800 $ down the drain ?

/ 800 $ down the drain ? #1  

1948berg

Gold Member
Tractor
A Fergie-MF 35 gas- Mf 165- Mf 6161- Unimog- Fiat 880
What happends when you tongue is faster then your brain? You buy an old Jacobsen lawn mower for $ 800 from a guy you work with without knowing the production year, horsepower, or the state of the machine. Jacobsen is little known in Norway, parts are probably hard to get.
Any comforting words out there?????

Attachments

• Jacobsen 1.jpg
    Jacobsen 1.jpg
    507.9 KB · Views: 455
  • Jacobsen.jpg
    Jacobsen.jpg
    517.8 KB · Views: 321
   / 800 $ down the drain ? #2  
If it runs well and the engine is in good shape, you probably aren't too bad. What kind of engine is it?

Parts might be able to be found on Ebay

Trying to look at the bright side.

/ 800 $ down the drain ?
It is a Kohler engine. Notice the starting fluid on the seat!

/ 800 $ down the drain ? #4  
1948berg said:
It is a Kohler engine. Notice the starting fluid on the seat!

Yep can sitting on seat is pretty much telling it all. Most Kohler engines will run a long time as long as there is oil in them. The carbs gum up if old gas is left in the tank. Best to pull the carb and clean the ports.

Starting fluid is really your enemy.

/ 800 $ down the drain ? #5  
Just what I was going to ask you (starter fluid) Back in '76 I spent 6 weeks in Denmark, as a student and the honesty really amazed me. -Ed

/ 800 $ down the drain ? #7  
I'm thinking Jacobsen is now part of TORO. They make a lot of golf course equipment

/ 800 $ down the drain ? #8  
1948berg said:
What happends when you tongue is faster then your brain? You buy an old Jacobsen lawn mower for $ 800 from a guy you work with without knowing the production year, horsepower, or the state of the machine. Jacobsen is little known in Norway, parts are probably hard to get.
Any comforting words out there?????

In the U.S., Jacobsen turf equipment is used a lot on golf courses. It's considered professional equipment. Often, Jacobsen will purchase products from the OEM and rebadge them with their name. I have a three-wheel dump cart that is a Jacobsen and it was built by EZ-Go. Buying EZ-go parts saves me about 1/2.

If you want to keep and fix that mower, just know that because it's a Jacobsen, the parts will be very expensive, maybe twice as expensive as other products. Look for an engine serial number or a serial number of the mower or both. That number will probably have a code for the date of manufacture. Since it doesn't look too old, it may still have manuals and parts available. It looks like what they call a "rough cut rotary mower" to me.

/ 800 $ down the drain ? #9  
I have a Jacobsen out back that looks just like yours, except it has reels instead of a mower deck.
What is wrong with yours? I may have just the part you need, lol. I purchased mine as one of a pair via an online auction. I knew about the two mowers, but was spending my money on the Ford 7710. When the Ford started getting too high, I decided to go after the mowers. I bid on the first, so the auction would extend 15 minutes, but before I got to the second one, which was the running one, the auction ended. So I got the parts machine with the better motor, but not the one that was complete.
Mine has a Kubota diesel in it, by the way and is a model LF-128.
Jacobsen is a Textron Company.
David from jax

/ 800 $ down the drain ? #10  
Kohler are good engines. Made in Wisconsin I believe. As long as it wasn't blown up, it should last a long time. The first place I was start is the carb, like WayneB said. If gas sat in it for any amount of time, that is the likely culprit(sp). Take the bowl off and either replace the pin or clean it and the bowl out. You may be able to clean it out if you can get it to run for a second by spraying carb cleaner in the muffler and get it to start that way.