65 massey adaptor plate for front hydraulics

/ 65 massey adaptor plate for front hydraulics #1  

Mean Jean

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L1801 and Massey 65
I知 finally getting around to installing my newly painted loader on my old 65 Massey.
I need to confirm the 3 proper bolts which hold the adaptor plate in place. I知 confident it痴 a three eights but I知 not sure whether its a coarse or fine thread. Unfortunately there is 50+ years of dirt and grime in those holes and it痴 making it harder for me to decide if it's course or fine.
My gut says fine but I壇 hate like **** to crank that thing in and be wrong.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
   / 65 massey adaptor plate for front hydraulics #2  
Hi, Just get some brake or carb cleaner with the straw and clean the threads out:)

/ 65 massey adaptor plate for front hydraulics
Yes, that certainly helped a little bit. I used a few healthy sprays of bolt out followed by the air compressor. The problem is both a three eights coarse and three eights fine will start in the hole but I知 not cranking it tight until I know which one belongs.

/ 65 massey adaptor plate for front hydraulics #4  
I知 finally getting around to installing my newly painted loader on my old 65 Massey. I need to confirm the 3 proper bolts which hold the adaptor plate in place. I知 confident it痴 a three eights but I知 not sure whether its a coarse or fine thread. Unfortunately there is 50+ years of dirt and grime in those holes and it痴 making it harder for me to decide if it's course or fine. My gut says fine but I壇 hate like **** to crank that thing in and be wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated.

They're 3/8 course. I replaced mine last spring along with the adapter plate and some new bushings.

While you're in there, replace the fan belt! It's a real pain to replace once the front pump and adapter are installed!

Pic of the bolt shows my thread chaser against the one of the original bolts that came out. I ran my 3/8 UNC chaser over the bolt first, threaded on by hand with no play.

Attachments

• image-285567106.jpg
    image-285567106.jpg
    484.6 KB · Views: 181
  • image-1146601805.jpg
    image-1146601805.jpg
    595.4 KB · Views: 197
They're 3/8 course. I replaced mine last spring along with the adapter plate and some new bushings.

While you're in there, replace the fan belt! It's a real pain to replace once the front pump and adapter are installed!

Pic of the bolt shows my thread chaser against the one of the original bolts that came out. I ran my 3/8 UNC chaser over the bolt first, threaded on by hand with no play.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply, you致e saved me time and most importantly my sanity.
Did you use spring washers as well?
Are they 1.5 long?

Yes, fan belt for sure. I致e actually run out of adjustment for the alternator as the belt is stretched from years of use.

Started a 3/8 coarse and it fought me the whole time. Backed it out to have a look and the threads seem damaged.

/ 65 massey adaptor plate for front hydraulics #7  
Started a 3/8 coarse and it fought me the whole time. Backed it out to have a look and the threads seem damaged.
Ughhhh... Had a huge response typed out and the app crashed.

Short version, you're going to have to at least chase the threads. I had to when I mounted my pump properly, see pic below after chasing.

Couldn't get the bolts in more than a thread before I chased them.

Also, original bolts had split washers on them and are 1.45" long.

The other pic is how my pump was mounted when I got the machine. Now it's mounted directly to the cast boss on the front of the machine.

Attachments

• image-2073104520.jpg
    image-2073104520.jpg
    600 KB · Views: 199
  • image-1500869012.jpg
    image-1500869012.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 271
Ughhhh... Had a huge response typed out and the app crashed.

Short version, you're going to have to at least chase the threads. I had to when I mounted my pump properly, see pic below after chasing.

Couldn't get the bolts in more than a thread before I chased them.

Also, original bolts had split washers on them and are 1.45" long.

The other pic is how my pump was mounted when I got the machine. Now it's mounted directly to the cast boss on the front of the machine.

Thanks again for the reply.
My 3/8 die is a bit too long to get started. I'm going to buy one from the local bolt store and cut to fit. Weld a nut on the end.
I'm going to tackle this issue over the weekend. Hopefully by Sunday I will have it all ready to go.

Have a great day,

Jay D

/ 65 massey adaptor plate for front hydraulics #9  
Thanks again for the reply. My 3/8 die is a bit too long to get started. I'm going to buy one from the local bolt store and cut to fit. Weld a nut on the end. I'm going to tackle this issue over the weekend. Hopefully by Sunday I will have it all ready to go. Have a great day, Jay D

No problem! I've had a lot of great help from this forum so I try to give back as much as I can.

Hopefully chasing the threads will get you well on your way. Remember to use good oil, and keep backing the chaser out to clean it off. The two threaded holes I posted the pic of above took almost an hour to chase and clean out. But now a bolt will thread in to the end by hand.

No problem! I've had a lot of great help from this forum so I try to give back as much as I can.

Hopefully chasing the threads will get you well on your way. Remember to use good oil, and keep backing the chaser out to clean it off. The two threaded holes I posted the pic of above took almost an hour to chase and clean out. But now a bolt will thread in to the end by hand.

Still fighting with it. I chased the threads for over an hour. At least I know the threads are fine. Problem is I believe there痴 a bit of dirt still at the far end of the holes. The 1.5 bolt with washer will not thread in far enough to clear the bottom of the housing. The bolt head keeps catching as the adaptor spins.

Plan is to run the tap again and again while cleaning the hole with air pressure. Maybe send some bolt out or equivalent in there to help break up the 55 years of accumulated grime.

Frustrating!
This is the 1 step holding up the entire process.