6500 problem

/ 6500 problem #31  
Dave is right, your only choice is to now remove the tank, and as Bob said a good acid cleaning and a coating would be a very good idea.

/ 6500 problem #32  
If the interior of tank is rusting, I will be very disappointed in Mahindra. I don't have any other theory or explanation. I guess it's time to learn how to pull the tank.
I always compare this 2006 Mahindra to my 1969 IH. The IH has tolerated decades of the same fuel, same weather, same sun baking it but just keeps starting and running. When I have anything to do that the 40HP IH is capable of, I prefer it. Mahindra is falling in my rating. I'll reserve slamming them until after I see the actual condition of the tank.
Thanks to all for your help.

/ 6500 problem #33  
Also check your fuel source for the possibility you are introducing contamination into your tank when filling. People that pump fuel out of 55 gallon drums will often be surprised to find their drum has a bunch of water and rust in it.

I accept responsibility for a few years of fuel that could have been contaminated from the 55gal steel drum I used. For the last year though, it has had only highway diesel from 5 gal plastic jugs. No chance for rust from supply.

/ 6500 problem #34  
I accept responsibility for a few years of fuel that could have been contaminated from the 55gal steel drum I used. For the last year though, it has had only highway diesel from 5 gal plastic jugs. No chance for rust from supply.

Hey,
What side of Willis do you live? I am on the East side about 2 miles from the County Line "Y".
hugs, Brandi

/ 6500 problem #35  
I know this is not going to help your immediate problem, but keeping your fuel tank topped off will help keep condensation from building up in your fuel tank and the eventual rust that can acumulate.

/ 6500 problem #36  
Cowsmowmygrass, you can't hardly blame a metal fuel tank for getting rusty. If kept full and devoid of water, they won't rust. But keeping all water out is tough, hence the proliferation of plastic tanks on many models now. We just had an IH574 in the shop with rust holes in the tank, and we have replaced a pile of old Ford tanks. But of course they were much older tractors. You ought to be able to see in your tank with a flashlight. Most likely the tank is fine and is just polluted. It happens even to the most careful folks. Nobody sets out to pump water and rust into their tractor...yet it happens all the time.

/ 6500 problem #37  
Hi Brandi,
I'm on 1484 close to Cedar Ln.

/ 6500 problem #38  
Yes, a full tank reduces condensation and keeps the tank coated with diesel to prevent rust.
So, how important is fresh fuel?
Does it not deteriorate over time? How long can a tank be left in there and still perform?
In our humid climate, we have issues with algae also.
If diesel remains in the tank for a year, with just incremental amounts added a couple times during that year, what kind of issues will that cause?
Are some of the additives ok to use? keep the cetane up, prevent algae, remove water, etc.

/ 6500 problem #39  
Yes, a full tank reduces condensation and keeps the tank coated with diesel to prevent rust.
So, how important is fresh fuel?
Does it not deteriorate over time? How long can a tank be left in there and still perform?
In our humid climate, we have issues with algae also.
If diesel remains in the tank for a year, with just incremental amounts added a couple times during that year, what kind of issues will that cause?
Are some of the additives ok to use? keep the cetane up, prevent algae, remove water, etc.

Good questions. I bet a fuel expert can chime in here and educate us all. Mahindra makes a fuel additive that does all of the above, or at least the label says so! We use it, but we are in a much drier climate so we do not see a lot of algae issues nor so much condensation. The Mahindra fuel additive comes in about a pint plastic bottle and it is good for about 500 gallons. I think it is 1 ounce per 32 gallons, so a quarter to a half ounce per tank would work well for you. I wish it wasn't so concentrated since my mind tells me I need to use more under the theory that if a little is good, more is better! :)

We have a 275 gallon tank we fill our tractors from and we just dump half a bottle in it everytime we fill that tank. So far, we have had no fuel issues. Keep in mind that these fuel conditioners can only disperse so much water. If you have a tank with a bunch of water in it, it needs to be cleaned out. I think the 6500 tank is a chore to remove unfortunately.

/ 6500 problem #40  
Hi Brandi,
I'm on 1484 close to Cedar Ln.

Wow, Your right around the corner from me. Dad and I had a deer lease between Cedar Ln and Browder Traylor Rd. with one side up on County Line. All of that now is subdivision. Let me know if you ever need any backhoe work. I'll cut you a big TBN discount!!!
hugs, Brandi

Last edited: