A lost Asset in Auto Transmissions

/ A lost Asset in Auto Transmissions #22  
Even "turNing off" the traction control doesn't shut it off, I have. 2012 ram 2500 with a manual t case and it will not let you flog the Truck unless your in 4 low.

The traction control is just about useless for all but the inept. I cant stand it making a decision for me. I buy good tires that are more than likely overkill, but sometimes you need to do some digging g before traction is available.

/ A lost Asset in Auto Transmissions #23  
The traction control in our 2013 Chrysler Town and Country minivan works OK. I can test it any time I like by going up our driveway's (gravel covered and very steep) final hill slowly or stopping on the hill and trying to restart. The traction control system will always engage and while there will be some wheel spin you will make it up the hill. Then in November I put on a set of Blizzak snow tires. Now I can stop on the gravel covered hill and start back moving without ever slipping a tire and the traction control no longer comes on.. The dry traction with these Blizzak snow tires is very noticeable over the stock Michelin tires that came on the car. I can't personally say how well they will work when we finally do get some snow, but I am hoping if the dry traction improvement is any indicator they should do well.

/ A lost Asset in Auto Transmissions #24  
I just feather the throttle to prevent spinning. Then again using proper winter tires instead of All Seasons greatly increases traction .

/ A lost Asset in Auto Transmissions #25  
+1 This is how all regular automatic transmissions operated. TH350, TH400, TF727, C4, C6, and virtually every other common automatic. The big change was the manual shifted electronically controlled automatics introduced in the past 10 years. Now you select D or M, and then select + or - to manually select a gear if you want to control anything.

The GM 4L60E has been around since the 1992 production year.23yrs.

/ A lost Asset in Auto Transmissions #27  
I've seen lots of funny sights at boat launching ramps, at least a couple of which resulted in the towing vehicle going into the water. But my first showroom new car was a 1962 Austin Healey Sprite (first year that wasn't a bug eyed model) and I had a local mechanic make and weld onto the frame a trailer hitch. I used to pull my Dad's 16' Texas Maid Fiesta boat with a 35 hp Evinrude outboard. I never had a problem at all, but when I got on a launching ramp to launch or retrieve the boat, I usually drew a crowd waiting to see if I could do it.

Had a similar Fiber-Flite 16' made at the same plant in texas... ours is a Sportsman model with 35 Evinrude.

I've towed it with everything from a Model A to my Mom's 1972 Toyota... still have the clamp on bumper hitch last used on a Ford Granada...

Every summer we would see vehicle end up in the lake at Tahoe... and usually there would be a sheen from the oil/gas. I'm guessing today that would warrant the Coast Guard as there is a Coast Guard station at Lake Tahoe.

Most of my towing has been with automatics... never with an Auto with traction control.

Last edited:
   / A lost Asset in Auto Transmissions
You didn't purchase a FWD NOX and then wonder why it spins? The wife's AWD Terrain with Michelin Ice X 2 tires will push snow with the front end while driving up hill.

Not at all. The post was about how auto manufacturers are screwing the usefulness of transmissions up. I'm real happy your wife's car can push snow up hill.

/ A lost Asset in Auto Transmissions #29  
Lots of vehicles, my pickup included, have Traction Control Systems that reduce power to the wheels if a slip is detected. It can be disabled if necessary. I wonder if this system works as well or better than starting in second gear?

TC is handy if you're already moving on a slippery road, haven't found it does much good getting going from a stop and is worse than useless off-road. This statement based on my experiences with the '07 Turdra I had for a company truck at my last job. Maybe it's different on newer/other vehicles.

If I had the money for a new car, I'd be getting a manual, so I haven't played with the new automatics - there may be one out there that does what you want.

Yeah, lotsa luck on that. Aside from entry-level econoboxes, not many vehicles can be gotten with a manual anymore. "Manual mode" on an automatic isn't the same thing.