6000 clutch adjustment question

/ 6000 clutch adjustment question #11  
Bob, my mistake. I meant to address the original poster and somehow got you confused. Sorry. As a matter of fact your replies are very informative.

Mea culpa a hundres times.

/ 6000 clutch adjustment question #12  
Bob, my mistake. I meant to address the original poster and somehow got you confused. Sorry. As a matter of fact your replies are very informative.

Mea culpa a hundres times.

No problemo...BobG

/ 6000 clutch adjustment question #13  
G'day all, hope you can offer me some advice. I realise this an old thread but I'm having problems engaging the clutch on a 6500, 170 hours on the clock. I've adjusted the clutch to its maximum setting over the months but freeplay is still around 4 inches. It's only when I remove the pedal stop bolt - to let the clutch pedal depress an extra 5mm that I can just engage the gears.:eek:
I spoke to a Mahindra dealer who suggested I should also adjust the pto clutch to balance both up, but I thought the pto clutch was independent - anyhows this side of things is working fine.
Would really appreciate any advice.

/ 6000 clutch adjustment question #14  
G'day all, hope you can offer me some advice. I realise this an old thread but I'm having problems engaging the clutch on a 6500, 170 hours on the clock. I've adjusted the clutch to its maximum setting over the months but freeplay is still around 4 inches. It's only when I remove the pedal stop bolt - to let the clutch pedal depress an extra 5mm that I can just engage the gears.:eek:
I spoke to a Mahindra dealer who suggested I should also adjust the pto clutch to balance both up, but I thought the pto clutch was independent - anyhows this side of things is working fine.
Would really appreciate any advice.

Hmmmm.....4" freeplay??? You probably don't have hardly any clearance to the clutch pressure plate when you push the clutch in the rest of the way...What happens when you adjust the freeplay to 1" as the "book" calls for....are you saying that the clutch does not disengage at all?? by the way the PTO clutch and the trans/engine clutch are together in a "clutch pack". You need to have your dealer look at this, because you don't want to have to replace that pack (as well as I remember its not an insignifcant amount of money....BobG in VA

/ 6000 clutch adjustment question #15  
Hi Bob,
Thanks for your reply. The clutch adjustments nuts will not travel any further along so the minimum amount of freeplay I can get is 4", no less. It's only when I depress the clutch pedal for that remaining small amount I can put the tractor into gear. The tractor is still under warranty, but am just wondering if there are any other adjustments that can be made?

Thanks again.
Darren in Oz

/ 6000 clutch adjustment question #16  
I could be wrong but it sounds like you are going the wrong way with the adjustment. I am not there so I can't see what you are doing. As your clutch wears you should have less free pedal and usually you have to adjust it to get more. Just a thought for you to check.

/ 6000 clutch adjustment question #17  
I could be wrong but it sounds like you are going the wrong way with the adjustment. I am not there so I can't see what you are doing. As your clutch wears you should have less free pedal and usually you have to adjust it to get more. Just a thought for you to check.

/ 6000 clutch adjustment question #18  
Hi Galen,

Thanks for replying. If I spin the clutch jamnut and turnbuckle the opposite way to what I am doing, to see more of the threaded bolt and hence lengthen the clutch linkage, I get more freeplay. I have been shortening the linkage, and with the adjustment at present, there's no more threaded bolt to be seen as the jamnut and turnbuckle have been tightened up as far as they will travel, but still 4 inches of freeplay. Are there any other adjustments I can make? Would this be a symptom of oil on the clutch?

Darren

/ 6000 clutch adjustment question #19  
Hi Galen,

Thanks for replying. If I spin the clutch jamnut and turnbuckle the opposite way to what I am doing, to see more of the threaded bolt and hence lengthen the clutch linkage, I get more freeplay. I have been shortening the linkage, and with the adjustment at present, there's no more threaded bolt to be seen as the jamnut and turnbuckle have been tightened up as far as they will travel, but still 4 inches of freeplay. Are there any other adjustments I can make? Would this be a symptom of oil on the clutch?

Darren

Tomorrow, I will take a look at a 6000 and at the service manual, and see what I can see.

/ 6000 clutch adjustment question
You can try what I did. I disconnected the adjusting arm where it connects to the arm that goes into the housing. I want to see if there was any adjustment left for the clutch. Unless it is different from a car, my thought was that if adjusting the arm shorter would not allow the clutch to engage more, I had all the clutch I was going to get.

In other words, if you disconnect the arm, the clutch should rest in the fully engaged position, meaning the clutch plate and pressure plate are meshed together giving power to the drive train. The only thing I can see that the adjusting arm can provide is free play so that when you push on the clutch pedal, you have a little play before it begins to mechanically move the clutch parts. I could be wrong as I have put a clutch in a car, but never a tractor. As I recall, there is also a spring attached to the pedal, is it in place?