5th wheel or gooseneck

/ 5th wheel or gooseneck #11  
My trailers with a pintle are a 12K Cam with a standard donut and a combo ball hitch. It bangs, Send your brother down and ill let him drive. That said, This is not the topic I'm asking about. So back to the topic.
Well, we have a gooseneck that is light on the front. That one clangs a lot when empty. So much he bought air bags to lift the front axle when empty. I don't bother me but him and dad can't stand it. It's bad enough that you'll hear that coming before you hear the truck. Fifth wheel will be your best bet. Don't ever use the convert a deal to make a fifth wheel trailer into a gooseneck. Ive seen two break. They are probably fine for short moves. But with modern diesel truck power and trailer weight, not a long distance item.

/ 5th wheel or gooseneck #12  
A 5th wheel doesn’t bang like a pintle. I’d prefer a GN over a 5th for the convince of not having a hitch IF the trailer is offered from the factory that way. I wouldn’t use one of these bolt on converters. BTW a dedicated pintle hitch doesn’t bang around nearly as much on a dedicated hitch vs one of those combo balls.

/ 5th wheel or gooseneck
Well, we have a gooseneck that is light on the front. That one clangs a lot when empty. So much he bought air bags to lift the front axle when empty. I don't bother me but him and dad can't stand it. It's bad enough that you'll hear that coming before you hear the truck. Fifth wheel will be your best bet. Don't ever use the convert a deal to make a fifth wheel trailer into a gooseneck. Ive seen two break. They are probably fine for short moves. But with modern diesel truck power and trailer weight, not a long distance item.
Thx, the first trip with this for me will be Boston to Daytona and back.. not exactly a short run.

Last edited:
   / 5th wheel or gooseneck #14  
Thx, the first trip with this for me William be Boston to Daytona and back.. not exactly a short run.
Well, 5th wheel is easier to back into and hook up. You may even be able to see it as you back it up. I don't know what tool box or whatever you have. You won't see a gooseneck unless in a reg cab no tool box. Plus if you have a GN ball already, you'll have the best of both worlds.

/ 5th wheel or gooseneck #15  
Find some fuel stops in Florida. Last time I was there cleaning up after a storm, diesel was hard to find. Some regular gas stations had it but you won't fit a camper. I was hauling a dump trailer.

/ 5th wheel or gooseneck #16  
If you're going to campgrounds that are flat then a 5th wheel will help a camper resist the cross winds. But with horse trailers, we go into rough roads, where the off camber ability of a GN is a must.

/ 5th wheel or gooseneck #17  
Have done a little youtube searching but can't really find solid answers. I have a 2021 F450 4x4 diesel. Im going to be pulling a 38 foot camper. It has the standard pin box on it now, and I need to buy either a 5th wheel or I could use the factory installed gooseneck ball mount in the bed. Either way I need to buy something. Trailer weighs about 14k empty. I haven't towed with either set up in the past..Only bumper pulls to date. Im looking for a more comfortable experience, Im told a 5th wheel will still ?chuck" bang around like a pintle hitch does..that would bother me on longer rides.
I had a fifth wheel trailer that I converted to a gooseneck hitch because I hate those big heavy fifth wheel hitches in my truck. I have a hide a ball gooseneck hitch in my truck bed. It worked great for me, but before you do this be sure that the frame on your trailer is built to handle the conversation. Lightweight frames could be bent by the extra leverage of the gooseneck adapter. Fifth wheel hitches are easier to hook up, so that’s a benefit for those. I just don’t want that big hitch sitting in the middle of my truck bed.

/ 5th wheel or gooseneck #18  
I had a gooseneck conversation that I used for over fifteen years without any problems. You just have to buy a high quality heavy unit.

/ 5th wheel or gooseneck #19  
Can you choose what kind of hitch you get on trailer? I had a B&W gooseneck ball hitch installed fr the horse camper when I bought my truck (2006). When we later added a 5th wheel camper, I added the B&W conversion which bolts down to a square tube that replaces the gooseneck ball. It has worked well, no clunking.

Between the two type of hitches, I prefer the gooseneck since it takes up very little bed space and is easy to remove. The fifth wheel hitch blocks a lot of the bed and is very heavy to remove.

I have always wondered why no safety chains on as 5th wheel camper. Semi trucks have them and the mechanism doesn't seem to be impossible to fail.

Ken

/ 5th wheel or gooseneck #20  
Can you choose what kind of hitch you get on trailer? I had a B&W gooseneck ball hitch installed fr the horse camper when I bought my truck (2006). When we later added a 5th wheel camper, I added the B&W conversion which bolts down to a square tube that replaces the gooseneck ball. It has worked well, no clunking.

Between the two type of hitches, I prefer the gooseneck since it takes up very little bed space and is easy to remove. The fifth wheel hitch blocks a lot of the bed and is very heavy to remove.

I have always wondered why no safety chains on as 5th wheel camper. Semi trucks have them and the mechanism doesn't seem to be impossible to fail.

Ken

A semi only has safety chains on a dolly. The main 5th wheel doesn’t use them.