60-80 HP Yanmar with Cab?

/ 60-80 HP Yanmar with Cab?
A couple of years ago I actually sat in one of the cab models at a Rural King. It was probably either the same or very similar model to what Northern sells. I wouldn't completely rule it out (obviously I could be persuaded to go grey market, so how low are my standards!). However, I have previous experience with a Yanmar (outstanding) compared to none with a Chinese tractor. I would be a bit leery unless I had what I felt was a good dealer. Given the information that I have received, I will likely focus my efforts on either a Kioti, Kubota or New Holland.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

/ 60-80 HP Yanmar with Cab? #12  
rtimgray,

If you were in California, I'd suggest you come look at a 1996 V70F 70HP Shibaura 4x4 cab tractor we have. It has a Perkins in it. It has some hours on it, like Buck said. Neat tractor, but there are very few of the larger tractors imported, so any unique parts would be just that...unique, and may have to come from Japan.

Buck, I have't dyno'd this one yet, do you know what I should expect in HP for this model?

/ 60-80 HP Yanmar with Cab? #13  
Goldchaser said:
Understood. Have you looked at some of the Allis Chalmers? Their 7000 series? I have an AC 7020 that I have been happy with though that series might be bigger than what you want. Maybe something for you to check.
Just had a thought also. Have you checked out Northern Tools? They sell an 80 hp tractor branded under their own name. Kind of downside is that its made in China, but what I have heard they arent bad tractors...leastways those that are sold by Northern Tools. And they ship them free. Something to look at I guess. I dont know much more than that about them.

I have been on the chinese site & they also have problems with the chinese tractors. There have been a couple post pictures of brand new chinese tractors with the front axle housing broken and appeared to be very bad castings. Not to sure about the quality controll on these tractors.There may be some ,but I haven seen or heard of a 30 year old yanmar with a broken axle housing. The northern tractors state FREE shipping ,but that price is built into the tractor. If I were going to purchase chinese, there are a couple chinese dealers on that site that post I would purchase from 1 them . they do alot to the tractor b-4 they sell it. There are those with chinese tractors that like them & have had min or no problems.. good luck

ken

/ 60-80 HP Yanmar with Cab? #14  
kenmac said:
I have been on the chinese site & they also have problems with the chinese tractors. There have been a couple post pictures of brand new chinese tractors with the front axle housing broken and appeared to be very bad castings. Not to sure about the quality controll on these tractors.There may be some ,but I haven seen or heard of a 30 year old yanmar with a broken axle housing. The northern tractors state FREE shipping ,but that price is built into the tractor. If I were going to purchase chinese, there are a couple chinese dealers on that site that post I would purchase from 1 them . they do alot to the tractor b-4 they sell it. There are those with chinese tractors that like them & have had min or no problems.. good luck

ken

Hmmm, I wasnt aware of those kind of problems with the Chinese tractors. And you are correct as you said about no broken axles on the yanmars. You are correct in that the shipping from Northern is built into their price but I believe thats mostly because they finance them themselves and its less money out for the buyer up front. Hence, more sales. I dont know if there are different quality standards for the Northern branded tractors than for the same make but non branded chinese tractor. I know there is a difference in some imported tooling and other types of equipment. Different quality standards on branded items versus non branded on the same model.

I have a friend that imports plasma cutters from China. He is the primary distributor for them here in the US and they are branded to his company. He has set the standards that the cutters must meet and the quality. Something that he had to negotiate along with everything else. As a result the cost for a cutter from the manufactorer is higher but it results in fewer end customer problems because of the higher quality. I got one of them from him and I have been quite happy with it. Yet have heard the usual horror stories of other imported brands of cutters.

So what I have seen its almost a crap shoot and you make the best decision you can based on the information you can find and hope for the best. :)

Dennis

/ 60-80 HP Yanmar with Cab? #15  
I have 1 (only 1) friend who has one of the northerntool tractors. It came in WITH A HOLE IN THE SIDE OF THE BLOCK!

He called Northern & whined/moaned and got them to swap out the whole tractor for the next model up for free.

Sorry, but no way will I own a chinese tractor anytime soon.

Wife & I try daily to buy as little from China as possible.

/ 60-80 HP Yanmar with Cab? #16  
jimmer2880 said:
I have 1 (only 1) friend who has one of the northerntool tractors. It came in WITH A HOLE IN THE SIDE OF THE BLOCK!

He called Northern & whined/moaned and got them to swap out the whole tractor for the next model up for free.

Sorry, but no way will I own a chinese tractor anytime soon.

Wife & I try daily to buy as little from China as possible.

I cant blame you for sure when you have personal knowledge of something like that. Whats doubly amazing is that Northern allowed something like that to even be shipped. Though I have never purchased one of their tractors, I have purchased other items from Northern and didnt experience problems but that only speaks for my own experience and may not be company wide.

The China situation as it is today, with all the recalls and the other quality control problems that have come to light in recent times is very serious. Like you, we have stopped purchaseing many things that have come in from there. There is no way of telling how things are now going to shake out with imports from there.

All I can say is that either better quality control is establish on the stuff that they export to this country or they are going to lose a lucrative trade because more and more people WILL stop buying. Time will tell.

This is to all who read this thread. Folks, from some of the replies I have recieved in this thread there seems to have been a small misunderstanding. I am a newcomer to this TBN and was simply responding to this thread in which someone had asked about certain tractors. I simply responded with some suggestions as to some tractors he might look at. I dont have an axe to grind about chinese products nor am I trying to promote their products in particular whether it be tractors or anything else. It could have been a Canadian product or from anywhere else as far as I am concerned. I can only speak to my own personal experience.

So if I have riled some folks, what can I say? Such was not my intent. I have met some pretty nice folks in my short time here and recieved alot of helpful advice. I simply wanted to return the same to others in what small way I could. Maybe that was a mistake. :confused:

I guess I will just be happy that I have my little 155D up and running and just go from there. I wish everyone well and hope that everyone has an enjoyable weekend. :)

Dennis

/ 60-80 HP Yanmar with Cab? #17  
Goldchaser said:
I cant blame you for sure when you have personal knowledge of something like that. Whats doubly amazing is that Northern allowed something like that to even be shipped. Though I have never purchased one of their tractors, I have purchased other items from Northern and didnt experience problems but that only speaks for my own experience and may not be company wide.

The China situation as it is today, with all the recalls and the other quality control problems that have come to light in recent times is very serious. Like you, we have stopped purchaseing many things that have come in from there. There is no way of telling how things are now going to shake out with imports from there.

All I can say is that either better quality control is establish on the stuff that they export to this country or they are going to lose a lucrative trade because more and more people WILL stop buying. Time will tell.

This is to all who read this thread. Folks, from some of the replies I have recieved in this thread there seems to have been a small misunderstanding. I am a newcomer to this TBN and was simply responding to this thread in which someone had asked about certain tractors. I simply responded with some suggestions as to some tractors he might look at. I dont have an axe to grind about chinese products nor am I trying to promote their products in particular whether it be tractors or anything else. It could have been a Canadian product or from anywhere else as far as I am concerned. I can only speak to my own personal experience.

So if I have riled some folks, what can I say? Such was not my intent. I have met some pretty nice folks in my short time here and recieved alot of helpful advice. I simply wanted to return the same to others in what small way I could. Maybe that was a mistake. :confused:

not riled here

/ 60-80 HP Yanmar with Cab? #19  
Dennis,
I don't think there is any one of us here who hasn't stepped on some toes now and then, intentionaly or not. Don't take it personal. Some folks just naturally read something in that isn't there. Stick around.

Bruce

/ 60-80 HP Yanmar with Cab? #20  
I have been reading all of this and I missed something some were . I need to go back and read it again . I miss the stepping on toes .But I can not remember what I read from one day to the next.