7 1/2 foot disc harrow and 35hp tractor

/ 7 1/2 foot disc harrow and 35hp tractor #21  
Nice harrow Bigballer! Now you just need to add it to your equipment in your signature, hehe.

Looks like you made a great impulse buy!

/ 7 1/2 foot disc harrow and 35hp tractor #22  
bigballer said:
... the front discs are just a couple inches off the ground.
Maybe use chains in place of the vertical arms?

Are the tires squatting down when you lift it? Could you run a little more pressure?

/ 7 1/2 foot disc harrow and 35hp tractor
ok i took it out for a spin and it did ok, set on least aggressive angles it didn't really "dig in" but this is to be expected on well grazed pasture land that hasn't had any love in over 20 years. i'll be posting some "how-to, Do's and Dont's" questions on the actually use of this thing later, for now it's parked safely behind the barn until spring.

so as requested, here are a few more photos of the disc attached to the tractor, the wheels didn't seem to squish down to bad and i ended up with 3-4" clearance up front, so as mentioned i'll just take it ez when going to and from. my soil is silty loam with glacial till underneath which makes for lots of fun golfball to basketball sized rocks to deal with.

it looks alot wider in the pic than it is, my 3pt has a 1980lb capacity and the tractor is 5ft wide so this hangs outside of the wheels by a little more than a foot..

Attachments

• IMG_1808 [1024x768].JPG
    IMG_1808 [1024x768].JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 847
  • IMG_1810 [1024x768].JPG
    IMG_1810 [1024x768].JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 736
  • IMG_1811 [1024x768].JPG
    IMG_1811 [1024x768].JPG
    208.5 KB · Views: 671
  • IMG_1847 [1024x768].JPG
    IMG_1847 [1024x768].JPG
    159 KB · Views: 575
  • IMG_1848 [1024x768].JPG
    IMG_1848 [1024x768].JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 590
   / 7 1/2 foot disc harrow and 35hp tractor #24  
That disc might be a big load on that tractor in fresh plowed ground, but using it to disc un-tilled ground, you should do just fine. My dad pulled a 7-1/2' disc with a 32hp 2wd tractor for years and no ill effects. From all indications, you found yourself a nice disc.

The cast iron boxing vs. sealed bearings is a matter of opinion. I've always favored the cast boxings myself, due mainly to the fact they DON'T wear out as fast as sealed bearings. In the end, BOTH need frequent greasing. (advantage to neither in regards to need for grease) Sealed bearings need replacing as soon as any play becomes evident. The cast boxings can go for ages after they get "sloppy". Unless you're going to be discing hundreds of acres, EITHER TYPE should do just fine, probably lasting a lifetime.

BIG BEE brand is fairly common around here.

/ 7 1/2 foot disc harrow and 35hp tractor #25  
It looks like it'd be easy to weld or bolt on some extensions to lower the attachment point of the lower pins. BTW, you've got a cat in your discs.

/ 7 1/2 foot disc harrow and 35hp tractor #26  
If you end up worrying about the weight, you may not want to go over things twice as the second time the soil will be more sloppy and you might get less traction.

Looks good though, wish I would have found one like that for next to nothing, I think we all do. Nice work.

/ 7 1/2 foot disc harrow and 35hp tractor #27  
Measure your top link and go to Tractor Supply and buy one that is 2-3" shorter. Should help you get it higher off the ground. Offsetting the bottom pins would also help.

/ 7 1/2 foot disc harrow and 35hp tractor #28  
If I were you, I'd adjust the gangs closer together in the center. The front gangs should almost have the blades touching each other (about 1/8" clearance would be good). Why? Look at the pic from the rear (#1810) and see how large of a strip of untouched earth you're leaving behind. It looks like you're leaving a 14-15" strip of ground untouched. Not good. The rear gangs are a little far apart as well.

Looks like you've got a good unit, but right now it certainly has some setup issues.

You can't eliminate the strip of untouched dirt, but you can minimize it. Most ag disks have a cultivator sweep right in the center of the disk that gets the narrow strip that the gangs cant get. John Deere used to "stagger" the gangs, so that the right gang started cutting right where the left gang stopped in the center. This worked, but it had some ridging issues with it as well.

Also, the key to properly operating a disk is not to go as fast as the tractor will pull it, but to go no faster than where the disk gives a good level finish to the worked ground. If you're piling up a big ridge behind the disk where the rear gangs throw the dirt back together, you're going too fast. 3 to 5 mph is about right, depending on the gang angles and the soil type.

/ 7 1/2 foot disc harrow and 35hp tractor #30  
I would think most folks that know the difference would buy your box frame disc over a new angle frame disc. That would put it in the $750+ price category around my part of the world - if it still looks like the pictures of a few years ago.

A new box frame disc that size is going to cost $1200 for a low cost model....and several hundred more for a name brand. Still....it isn't new.

Based on the above.....If I was selling it, I'd ask for $795. or, mabye $895. and post it on CL. :confused: