74 John Deere 830 Hydraulic lift won't go up

/ 74 John Deere 830 Hydraulic lift won't go up
Yes what you stated sounds correct. Is spring intact & connected correctly?

I believe so. I wasn't sure where it went, so I had to figure it out. I think its right, but I will have to check everything.

I am just having all kinds of fun with this. I took the cover off and the follower is broken. I don't know when it broke. It may have broken when I got the cover off. Everything in the cover looks fine. The follower looked like it had been welded before, so maybe it was weak. I can only hope.

When I move the quadrant on the rockcover with the cover upside down, the top valve moves in and out, but the bottom valve never moves. I might have a cam or a linkage part in wrong. I will go through the drawing again and see if I can see the problem. I am thinking that both valves should go in and out as the quadrant lever is moved up or down.

/ 74 John Deere 830 Hydraulic lift won't go up #13  
I think both valves won't move without cam follower in contact with roller & spring connected correctly.

I think I may have had the follower in wrong. I think I need to turn it over.

/ 74 John Deere 830 Hydraulic lift won't go up #15  
I started it up today. As soon as the tractor starts, the 3pt lift starts going up. It goes all the way up and stays there. I move the lever to the down position, but the arms won't lower. When I shut off the tractor, the arms bleed slowly down. I stand on them and they lower a little faster. As soon as I start the tractor, they go up again. I suppose I didn't put something together correctly in the rockshaft housing. I will dismantle it again tomorrow, but I can't think of what it might be.

Did you release the needle valve that controls hitch drop speed completely? (Under the seat on many tractors.) If so, maybe some of that plastic gunk has clogged it for you. If not, well, there's yer problem.

Did you release the needle valve that controls hitch drop speed completely? (Under the seat on many tractors.) If so, maybe some of that plastic gunk has clogged it for you. If not, well, there's yer problem.

That valve is a ball bearing. I had all of that out and cleaned it before reinstalling, so I don't think there is a problem there.I went through the entire rock shaft and cylinder, and I think I got all the plastic out.
I think the problem is in the linkage. I am waiting on a part before I can assemble it.

/ 74 John Deere 830 Hydraulic lift won't go up #17  

Rate of drop screw on JD tractors only affects lowering but has nothing to do with raising of 3 pt hitch

/ 74 John Deere 830 Hydraulic lift won't go up #18  
Rate of drop screw on JD tractors only affects lowering but has nothing to do with raising of 3 pt hitch

Of course, as in all tractors. But lowering was his problem.

/ 74 John Deere 830 Hydraulic lift won't go up #19  
Of course, as in all tractors. But lowering was his problem.

That's odd BUT the title of the thread reads as follows "74 John Deere 830 Hydraulic lift won't go up".

Sorry I didn't finish this post right away. I ended up getting some help from a local JD mechanic in Seguin. He adjusted everything so that it all works fine. I am going to drain the fluid again and check the screen again after it is run a little. It all is working fine, but I am paranoid that it may still have some of those hose pieces in it. I want to thank everyone for help on this. Especially Tx Jim. Part of my problem was that once I got it all put together again, I did not know how the draft setting was supposed to work. In one setting, the lift will go all the way up when engaged. In the other setting, it will go up incrementally.