuel efficiency. The point I was trying to make was there is MORE of a difference in economy and torque between the two in larger applications where the diesels are almost always turbocharged. Diesels will almost always be more fuel efficient because there is more energy in a gallon of diesel than a gallon of gasoline, but the larger the application and the larger the load the more difference there will be. Diesels respond dramatically to forced induction because detonation is not an issue and they generally operate at a lower rpm window than a gas and therefore can't move as much air through themselves without help. The Diahatsu on the Cub web site is rated at 3600 RPM the same as the gas and therefore doesn't make its power any lower. I don't know about the Kubota or Yanmar, they may be of larger displacement and I wasn't speaking of them anyway. I was simply comparing the Kawasaki powered Cub to the Diahatsu powered Cub. When I said you would be hard pressed to find a larger diesel that wasn't turbocharged I meant a LARGER diesel such as the new pickups or a farm tractor. There are none that I know of and for good reason. )</font>

I find it hard to follow your logic and comparisions and the assumptions which were never mentioned prior. Farm tractors can also be catorgorized as utility tractors and have naturally inspired induction. There are many models offered by Deere, Kubtoa, NH that are not turbo charged and perform very well. Yes having a turbo is a nice enhancement but is not the must have in trucks and tractors -
There is too much comparison between apples and oranges here, so I would like to see the link of the spec on the Kawi engine and B&S. That way I can see what RPM the torque maxes out at. I do agree 3600 RPM is high for a diesel, but you mentioned the fuel efficiency was close between the models - I would like to see that....Maybe this motor is a gas conversion block? You wont see numbers that high with JD, Kubota, NH and certainly the fuel efficiency will be a huge advantage over the Kawi

/ 5264
The gas engine is offered to meet a lower, more affordable price point. If a few hundred dollars is an issue, buy the gas engine. I just can't imagine that if somebody could afford the gas 5254 tractor they couldn't come up with a little more to get diesel tractor.

The Diahatsu diesel is not significantly louder than the gas engine, it's a very smooth running engine. The battery doesn't cost any more (who brought that up???) than the one in the gas tractor. I have had no problems at all with fuel, starting, filters, etc....

Diesel engines typically outlast, and almost always do better on resale than a gas engine tractor. Yes, you might say that you'll never sell your tractor and that resale value is of no concern but life is funny, you never know what you may have to do a few years down the road. You'll be able to unload a diesel tractor faster and get more money for it.

For the few dollars more it takes to get the diesel Cub, it's a no brainer. If you can't come up with the money to cover the difference in price maybe your looking at to much tractor in the first place. Not meant to be offensive, but if I did I apologize. Get the diesel and enjoy your tractor.

/ 5264 #26  
Hard said:
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My dealer is trying to steer me away from the diesel and towards the 4WD Kawi instead. He's implying the diesel in this model is not as good at the CAT in the 6000 series, and that, for the money, the Kawi is a better engine. Any thoughts? Price quoted is $8700. )</font>

He is steering you towards the Kawasaki because it will sit on his lot longer than a diesel. The Diahatsu diesel is great. It's strong running, and very smooth. I strongly recommend you spend a few dollars more and get the diesel. Should you ever need to sell your tractor you will find it easier to sell and you'll get more money for a used diesel than a gas 5000 series Cub. Take a pass on the gas!

YEP it's time to Pass Gas