6.4 Powerstroke in F150?

/ 6.4 Powerstroke in F150? #11  
For me, it is the other way around. I have never been a Toyota fan, but the specs on the new Tundra look impressive for the market segment. To me though, they are a particularily ugly truck. This is interesting, becasue I liked the "new" Dodge body style right away when they made the change from the old boxy style. In this case, it is not because it is a Toyota; it's just ugly(IMHO, of course ;) ).

em14 said:
Paul,
WOW! If they built this one ... everyone would be in their show rooms! And the big three would be there also! That's some truck ....
Leo

/ 6.4 Powerstroke in F150? #12  
RobertN said:
For me, it is the other way around. I have never been a Toyota fan, but the specs on the new Tundra look impressive for the market segment. To me though, they are a particularily ugly truck. This is interesting, becasue I liked the "new" Dodge body style right away when they made the change from the old boxy style. In this case, it is not because it is a Toyota; it's just ugly(IMHO, of course ;) ).

Thats how most feel of the new Chevy front end. The GM is also ugly in my eyes but not as bad.

/ 6.4 Powerstroke in F150? #13  
whitetiger said:
Dodge has a contract with Cummins thru 2011 or 2012 so there is no possible way they could have anything to do with the Toy pickup.

It is possible because Cummins has only contracted for the 5.9 and 6.7L ISB for the 3/4 and one ton market. Shoot, even right now, Ford offers the Cummins motor in some of their larger trucks like the F650.

The contracts all based on what the motor will be used in, not based on the motor by itself.

/ 6.4 Powerstroke in F150? #14  
crabjoe said:
It is possible because Cummins has only contracted for the 5.9 and 6.7L ISB for the 3/4 and one ton market. Shoot, even right now, Ford offers the Cummins motor in some of their larger trucks like the F650.

The contracts all based on what the motor will be used in, not based on the motor by itself.
Cummins and Dodge contract is for ligjt duty trucks. The 650 is medium duty and falls out side the contract. Cummins and Dodge are working on a small V-8 package for Dodge 1/2 tons right now.

/ 6.4 Powerstroke in F150? #15  
Ford's engine was supposed to be a 4.4 liter made in the UK by Rover, and used there in the Discovery. Supposed to be a good mill. Problem is, Ford's broke and the first guy with a few billion can buy Land Rover. That means they can't make a commitment for the engines to be available for the F150, as the new owner might want them. Meanwhile, the competition is lining up their oil burners for battle... Ford needs to get its head out of its behind and step up to the other truck makers or there ain't gonna be an F150.

/ 6.4 Powerstroke in F150? #16  
HappyCPE said:
Ford's engine was supposed to be a 4.4 liter made in the UK by Rover, and used there in the Discovery. Supposed to be a good mill. Problem is, Ford's broke and the first guy with a few billion can buy Land Rover. That means they can't make a commitment for the engines to be available for the F150, as the new owner might want them. Meanwhile, the competition is lining up their oil burners for battle... Ford needs to get its head out of its behind and step up to the other truck makers or there ain't gonna be an F150.

Nothing like speculation with no facts ---

The engine is not made by Rover. It is made FOR Rover by Ford. Rover's new 3.6 liter, TDV8 diesel is built at Ford Motor Company's brand new, high-tech diesel engine facility in Dagenham, England. The Dagenham facility WILL NOT be part of a sale of Jaguar / Rover as Ford uses diesel engines manufactured at that facility in a variety of EU Ford products.

The current information for the F150 indicates the engine will be a 4.4 liter supercharged diesel, based on the 3.6 liter made by Ford for Rover. The 4.4 liter configuration is supposed to have 330 hp and 520 ft/lbs of torque.

However, Ford has yet to decide where the US engines will be manufactured. Because of their deal with Navistar, they cannot produce the engine in the US until the contract with Navistar runs out (end of 2010). So, the new diesel with either be imported from England or manufactured at one of the Ford engine facilities in Mexico.

To quote from a published source - "For several years, Ford has considered proposals for a diesel F-150 pick-up. The company had considered buying the engine from an outside supplier. Now Ford wants to produce its own engine."

The engine orginally considered was a 6 cylinder version of the Navistar Powerstroke. The problem with that engine was they could not make it meet emissions requirements. The engine produced for Rover - BY FORD - already exceeds EU requirements that are more stringent that EPA requirements.

This has been "news" for over a year - really...you need to read the Detroit News Autos Insider, Blue Oval News, Autoweek, or FordF150.net regulary - before rendering opinions on what Ford might be doing.

Lastly, you MAY see a show version of the truck at the North American International Auto Show in January, 2008. The new F150 is slated to go on sale in August of 2008 as a 2009 model - they may have a show version at NAIAS as an model introduction. This is speculation on my part, but based on well circulated rumor mill information.

/ 6.4 Powerstroke in F150? #17  
swines said:
The 4.4 liter configuration is supposed to have 330 hp and 520 ft/lbs of torque.

That's more power than the 7.3L Powerstroke had just a short time ago. I'm not arguing with the facts, just saying how much power do you really need in a 1/2 ton, especially with diesel torque characteristics? This sounds like a useful setup for a 3/4 or even a 1-ton. I had a small diesel for two years (Jeep CRD, 2.8L, 160hp/295ft-lbs) and the engine in it would have served a 1/2 ton pickup just fine. Boost it to about 200hp/350ft-lbs and it would feel just as good as most of the V8 options in 1/2 tons.

/ 6.4 Powerstroke in F150? #18  
i wonder if these 1/2 tons are going to be 8 lugs wheels and 12 lug rear ends? seems with all that tourqe youd have to had that.

/ 6.4 Powerstroke in F150? #19  
On my 2007 f-150 it has 6 lugs but there is a option for the heavy duty tow package and its axles have 7 lugs I believe.

Chris

/ 6.4 Powerstroke in F150? #20  
A loaded 4 wheel drive F150 4x4 crew cab with driver, passengers and full tank of fuel will weigh just a few hundred pounds less than the GVWR. Add a heavy diesel option and the "payload" may be about what a weeks worth of groceries would weigh, providing one doesn't buy the large bag of potatoes.
Diesel in a half ton is a nice idea for mileage, but it may not prove to be the best thing if used to haul any kind of load.