A little teaser

/ A little teaser #1  

fruitcakesa

Veteran Member
Tractor
M6040 JD 450C
I have been lazy and complacent and have not yet put on the chains, box blade and plow but when we got a 2 inch fall last week, I had/wanted to get some snow seat time just for kicks.
Driveway was not yet frozen but the snow was light and fluffy so I took it easy and left a skim.
The bucket is still on and last night another 2 inch "storm" with 40* and rain predicted. This snow is heavier, packable.
The driveway is now frozen so I can now scrape a bit. I got out and cleared my folks and ours.
I do need to get the snow removal set up installed as I got some push steering and wheel spin when I was pushing a full bucket load.
Pics of my drive 1-up towards the shop, 2-looking back down from the shop and 3-from the shop up the the road.
It is steeper than it looks and I can easily spin with no chains and sometimes with them

Attachments

• IMG_2008.jpeg
    IMG_2008.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 141
  • IMG_2010.jpeg
    IMG_2010.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 140
  • IMG_2009.jpeg
    IMG_2009.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 135
   / A little teaser #2  
I am in no hurry to get started;my front plow is not on yet and only takes five minutes to change from bucket.Rear blade is on if needed.
We got the same in Northern NY.

/ A little teaser #3  
Cool pics, were you in 4wd when you got the spinning and push steering?

/ A little teaser
Cool pics, were you in 4wd when you got the spinning and push steering?
When the snow flies in my yard I am always in 4wd. Chains are the answer but I have been too lazy;)
I will have to bite the bullet next nice day and do it.
At least I finally know the "easy" chain install after fighting with them for years.

/ A little teaser #5  
Oh, now I need to know if you've already got a thread or post about the "easy way". I'm going to get through this winter before I decide if I want chains but I'd like to know your method.

/ A little teaser #6  
Oh, now I need to know if you've already got a thread or post about the "easy way". I'm going to get through this winter before I decide if I want chains but I'd like to know your method.

1. 2wd in a tractor means only rears will apply brakes...not good in snow/ice so stay 4wd if for no other reason than braking.
2. If you have hills you can expect your machine to behave similar to fruitcakesa as he has very similar tractor. However you have a blower where he is relying on the weight of the machine for pushing/plowing. You may be able to get by without chains...time will tell.

I use blower and chains...I have a pretty steep hill and don't want surprises.

/ A little teaser #7  
Thanks for the info. Like you said, time will tell if I need chains or not. I guess I'll just keep mine in 4wd until I pull in the barn and approach the dry concrete pad. No big deal there.

/ A little teaser #10  
See why chains would be BIG help if the driveway should ice over,