a good place to get angle steel??

/ a good place to get angle steel??
Ain't been to skool in a long time, but I know a GOOD teacher when I encounter one. :reading:
No diameter wire under .023 is there? At least at the tip store I've never seen any smaller than 023.

Bring a couple of C-clamps to clamp it to your trailer when you cut it with the hacksaw. Make one cut near the center and the 2 pieces should lay diagonally in the trailer bed. Don't forget your tape measure and square to lay out the cut where you need it.

Was planning on wearing my old teeth and chew through it.:D:yummy:

Just read some on 'stickout'. My tip is way inside my nozzle (maybe 1/4" -5/16" in) , so stickout is long. Maybe that's one reason I get big ugly beads.
I think if my tip is more even with or even protruding just a hair past the nozzle end shouldn't I get a smoother and more penetrating weld? I tried adjusting the tip to protrude more by unscrewing it some to get it where I want it, but now it's loose in the gun. Should I leave it loose or maybe trim down the end of my nozzle, or do they make a longer tip?
I know somebody will have a suggestion for me, but just welding advice will suffice. :laughing:

/ a good place to get angle steel?? #74  
My steel supplier has a sign that says $1 per cut, but every time I buy more than one or two 20 foot pieces, he seems to "forget" about the cutting charge. He charges by the pound and the cost seems to end up about 25% of the hardware store cost.

Some are nice, many are not... oh wait, what's this? :D

Hey Mark, I just called BMG for prices and you're right. Been throwing my money away for years.
1 - 20' length of angle is just a couple bucks more than what the hardware stores charges for a 4' length.
BUT get this, they want $15 for each cut after I asked them if they can cut it in half for me.
KW

They are kind of like the large steel yard in our area, in that they hose you on cuts. I look mainly for drops there. We have a smaller place that is more expensive but they just charge by the inch, so they have built in some sort of base cut charge "overhead" into their pricing. If I need small stuuf, I go to the smaller yard or the Fleet Farm/Menards/Home Depot, depending on what I need and what time I have. Now clearly I won't buy 20' of angle from HD, but if I need a short piece, they are open when I am free, and it only amounts to a couple bucks total. If I can, I pick up extra drops when it is a common size so I have it even cheaper than in a 20' stick. A common size of angle (like 1.5" sq x 18" angle) might be worth finding a way to get a 20' stick home, or bring a hacksaw (or battery powered sawzall or grinder with cutoff wheel) and whack it in half yourself.

Use your head and buy smart. Sometimes you just can't beat HD when you need it, but many other times you can with some planning...

/ a good place to get angle steel?? #75  
Bring extra blades...they are cheap.

Chances are if you put on enough of a sad face, they will cut it for you and not charge you. Use a limp and keep clutching your chest (LOL). Nobody wants some old guy to drop over in front of their business keeping paying customers away.

Thanks for the smile. :)

/ a good place to get angle steel?? #76  
Just read some on 'stickout'. My tip is way inside my nozzle (maybe 1/4" -5/16" in) , so stickout is long. Maybe that's one reason I get big ugly beads.
I think if my tip is more even with or even protruding just a hair past the nozzle end shouldn't I get a smoother and more penetrating weld? I tried adjusting the tip to protrude more by unscrewing it some to get it where I want it, but now it's loose in the gun. Should I leave it loose or maybe trim down the end of my nozzle, or do they make a longer tip?
I know somebody will have a suggestion for me, but just welding advice will suffice. :laughing:

FWIW - I am a newbie welder like you. I mean.. i did some welding in high school shop class with a stick welder, but thats it. I borrowed my neighbors wire/mig welder so i could fab something up awhile back and it totally sucked. I thought it was my technique or something. Well, let me tell you i went and bought myself just an entry level Hobart Handler 140 and it was like night and day difference. I still need gobs of practice, but my welds are substantially better on my new machine. Just a thought for you.

Here is a vid clip of some welding practice I did. (my first ever time welding with gas shielding) http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=U...eature=player_detailpage&v=0JjJ-o1kbzY#t=277s
I need practice, so you might be able to compare your welds to mine and feel better. :D

/ a good place to get angle steel?? #77  
No tighten the contact tip up!

The amount of stickout is a very fine control of voltage. Increase the stickout and the voltage goes up, (to a point then it falls flat). Shorten the stickout and the voltage goes down. High voltage / long stickout is a hotter wetter puddle. Low voltage / short stickout is a cold dry puddle. I've had gas nozzles that I had to sand them down. Generally I like them where the contact tip is even with the end of the gas nozzle, but I also like adjustment where I can have the contact tip out beyond the gas nozzle a little bit.
With most Mig wires, and flux core self shielded, (T-11) wires, I like to run about 3/8-inch stickout. With T-8 wires you have to run as much as 3/4 to 1-inch stickout.

Attachments

• Mig guns.JPG
    Mig guns.JPG
    235.4 KB · Views: 121
No tighten the contact tip up!

The amount of stickout is a very fine control of voltage. Increase the stickout and the voltage goes up, (to a point then it falls flat). Shorten the stickout and the voltage goes down. High voltage / long stickout is a hotter wetter puddle. Low voltage / short stickout is a cold dry puddle. I've had gas nozzles that I had to sand them down. Generally I like them where the contact tip is even with the end of the gas nozzle, but I also like adjustment where I can have the contact tip out beyond the gas nozzle a little bit.
With most Mig wires, and flux core self shielded, (T-11) wires, I like to run about 3/8-inch stickout. With T-8 wires you have to run as much as 3/4 to 1-inch stickout.

Thanks Shield Arc, AGAIN! You're quickly becoming my welding guru!

FWIW - I am a newbie welder like you. I mean.. i did some welding in high school shop class with a stick welder, but thats it. I borrowed my neighbors wire/mig welder so i could fab something up awhile back and it totally sucked. I thought it was my technique or something. Well, let me tell you i went and bought myself just an entry level Hobart Handler 140 and it was like night and day difference. I still need gobs of practice, but my welds are substantially better on my new machine. Just a thought for you.

Here is a vid clip of some welding practice I did. (my first ever time welding with gas shielding) Beginner Welder. First time with gas. - YouTube
I need practice, so you might be able to compare your welds to mine and feel better. :D

Thanks pancho. Your welds are worlds better than any of mine, and you were on 1/4" plate. My outfit, with gas, hardly gets hot enough for 1/8" and says it can go up to 3/16". Your filming skills could use a little practice - when you held up the plate most times it was off screen. A friend of mine has your same outfit and loves it. Another bud has the 180, I think the biggest if the 110V's, and can do almost anything with it. If I ever can afford to upgrade I'd like to go with the 180. One thing I can suggest, that helped me greatly, is get a self darkening helmet, even a cheap one - helps loads when you can see your work! I saw your other thread and vid of the lights you installed on your BX - looks great, fine job!!

/ a good place to get angle steel?? #80  
Panchohughes save that stainless steel for something else! Get your self some mild steel flatbar about 6-inches long, practice lap joints, and fillet welds. Being as you are right handed, try welding from right to left. Also try holding the gun in your right hand like you have been, but place your left hand around the outside of your right hand, with your left forearm on the table.

You need to secure that argon bottle! NOW!:shocked: