55HP Tractor

/ 55HP Tractor #1  

presnewt

Silver Member
Tractor
Steiner 440
Looking to get a 55 hp or so tractor with loader. I want 4WD and HST. Use will mainly be bushhogging and box blade/land plane work. Dealers near me include Kubota, JD, Case and Massey Ferguson. Availability will probably be an issue as Case dealer will have no more for quite a while. MF may be several months, same for Kubota. What other brands are worth looking at? I am not familiar with Kioti, Mahindra, Yanmar etc and would rather wait a few months rather than settle for sub par quality. Thanks.

/ 55HP Tractor #2  
I consider Yanmar and Kubota, both Japan based, equal in quality.

There is a Kubota dealer within a reasonable distance of almost everyone. Kubota has important manufacturing plants in Georgia. Kubota parts will likely arrive at Georgia Kubota dealers overnight.

Yanmar dealers are widely spaced.

In Korean tractor brands I rate Kioti and Branson at the top. Near to Kubota and Yanmar in quality. Due to lower labor costs, Korean tractor brands are somewhat less expensive than Japanese tractor brands.

When shopping minor brands such as Yanmar/Kioti/Branson you must evaluate dealer viability/history carefully.

Branson HQ is located in Rome, Georgia, so Branson may be a brand to consider.

Others will differ with my recommendations.

Last edited:
   / 55HP Tractor
I consider Yanmar and Kubota, both Japan based, equal in quality.

There is a Kubota dealer within a reasonable distance of almost everyone. Kubota has important manufacturing plants in Georgia. Kubota parts will likely arrive at Georgia Kubota dealers overnight.

Yanmar dealers are widely spaced.

In Korean tractor brands I rate Kioti and Branson at the top. Near to Kubota and Yanmar in quality. Due to lower labor costs, Korean tractor brands are somewhat less expensive than Japanese tractor brands.

When shopping minor brands such as Yanmar/Kioti/Branson you must evaluate dealer viability/history carefully.

Others will differ with my recommendations.
Thanks, my first choice is Kubota. I will do some research on Yanmar and Kioti.

/ 55HP Tractor #5  
Kioti just came out with the NS series which seems to be a full featured tractor reasonably priced. It would be high on my list of tractors to consider.

https://www.kioti.com/products/tractors/ns-series/ns6010-hst/

1646280283575.png

Here is a pretty good video that shows the differences between the odels.

/ 55HP Tractor #7  
I highly recommend LS tractors, my LS XR4155 with with cab, front loader and hydrostatic drive now has 180 trouble free hours, it’s 55 horsepower .

LS has replaced the XR4155 with a new improved model called MT357 it now has 2 more horsepower and a bunch of other miner but very nice improvements. They come from the factory loaded with nice features that other brand tractors usually charge a lot of extra money for like a set of 3 rear remote hydraulic hookup’s and rear view mirrors are standard equipment.

/ 55HP Tractor #8  
You didnt mention much in the way of loader work or even if you were gonna get a loader.

But for seat time mowing and doing some landplane work....all the 50-60HP HST offerings are gonna offer similar performance without spiraling down the rabbit hole of comparing and nitpicking specs, weights, and lift capacities.

For me and what you are wanting to do....I would focus on 2 things.....1. your dealer support and 2. the ergonomics and how the tractor "fits" you.

The later may be harder to do with current market conditions and limited stock. The deere 4r or 4m series as well as the kubota MX series will check all the boxes you want. Cant speak to other MFG's models.

/ 55HP Tractor
You didnt mention much in the way of loader work or even if you were gonna get a loader.

But for seat time mowing and doing some landplane work....all the 50-60HP HST offerings are gonna offer similar performance without spiraling down the rabbit hole of comparing and nitpicking specs, weights, and lift capacities.

For me and what you are wanting to do....I would focus on 2 things.....1. your dealer support and 2. the ergonomics and how the tractor "fits" you.

The later may be harder to do with current market conditions and limited stock. The deere 4r or 4m series as well as the kubota MX series will check all the boxes you want. Cant speak to other MFG's models.
Thanks, I will be getting a loader for the tractor and I am trying to use the specs of the MX series as my basis for any other tractors I look at. Availability is the biggest question right now. I did a little more research last night and it looks like Kioti may be a contender also. JD makes a good tractor but I have had some issues with one of my JD dealers plus their tractors seem a little pricier than the others. I think I am gonna put Kubota as my first choice and Kioti as my fall back choice.

/ 55HP Tractor #10  
Thanks, I will be getting a loader for the tractor and I am trying to use the specs of the MX series as my basis for any other tractors I look at. Availability is the biggest question right now. I did a little more research last night and it looks like Kioti may be a contender also. JD makes a good tractor but I have had some issues with one of my JD dealers plus their tractors seem a little pricier than the others. I think I am gonna put Kubota as my first choice and Kioti as my fall back choice.
In order to find a MX to buy last year, I contacted 5 dealers within several hundred miles, including my local dealer. One of the adjacent state dealers called me and asked if I wanted one that was ordered 6 months prior but the buyer backed out. In today’s market, you might want to expand your search beyond your local dealer.