8N Carburetor Leaking

/ 8N Carburetor Leaking #11  
If it is a schrebler bowl carb. That 1/8 hole would have had a drain screw in it.
I would drill the hole, tap and fit a fine bolt. It is used to drain dirt from bottom of bowl. While you are at it - buy a rebuild kit as many others have suggested.

lloyd

PS: Lots of info on net for rebuiling old carbs.
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ 8N Carburetor Leaking #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Can someone check to see if there is a standard hole centered at the bottom of the carburetor? Mine was about 1/8" in diameter. Talked to someone else who thought there was just and indention, but no hole. If that is the case, then maybe I should go ahead and have the hole plugged??
)</font>

Look... you've been told already not to plug the hole air horn hole.. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif.. but looks like you really.. really want to do it.. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

The MS carbs ( assuming you have a ms carb.. and not the zeinith ) had an air horn drain, and a pipe plug on the bottom ,the plug was the drain for the bowl.. the air horn is for precisely what people have been telling you.. to drain off excess gas from a flodded carb. If you plug that hole, gas will simple come out of the mouth of the carb ( where the air comes in ). If it is the pipe plug that is missing, gas will flow straight out of the carb, as fast as it can thru the gas line... that doesn't sound like what you are describing... sounds like you are talking about a drip of gas from the air horn. I agree with the others.. probably a leaky float needle or misadjusted or bad float, causing excess gas to build up and then overflow/drain.

Tisco makes 2 kits for the tsx 33/241 carbs. A basic for about 20 bucks.. and a 'better' kit for about 30 bucks. main difference is the better kit has preplacement needles. The float must be bought seperately.. if you need one. Refurbed or new aftermarkets are going for about 139$ or so.

Some chemdip, and pipe cleaners and bits of thin wire are all thats needed to clean that carb. Also.. check to see that the elbow that goes into the carb still has a metal screen on it.. if not.. that is one place where crud is getting under the float needle.

Soundguy

/ 8N Carburetor Leaking
If I decide to buy a carb kit, it there a carb model # I need to find? Where do I find it? I have a 52 8N.

/ 8N Carburetor Leaking #14  
That 8n should have a M/S 241B carb on it.. however any of the earlier variants could have been swapped over to it.. including the TSX 33 from the 9n/2n. For all intents and purposes the tsx 33 and 241 are the same carb. ( so are the new ms look-alikes from TSC ). The manifold mount and gasket is the same.. throttle and choke hooks up the same.. fuel line hooks up the same.. visually looks identical... idles speed set screw, idle jet, and main jet adjust the same. The same master kit for the 241 will rebuild a 33.. same jets, needles, float.. etc. ( may have been minor manufacturing differences in the idle or economizer sections).. but all the replaceable parts are interchangeable. Tsc sells a 25 and 35$ kit..the main difference is the 35$ kit has a few extra parts and the idle and main needle replacements.. some ectra felt packing.. etc.

If you have a zeinth carb.. all bets are off.. but you can get kits for it online as well.

Soundguy

/ 8N Carburetor Leaking #16  
I also have a 52 8N that is overflowing fuel out the Air filter stack side of the carb. I have rebuilt the carb with new seat and needle valve. I don't think i replaced the float but been a few days of hectic family things going on so i can't remember. However: if I did replace the valve seat and float what else could it be.

I have found that the previous owner plugged up the power sand (air Horn) hole so now i have to drill and re-tap a hole and screw for it. and found that the float has gas in it so i need to go purchase a new float as well.

Does anyone know how to remove a brass screw w/o messing up the inside threads so that i can just replace the original screw. It'd be much easier lol

Last edited: