Buying Advice 8N vs JD950

/ 8N vs JD950 #11  
As a first or only tractor, the JD 950 stands far above the 8N Ford. There are 40 years of advancement in the JD. The drawbar tractors of the 40s and 50s make great second tractors, but not as primary tractors.

/ 8N vs JD950 #12  
As a first or only tractor, the JD 950 stands far above the 8N Ford. There are 40 years of advancement in the JD. The drawbar tractors of the 40s and 50s make great second tractors, but not as primary tractors.

i wouldn't class the N as a 'drawbar' tractor so much. it actually had a 3pt hitch.

something with no hitch.. I'd call strictly a drawbar tractor.. etc.. ;)

/ 8N vs JD950 #13  
Soundguy,

You are correct about the 3pt. Still I would hate to have to really work an 8N hard all day. I would be crawling into the house at the end of a day. It is hard for me to admit it, but I am not a young pup anymore.

/ 8N vs JD950 #14  
Soundguy,

You are correct about the 3pt. Still I would hate to have to really work an 8N hard all day. I would be crawling into the house at the end of a day. It is hard for me to admit it, but I am not a young pup anymore.

all depends on the individual as you point out..

I look forward to working with them old tractors.

My 'every day' tractors are ford rowcrops.

same basic tech as the N. minor advancement in hyds.. but still non live pto..e tc.. etc.

love em. wouldn't have it any other way.. my most used is a 55 950 trike... next is a 55 850 with a 2 post loader for moving hay.

neither have live pto.... etc...

/ 8N vs JD950 #15  
I agree, the 950 will be much easier to use, but the 8n is a classic. Easy to get parts for, easy to work on, and will handle anything you can throw at it. Im no mechanic, and id much rather wrench on an old gasser than a more modern diesel. For years we did everything on our farm with the n. The 950 will be much more user friendly, but don't count out the n for getting the same work done.

/ 8N vs JD950 #16  
if it was an 861 / 961 ford vs the 950 jd it would be an easier clear choice. ;)

/ 8N vs JD950 #17  
if it was an 861 / 961 ford vs the 950 jd it would be an easier clear choice. ;)

Agreed. I'd love a powermaster. I'd trade my two 8ns for one 861. And I'd definitely take a 861 over a 2wd 950.

/ 8N vs JD950 #18  
oh yeah.. I'd make that trade all day. 2 N's for a powermaster.. especially a rowcrop.. etc.

/ 8N vs JD950 #19  
I also grew up in NE Ohio with an 8N and currently have a Yanmar that is similiar to the JD 950. There is no comparison, also something that no one mentioned is that the 8N does not have a differential lock. The JD will push snow and grade the driveway better than the 8N just because of the diff lock. The 8n we had when I was a kid couldn't hardly move in the snow without chains and even then it wasn't great. The only thing the 8n might do better is pull a small plow just because of the weight but even that is questionable. The yanmar diesel in the JD will sip fuel compared to the old flat head gasser. Just my opinion!

/ 8N vs JD950 #20  
sounds like someone isn't familiar with split brakes or ballasted tires.

;)