6500 problem

/ 6500 problem #11  
I have not learned how to change the in-tank mesh filter without losing most/all of the diesel from the tank.

/ 6500 problem #12  
Sitting here in my easy chair with the new paper fuel filter 0010081778R93 trying to put it in the freshly cleaned aluminum housing. Online because I didn't pay attention when I took out the dirty filter. Which end is up? This filter has open paper on one end like the end of a roll of toilet paper. The other end has a metal cap. I think the metal cap goes up? But, I'm not reinstalling and cranking Big Red before I'm sure.

/ 6500 problem #13  
You are correct the metal top goes up.

/ 6500 problem #14  
cowsmowmygrass said:
I have not learned how to change the in-tank mesh filter without losing most/all of the diesel from the tank.

I had an issue with the in tank filter a couple of years ago. I used compressed air at the first filter after the fuel tank. Cleared it right out. I think it may have blown the screen out too. Well I haven't had an issue with the screen since. Personally I think the screen is overkill any way. Nothing should be getting by the two inline filters any way.

Like I said haven't had an issue with it since.

/ 6500 problem #15  
My attempts at replacing the filter with the part number 001081778R93 was unsuccessful. The filter had a felt grommet on the open end that seemed to be the amount of distance I was prevented from pushing the filter up into the housing.
Slept on it. Put on my reading glasses, got in good light and viewed into that can. There was what possibly was the lower felt grommet from the old filter corroded and stuck in there. After careful extraction the old grommet came out and this WAS the distance needed to seat the new filter into the housing. AH! Big Red running again.
BUT, it only ran for about 20 minutes before missing and belching the gray smoke again. Another fuel clog?
I have replaced the in-tank screen filter and the primary can filter. Next, is the secondary can filter? This would be no big deal, just a repeat of the primary filter, BUT there is a tagged wire attached to the bolt on top of the filter. This must be to indicate when this filter bolt is ever removed. Well, I have to remove it to change the filter. The warranty is over anyway, so I see no harm.
Here I go again.

/ 6500 problem #16  
My attempts at replacing the filter with the part number 001081778R93 was unsuccessful. The filter had a felt grommet on the open end that seemed to be the amount of distance I was prevented from pushing the filter up into the housing.
Slept on it. Put on my reading glasses, got in good light and viewed into that can. There was what possibly was the lower felt grommet from the old filter corroded and stuck in there. After careful extraction the old grommet came out and this WAS the distance needed to seat the new filter into the housing. AH! Big Red running again.
BUT, it only ran for about 20 minutes before missing and belching the gray smoke again. Another fuel clog?
I have replaced the in-tank screen filter and the primary can filter. Next, is the secondary can filter? This would be no big deal, just a repeat of the primary filter, BUT there is a tagged wire attached to the bolt on top of the filter. This must be to indicate when this filter bolt is ever removed. Well, I have to remove it to change the filter. The warranty is over anyway, so I see no harm.
Here I go again.

We see stuff get clogged in the banjo bolt openings sometimes. They act like hidden filters, although not by design. Fuel should flow freely from the tank and through the lines. If not, blowing back through the lines with low pressure compressed air (as mentioned already by someone) will identify if that is the problem. Generally that clears up the problem for a while until the crud in the tank clogs up a fitting or a filter again. Pulling the tank is a chore, so try to avoid that if possible. But if looking into the tank with a flashlight shows a bunch of crud, then you should pull the tank.

/ 6500 problem #17  
Does this tractor change the timing for the first 10 min of run time if so then shut off after problem starts then restart and see if the issue goes away if it does then maybe it is a timing issue.

/ 6500 problem #18  
EMB,
I wish I knew how to answer. I know when the sputtering disables it, I have to either let it sit for hours, or open the fuel system, reprime it and start it up after the pump gets enough fuel back into the engine. Then, it all starts over, runs for 10 minutes under a load and sputters again.

/ 6500 problem #20  
My experiences with Mahindra tractors has shown that this particular symptom can be caused by at least two separate problems. One is fuel blockage/starvation due to restriction somewhere. Another is the pump timing issue. My observations of each show the smoke puffs with timing problems will be more blue/gray in color while fuel supply problems cause the color to be closer to white. Timing issues usually occur within the first 150 hrs of operation, you must be well beyond that. With the timing problem, the condition most often comes on after the cold start timer goes off(about twenty minutes), and can continue until the engine is switched off and restarted. It will often return after another twenty minutes or so. The blockage problem can occur at any time, so stopping and restarting the engine will have little or no effect. I suspect your problem is supply related, and would suggest you place a pan below the fuel filter assembly and remove the banjo bolt from the outlet fitting( the line leading up to the injection pump) and observe the flow for a minute or so. Since the filter base is mounted low, the fuel will gravity feed at a good rate. It should continue at this rate until the tank empties, and not quickly reduce to a trickle. This may give an indication of where to go next.