6.4 Powerstroke in F150?

/ 6.4 Powerstroke in F150? #21  
I think they (Ford, GM, Dodge) are making a mistake on the diesels. They should offer some smaller ones in 1/2 tons that may only get 175-200 hp, but good low end torque and 30+ mpg on the freeway. There can always be HO versions, but how about some high MPG's for a change?

When the price at the pump hits 5,6,7,8 bucks a gallon, the wisdom of my words may be grasped. I hope that's not too late for them! ( I heard there is a station in Cal that is already over 5$....)

jb

jb

/ 6.4 Powerstroke in F150? #22  
john_bud said:
I think they (Ford, GM, Dodge) are making a mistake on the diesels. They should offer some smaller ones in 1/2 tons that may only get 175-200 hp, but good low end torque and 30+ mpg on the freeway. There can always be HO versions, but how about some high MPG's for a change?

When the price at the pump hits 5,6,7,8 bucks a gallon, the wisdom of my words may be grasped. I hope that's not too late for them! ( I heard there is a station in Cal that is already over 5$....)

jb

jb
"JB:" I see the trend towards the new diesels already in this "Golden State," with most of the freeways already a "70 mph parking lot!" One can't beat that idling efficiency too? I like the new MB sedan diesel; but the price at full retail is staggering? The new VW Jetta is a better option too? I also see some of the reasoning here with the bio-diesel fuel satisfying the "left coast," that has a very high environmental rating!?"

Diesel fuel here is edging towards $4.00/GAL; about $.50 more than gasoline at some stations. This is in Northern Calif.
LEE

/ 6.4 Powerstroke in F150? #23  
Amen JB,
The story of diesels in U.S. consumer vehicles has become a horsepower race. Everyone out to be the "Baddest". If they can build vehicles for the truck racing "niche market", why can't they build them for the save-a-buck on fuel "niche market"?

The old 12 valve Cummins that went into Dodge pickups in the early 90's were sweet runners, good pullers and got terrific mileage even if they were less than 200HP stock. I still tow with one and have yet to feel underpowered, even with 3.55 gears and 10K in back. Why can't vehicles practical for U.S. roads can't be made with economical 2, 3, or 4 liter diesels?

Heck, small Toyota pickups with diesels were all over south China in the early 90s when I worked there. A little flat-front crew cab Toyota pickup was pretty popular there at the time. It would seat 5 not-so-big Chinese and used either a 1.3 or 1.5 liter diesel. They weren't hot rods, but they never held up traffic...and traffic moved at a good clip where I was. Why has it taken so long to get them over here?

I have a theory that U.S. auto companies share too many Directors with the Boards of the oil companies. But that doesn't explain the reluctance at Toyota and Nissan.
Bob

/ 6.4 Powerstroke in F150? #24  
Honda will be coming out with the Accord diesel next year...63 mpg!! The Accord diesel has been in Europe for a few years; the only issue preventing Honda from selling the diesel now in the USA is Honda has not completed all the training at the dealerships. The Accord diesel is certified for the 2010 diesel emission rules.

Now...will Honda be the first with an economical diesel in the Ridgeline??

/ 6.4 Powerstroke in F150? #25  
Even if Honda put a diesel in the Ridgeline it wouldn't sway the people who want a diesel in a F-150 or other half tons since the Ridgeline is more of a homeowner truck. I know if they release the Accord with a 60+mpg fuel rating it will sell like crazy with the current fuel prices. Heck, I would consider one if I had a use for a car and I am a Ford guy. Hopefully Honda will keep the price down on it unlike the big three truck companies who think you need to spend $6-$10k for the diesel option.

/ 6.4 Powerstroke in F150? #26  
Robert_in_NY said:
Even if Honda put a diesel in the Ridgeline it wouldn't sway the people who want a diesel in a F-150 or other half tons since the Ridgeline is more of a homeowner truck. I know if they release the Accord with a 60+mpg fuel rating it will sell like crazy with the current fuel prices. Heck, I would consider one if I had a use for a car and I am a Ford guy. Hopefully Honda will keep the price down on it unlike the big three truck companies who think you need to spend $6-$10k for the diesel option.

I'm sure Honda will be a responsible company and not put a premium on a diesel engine.
The REAL problem will be the dealers!! Anyone remember in the 1980's when Honda dealers tacked on "dealer premium or markup" to the sticker price?

/ 6.4 Powerstroke in F150? #27  
Chuck_Lind said:
I'm sure Honda will be a responsible company and not put a premium on a diesel engine.
The REAL problem will be the dealers!! Anyone remember in the 1980's when Honda dealers tacked on "dealer premium or markup" to the sticker price?

The availability of a VW Jetta TDI in Fall of 2008, should keep the Honda premiums to a minimum...:rolleyes:

/ 6.4 Powerstroke in F150? #28  
One bad day we're going to wake up to the reality that out of every dollar spent on fuel, we're lining the pockets of some countries whose ideology is fundamentally opposed to ours. We could have more fuel efficient vehicles, but that's not what is sitting on the dealer's lot or being driven on the highway. There is a immediate out of pocket dollar cost and there may be a long term hidden cost yet to pay.