99% finished on the 3000

/ 99% finished on the 3000 #11  
It seemed that them little Ford deisels had so much more guts than the gassers. I had a 3000 gasser and a 2000 deisel and the 2000 could really outwork the 3000, especially on a plow or bush-hog. Unfortunately, it became ether-addicted and I had to let her go a few years ago at 7000+ hours rather than pouring all the cash into a rebuild. Still, what a tough little tractor and I was able to sell it for a few hundred more than I paid after getting 10 years of nearly touble-free service out of it. To its credit, the 3000 gasser is still going, but not too strong compared to that 2000 deisel in its prime.

/ 99% finished on the 3000
Good Mornin Chris,
That came out very nice !

That tractor is capable of many jobs. Mowing and raking come to mind first, but what a nice inbetween size it is !

Beautiful job, enjoy ! :)

Yep.. she will be relieving my other tractors with loaders on them from mowing.

it's overkill for my 5' mower.. but more maneuverable than my 850 or 660 with loader.. and way so more than my 5000 or 7610s with large mowers.

soundguy

It seemed that them little Ford deisels had so much more guts than the gassers. I had a 3000 gasser and a 2000 deisel and the 2000 could really outwork the 3000, especially on a plow or bush-hog. Unfortunately, it became ether-addicted and I had to let her go a few years ago at 7000+ hours rather than pouring all the cash into a rebuild. Still, what a tough little tractor and I was able to sell it for a few hundred more than I paid after getting 10 years of nearly touble-free service out of it. To its credit, the 3000 gasser is still going, but not too strong compared to that 2000 deisel in its prime.

I had not had a chance to run a 2000/3000 diesel before... this is my first one.. have run plenty of gassers.. and yep.. I almost bought a 2000 gasser when this one came available.. deffinately feels more torquey.. in their defense.. the holley carb on the gassers can be cantankerous if not maintained correctly.. the 2000 I test drove needed choke to richen it up to make it run in high gear... I'm way glad I got the diesel..

soundguy

/ 99% finished on the 3000 #14  
Down where you are, you will also not have to worry much about the cold-sarting trouble with some of them older deisels. I never even used mine in the winter for that reason, using my old 8n instead for plowing the snow out of the driveways while the 2000 spent the winter in the barn. That looks like a great job on the restoration.

could always get block rad, oil sump and manifold heaters if needed.. but florida usually don't get that cold but for a handfull of days anyway..

soundguy

/ 99% finished on the 3000 #16  
could always get block rad, oil sump and manifold heaters if needed.. but florida usually don't get that cold but for a handfull of days anyway..

soundguy

I bought a new gas 3000 in '73 to have a good "cold starter" for winter feeding, ect. ..... M.I.S.T.A.K.E. That was the most cold natured, miserably hard starting tractor I ever owned. (Holley carb.....) Later on, I traded it on a diesel 3000. Never failed to start in the coldest weather. It was ALMOST as good of a cold starter as the Perkins diesel in my Massey!!!!! (But not quite;) )

Last edited:
   / 99% finished on the 3000 #17  
You did a beautiful job on that 3000! Looks like it just came out of the factory. :cool:

I bought a new gas 3000 in '73 to have a good "cold starter" for winter feeding, ect. ..... M.I.S.T.A.K.E. That was the most cold natured, miserably hard starting tractor I ever owned. (Holley carb.....) Later on, I traded it on a diesel 3000. Never failed to start in the coldest weather. It was ALMOST as good of a cold starter as the Perkins diesel in my Massey!!!!! (But not quite;) )

I looked at a 2000 gasser 3cyl before I got this 3000 diesel.. and that holley carb was acting up.. needed lots of choke to start and run smooth.... those holley carbs don't get many good comments.. except for perhaps fuel economy, vs the zenith that get better comments.. except for fuel economy :)

soundguy

/ 99% finished on the 3000 #19  
I looked at a 2000 gasser 3cyl before I got this 3000 diesel.. and that holley carb was acting up.. needed lots of choke to start and run smooth.... those holley carbs don't get many good comments.. except for perhaps fuel economy, vs the zenith that get better comments.. except for fuel economy :)

soundguy

Yeah, mine didn't burn much gas at all.....when it wouldn't start....;)

/ 99% finished on the 3000 #20  
Same here.. i stick with acrylic and alkyd paints... more forgiving.. easier to work with.. cheaper.. and decently durable if you apply them correctly and maintaint he machine.

here's my 'finished' 3000 with a kk hog behind her.. just mowed a couple ac with her.

soundguy

Looks great. You're one quick puppy when it comes to getting your old iron painted and the tractor back in the field.

Seems like it takes me forever to make progress on my restoration projects. Last week the engine for my 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF went to the machine shop (cylinder honing, 0.020" oversize pistons/rings, 0.010" off the crankshaft, 0.010" undersize main and rod bearings, exhaust valves, valve seats for unleaded gas; flywheel, head, block ground flat). Ordered the parts today. Crankshaft machining this week. Hope to have the engine back together late next week. Meanwhile, paint removal work (really boring).