953B Rotary Cutter/TC33

/ 953B Rotary Cutter/TC33 #1  

Bradey

Tractor
JD 955
Is a 5' medium duty 953B rotary cutter compatible with a TC33? The specs on the web for this cutter say "Model 953B gearbox is rated at 40- or 60-PTO hp, depending on width" (5, 6, or 7'). Hate to show my ignorance but does this mean a 40 hp (PTO) tractor is minimum or maximum for use with a 5' cutter? The brochure doesn't show the 953B at all, so not clear whether it's an option for this or even larger Boomer. However, dealer seems to have no problem recommending it for TC33.

Also, the used 953B I'm looking at is bent in the rear in the corners and lacks check chains. Is it possible to add these chains at this point? I'd really like to have them, especially due to bent backend.

/ 953B Rotary Cutter/TC33 #2  
Bradey, the hp rating on the gearbox is the maximum hp it's guaranteed to handle. I'm not familiar with the model you're talking about, but the rating is OK for your tractor. Bent decking or housing can be straightened, and I don't know about the availability of factory chain guards, although you could certainly make your own.

Bird

/ 953B Rotary Cutter/TC33 #3  
It means 40pto maximun you are always better off to try and go larger if possible for the gearbox rating. The rating means how heavy duty the gearbox is.

I'm sorry I don't understand about the check chains what are they for? The cutaway rear is great for turning tight corners I would never own a squareback unless I had a bunch of open field to cut with only ditches around it.

Gordon

/ 953B Rotary Cutter/TC33 #4  
Ok Bird we have to get this straight are the check chains to restrain movement or are they in fact chain guards for the front and rear of the mower.

Is the cutter bent from use or was it made that way?
Well pto rating is pto rating bigger is better.
Gordon

/ 953B Rotary Cutter/TC33 #5  
bradley, the gearbox rating is max. tractor hp but.......there is no universal standard for rating them. companies can rate them as they please.
as for the chains, i would not use a rotary cutter without them. i punchured a tire while i was waiting for mine to come in. it is also very dangerous to have someone near where you are mowing.

/ 953B Rotary Cutter/TC33 #6  
Yeah, Gordon and Bradey, if it's "check chains" used to prevent the front of the mower from dropping too low, that's easy; just get some chain cut the right length and attach them. Chain guards, on the front and back, to prevent the cutter from throwing things at you is a little more difficult or expensive. And I was assuming the deck has been bent from backing into or turning it into something solid, like a tree (which isn't too unusual)./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ 953B Rotary Cutter/TC33 #7  
Ok Bird how do the check chains work? Where should they attach or usually attach? Does your cutter have them?

Never mind guys I just did a search and Duh thats what I run on my 8n just never called them check chains. Always called them front height chains.

How about this is it better to have a rigid toplink or use chain for a toplink?
Thanks
Gordon

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by gordon on 9/16/00 11:10 PM.</FONT></P>

/ 953B Rotary Cutter/TC33 #8  
Bradey,

In the NH brochure it shows your tractor's recommended implements as the 951B 60" or 72" Rotary Cutter. I don't know it these are lighter duty or not. Seems to me that if the 953B is heavier duty, it should handle it fine since it will handle a 72". /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

My Mighty TC18 handles a light duty Woods 4' rotary cutter with no problem, so yours should handle a 5' like a "walk in the park"! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Of course, as always, it depends on what you're cutting.

Good Luck, JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ 953B Rotary Cutter/TC33
I meant, chain guards in the front and rear. The 953B cutter comes standard with them now, apparently not when this used cutter was ordered. What's the expensive part about installing them, assuming they are even available as a part?

/ 953B Rotary Cutter/TC33 #10  
Bradey,

I don't think he meant expensive to install, just to buy.
I purchased a Woods 5' 3 pt. rear discharge FINISH mower with my tractor over a year ago without a rear chain guard. I decided this summer that safer is better and proceeded to my New Holland dealer (also my Woods dealer) to order and purchase the rear chain guard. Retail was over $100 but the dealer sold it to me for around $70. I'm guessing that on a rotary cutter the guard would be stronger and more expensive, but don't know that for sure.

Some guys on here have talked about a guard made of rubber or belt material and those are less expensive.

Good Luck, JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!