5th wheel or gooseneck

/ 5th wheel or gooseneck #31  
I use a Reese Goosebox on my Grand Design, Lippert only supports the Reese Goosebox for maintaning warranty of frame, no other allows frame warranty to remain active. The Reese Goosebox completely replaces the pin box and has a goose neck riding on an airbag with twin shocks, this isolates almost all mechanical feedback from the truck chassis. I really enjoy the Reese system, it works great for me and my truck does not get chucking from the trailer hitting bumps after the truck does. I do recomend it, but I hardly would say it is an absolute must have. I know that there are other brands that do similar with the suspension placed between the truck and the trailer frame, but unless I am mistaken, none other are allowed by Lippert. I believe I had read that Lippert partnered with Reese for the design and testing of the Reese system and this is why Lippert specifically allows only this one.

/ 5th wheel or gooseneck #32  
What I use for spotting the gooseneck ball is a rubber bungee cord. Stretched across the bed just an inch forward of the ball, with a colored piece of tape or haystring wrapped round it in the center. I can see that in the rearview mirror and aim for it. If it is perfectly setup, it puts the trailer spot on, or very close.

Cheap and effective.

Ken

/ 5th wheel or gooseneck #33  
And most of us have done just that.
For the record, it was not $40K!

20210501_083757.jpg

But I'm still "guilty" I guess...

😁