8N Carburetor Leaking

/ 8N Carburetor Leaking #1  

8N_John

Silver Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N
Gas has started leaking out of the bottom of the carburetor of an 8N I recently bought. There is a small hole (about 1/8 inch) centered at the bottom of the carburetor that it's leaking from (dripping at a good pace). Not sure if there is suppose to be a plug there or not?? Should this hole be plugged for good?

/ 8N Carburetor Leaking #2  
I would not do that... the hole you describe is there just for that purpose. what is happening is the needle valve is dirty or has dirt under it and that hole lets the extra gas leak off as it should. Remove the carb. and clean and inspect for dirt or water and any thing other than gas. For the cost I would say replace the needle and seat. that is a real simple carb. and very easy to repair. good luck.

/ 8N Carburetor Leaking #3  
sounds like your needle is stuck or your float has a hole in it, take it off and dissasemble it and rebuild it, a kit is about 25 bucks for them, and they are a very simple carb so dont be affraid as you should be on many auto carbs from the 70s and 80s

/ 8N Carburetor Leaking #4  
My 8N had a gas shut-off valve located just under the fuel tank on the sediment filter unit. It was recommended to shut-off the fuel supply after using it for the day or several hours to prevent leakage.

However, mine did not seem to leak if I left the fuel on. You probably have a piece of dirt on the neddle valve seat or the float has become saturated with fuel and is keeping the neddle valve open once the bowl is full.

TSC has rebuild kits as well as the Ford / New Holland dealerships. The kit cost me less than $20.00 a few years ago and took about and hour to install. The instructions are very good and it is a simple task.

Randy

/ 8N Carburetor Leaking
Can someone check to see if there is a standard hole centered at the bottom of the carburetor? Mine was about 1/8" in diameter. Talked to someone else who thought there was just and indention, but no hole. If that is the case, then maybe I should go ahead and have the hole plugged??

/ 8N Carburetor Leaking #6  
If you plug the hole the gas is still going somewhere. My guess would be the oil pan......teddy

/ 8N Carburetor Leaking
Do you think the previous owner drilled the hole to prevent flooding??? The hole does look like something a 1/8" bit could have created.

/ 8N Carburetor Leaking #8  
From your posts it seems that you are bound and determined to plug that hole. I would not do that until I got a manual or rebuild kit that shows the carb and what goes where. If you take it apart and rebuild, you will find out where the hole goes and if it should be there.

/ 8N Carburetor Leaking
I'm really not deadset to patch the hole. I simply want to find out if anyone else with an 8N has a round hole in the bottom of their carburetor. If it's not suppose to be there, then I'll patch it. One person I talked to mentioned they thought there was an indention at the bottom, but not a hole???

/ 8N Carburetor Leaking #10  
I would go on the side of caution and drop the bowl and see where the leak is coming from and if it is indeed a rust hole or an overflow problem.