Buying Advice 8N vs JD950

/ 8N vs JD950 #31  
I don't know if you are willing to admit their greater fuel economy, and better power/weieht ratio than the later Jubilie and 600, that replaced them, but those are easy stats to look up.

You should have tried looking those stats up. The 8N has the least power to weight of any of the machines you mentioned.

Giving the 8N the credit of a later model, they weigh 2,410lbs in basic configuration, and have a drawbar rating of 22hp. 22/2420 = .0091hp/lb.

A 53 Jubilee/NAA weighs 2,550lbs in basic configuration, and has a drawbar rating of 27hp.
27/2550 = .0105hp/lb

A 600 series weighs 3031lbs in basic configuration, and has a drawbar rating of 29hp.
29/3031 = .0095hp/lb

The 860 the OP bought weighs 3,400lbs in basic configuration, and has a drawbar rating of 39hp.
39/3400 = .0114hp/lb.

They are all 2-plow tractors, the slightly more power, of the Jub. and 600's, does not justify the weaker hydraulics, in my opinion.

Weaker hydraulics? The 8N can lift 800lbs on the 3pt. The NAA can lift 800lbs on the 3pt. A 600 can lift 1,250lbs on the 3pt, and so can the OPs 860. How does 50% more lift equal "weaker" hydraulics?

The whole thing about "you'll get used to non-live hydraulics, and non-live PTO" is just silly. Even doing something simple like dragging a blade to clear snow is a tiring, slow, operation with an 8N. Put it in gear, drop the blade, let out the clutch, move forward, stop, push in the clutch, take it out of gear, let out the clutch, raise the 3pt control lever to lift the blade, push the clutch back in, put it in reverse, let out the clutch, back up, and repeat. No matter how good you are, or how used to it you are, it's a lot slower, and annoying after a while. Start talking about something like brush hogging, or finish mowing, and it's actually worse in some situations....wonder why I replaced my 8N with something that had a live PTO, and live hydraulics? To save time, and not wear out my left leg.

/ 8N vs JD950
pictures of the 860:

IMG_20140225_173536.jpgIMG_20140225_173544.jpgIMG_20140225_173551.jpgIMG_20140225_173559.jpgIMG_20140225_173607.jpgIMG_20140225_173629.jpgIMG_20140225_173641.jpgIMG_20140225_173653.jpg

/ 8N vs JD950 #33  
Nice....she's got a lot of life left in her!

/ 8N vs JD950
You can see its it a little rough (rust on fenders, etc), but was painted recently. First experiences are positive -- starts really well -- even on cold days, no throttle, give it a little choke and it starts and idles nicely. When I rev the throttle, it blows some black smoke -- not sure if that is normal -- seems like it might be running a little rich or something. When pulling under load, it does not smoke and seems to have good power. Really need to get a better exhaust solution as with the current configuration I'm breathing it during operation. Hydraulics work well once I figured out the Hy-Trol adjustment. Oil pressure gauge works, but the rest do not. Also need to wire in some lights so I can plow snow after dark.

/ 8N vs JD950 #36  
Thanks everyone for your input.

I ended up getting a Ford 860 with a back blade. Price was between the 8N and JD950, so seemed about right. Needs a little work like adding exhaust pipe (currently just a short pipe off the muffler), lights, etc, but overall seems to run good. I agree 4x4 would be nice, but I figured I'd try this for awhile and see how it goes.

Congrats- should last a long time AND be more capable than the 8n or the JD except for maybe a really low 1st gear on the 950? Being a Full 3 plow tractor with live PTO:thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / 8N vs JD950 #37  
if you think there is any difference in changing an implement on an 8n vs a later model.. that makes me think your experience of the 2 may be off?

hooking a mower to a 660 and an 8n should be exactly the same.

same with a plow.

i'll take an ohv engine.. especially that red tiger over the flat head any day. they just breathe better.

There were a ton of N's made. for the parts that are interchangeable.. there's plenty out there.

for some of the unique stuff.. availability is less. I think you are arguing semantics on the parts availability issue. there are common parts that span the 39-64 ( and beyond ) range. there are parts that span the 39-52 range, parts that span the 39-47 range and parts that span the 48-52 range and parts that span the 48-50 range, likewise, parts that span 52 OR 53 -54 years, parts that span 52-64, 55-57, 58-62, 55-62, 63-64 etc.

for the most part.. ALL fords without SOS, have EXCELENT parts support. I can go buy parts just as easily for my 52 8n as for my 55 660. on the other hand. parts for steering for my 46 sn are a LIL harder to come by as are parts for a 48 8n with the old style steering box! No new sectors being made! Still beating a dead horse on the parts issue. Aside from the sos models. I doubt that there isn't anything that can't be found by looking. Heck.. even my offsets and their funny steering can be found from a parted machine.. ( but not new.. that steering box was a 1-of kinda thing ).

You are 100% mistaken by saying the hyds on the later models are weaker. N hyds are only 1500-1700 psi, and are non live. you see 2000-2250-2500 psi on the later machines. thus stronger!

I've done plenty of work with my machines, including the N. Plowing, mowing, loader work, backhoe, etc. With nearly 30 of them.. I have a pretty good handle on durability between models!

I know you like the hundred series Fords Soundguy, and you are certainly intitled to your opinion. I simply don't have the same opinion, and no one will ever convince me that 1951, and 52 8n's are not the best tractor of all time. It sounds like you do recognize, that they have the best parts availability of any tractor today. I don't know if you are willing to admit their greater fuel economy, and better power/weieht ratio than the later Jubilie and 600, that replaced them, but those are easy stats to look up. Personally, I don't believe you have worked your hundred series tractors hard enough to make a real good call on durability. I have worked 8n.s and 600's on many hundred acres and I have seen for myself, the far greater durability of the 8n's hydraulics, especially. They are all 2-plow tractors, the slightly more power, of the Jub. and 600's, does not justify the weaker hydraulics, in my opinion. I don't have any experience with the larger than 600 series, in the 100 series, but a lot with 2000's and 3000s, both in diesel and gas. Again, they had advantages, particularly live hydraulics, and pto, and were very dependable. The advantage of the 8n over them, to me, was the less weight, and much easier implement changes that I can do on the little 8n. We will just have to agree to disagree I guess. I am with you on brands anyhow.

/ 8N vs JD950 #38  
Soundguy, I stand corrected on the power/weight thing. Thanks for the correction. Also, I did not word the "weaker" hydraulics correctly, and I can see where what I wrote did not match what I meant. Sorry about that, and it was totally my fault. By "weaker" I meant "less dependable". As I mentioned, I have a lot of experience with the 8n, the Jub., and the 600, and have seen the 8n hydraulics hold up better, each time. The Jubilees and 600's, that I have used, have needed major hydraulic work, over roughly the same number of hours and amount/difficulty of work, than the 8n's. In fact, the last 600 basically just gets used now, and has for the past 20 years (or more) with non-functioning, busted, hydraulics, to pull hay wagons around. It does a real good job of that, but sometimes it would be nice to have it available to work 3pt attachments. Thankfully, now-days we always have the 8n, and a few other modern tractors, to provide working hydraulics for 3 point power. I don't believe we have ever had any hydraulic issues at all with any of the 9n/2n/8n's. Are you willing to admit that the 51 or 52, 8n will use less gas, plowing the same field in the same condition, than the Jubilee, or 600 with a 2x12 plow. I seen that happen, and gas is not cheap these days. So much for the "superiority of the OHV engine". Eventually, Ford figured the OHV's out, but they definitely struggled in the early years. I also may have made a mistake in the power/weight thing, although it don't look like a significant edge in favor of Jubilees and 600's. Certainly not enough to make up for the poorer fuel economy, "less dependable" hydraulics, And poorer parts availability. Speaking of parts availability, it don't look like I can get an exhaust manifold at the local "Tractor Supply" store, like I was able to do last time, 25 years ago, when the store was "Central Tractor". Where do you suggest I get a replacement manifold, and how much do you think it will cost? My 8n no longer my primary tractor and no longer gets used real hard. All I care about is cost for the new manifold, and I could easily get by with a cheap Chinese replacement. I definitely appreciate your knowledge and support on Ford tractors, thank you in advance here. I am not now, and have not been exclusive to that brand, in quite a few years now, but they are still at or near the top of my preference, and the 51, 52 8n's are still my all time favorites, based on how they have treated me over many years. Currently, I am also running a Farmall Cub (Light snowplowing, spraying apple trees, mostly cultivating corn), Allis Chalmers "C" trike (light disking, great visibility in the woods dragging logs-way better than a wide front tractor), JD 4120 diesel, 4wd with R1 tires, 4wd, and loader (does most of the work these days), JD 750 (mostly lawn-mowing, snow-blowing), and JD M (grandpa bought new in 1950, plows a medium sized garden each year with the 2x12 plow it came with). Those 5 other machines have taken much of the load off the 8n the last several years, and they are all very dependable tractors. I don't like any of them quite as well as the 8n however. The 600 is one I operated as a "hired man" as a youngster, at a big farm down the road. I think they have made enough money the last few years, to finally fix the hydraulics, and it has definitely gotten a fresh paint-job. Thank you very much, as I have always found talking tractors a lot of fun. Especially these days, as I am stuck in the house and out of work for at least 3 months, recovering from some major brain-surgery, where an 8.5 cm diameter tumor was removed. Thankfully, it was 100% non-cancerous, but my doctor told me that I would not have seen 2015 if he had not got it out when he did. I sure feel a lot better now than before, and will not take life for granted again. Someday, I hope to operate a tractor or automobile again, or lift more than 10 pounds, but not today, per my doctor. Please don't worry about offending me, if our views differ, and believe me, this is a lot more fun than most of the other activities, to which I am currently restricted.
Your fellow Old Ford Lover, wolc123
P.S. Right now my Dr., per this weeks visit, wont even let me do oil changes on the tractors, all of which need that.

/ 8N vs JD950 #39  
my local tsc has N and the universal gas 53-64 manifolds. ( 1 each ) on the shelf.

dealer has them. YTmag..e tc. on the later manifolds. they are all the universal style to fit the small or large carbs via slots in the ears vs holes.

as for fuel economy.. ohv's are more efficient than flatheads. fuel usage is going to be a function of load.

You can see the slightly superior power to weight ration.. that would lead me to believe that the small carb naa and 600 vs an 8n.. you will get favorable, perhaps negligible results out of the oHV.

as for OHV's not being good. Ford Red tigers are VERY good OHV engines. Better than continental in my opinion.

The NAA would be the exception on hyds. It was the transition model due to the lawsuit. it has the worst hyds parts availability except for maybee also the 6000 with the accumulator. Adding to the NAA's hyds issue is the vane pump..very poor ( $$ ) parts support.. that's why the piston pump came out. Very GOOD parts support!

I'd much rather pull a pump from a 53+ model than an N.

on an N you have to pull the pto shaft and drop the pump which is the base of the center housing!.. on the 53 plus.. it's just plumbing and a couple bolts.

no one is making 100% new pumps for the N or the 00 series.. so that leaves rebuilds. rebuild parts for the N have drastically dropepd in quality lately. I believe some places are trying to make N and ferguson belly pump parts interchangeable.

add to that chamber covers etc. and ill fitting gaskets.

For the nAA+ someone is making an adapter to put on a regular off the shelf 2 bolt flange pump.. so that is a BIG plus.

live hyds is a nice thing. live pto can be lived without easier IMHO

/ 8N vs JD950 #40  
ps.. when you get to the 01 series and larger carbs. especially on the 8/9xx series. THEN you get into fuel hunger issues. Zenith repalcement carbs are also hungrier than MS original and as original repop carbs..