A Major Shortcoming???

/ A Major Shortcoming??? #1  

Henro

Tractor
Kubota B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini EX
I think I saw mention of this in other threads but at the time did not realize what was being talked about.

From what I can see the new software has a major issue, one that makes the site much less enjoyable to use (for me anyway). That is, when I read a thread and then come back, I have no indication where the thread was at when I left it the last time. Each time I click on a thread I start at post number 1.

Used to be that when returning to a thread, I was taken to the first post that was added AFTER I left. That was easy. I could pick up where I left off without thinking or wasting time.

Now I have to start at the top and try to find the first new post that I have not read yet.

Can you imagine if you were reading a novel, and everytime you set the book down, someone closed it? What a distraction that would be, having to read through/scan pages until the point you stopped at is found. Actually I know we have all been there one time or another...

I know from a post Bird made that you can go to quick links and mark all threads read, but I don't want to do that since it takes time to read all thread before clicking on that button, and during that time some posts may be added.

Is there a "mark this thread read" button? Could such a button be added?

Or is there a simple way to accomplish what used to be that I am missing?

Grateful for any insight, as I am finding this current situation makes my visits to TBN less enjoyable...

/ A Major Shortcoming??? #2  
Henro said:
Is there a "mark this thread read" button? Could such a button be added?
Yes, at the top under Quick Links, you can mark all forums read. When in a forum, under Forum Tools, you can mark the forum read.

/ A Major Shortcoming??? #3  
You shouldn't have to mark each individual thread as read. I visit three other forums that use vBulletin software and they all appropriately display read threads. I really like vBulletin. This read threads being shown as unread is an admin issue.

/ A Major Shortcoming??? #4  
Henro said:
I think I saw mention of this in other threads but at the time did not realize what was being talked about.

From what I can see the new software has a major issue, one that makes the site much less enjoyable to use (for me anyway). That is, when I read a thread and then come back, I have no indication where the thread was at when I left it the last time. Each time I click on a thread I start at post number 1.

Yes, this was talked about in the new forum thread. There's a lot to pick through, but most issues and "what the..." are addressed. Don't click on the actual thread, click on the little box with the arrow in it next to the thread name. This will take you to the next unread reply.
This did not work for me at first, then started working and something else stopped working. Now all is fine.... for now :)

/ A Major Shortcoming??? #5  
I've been in/out of town for last 4 weeks. Just got in yesterday and came here. I feel totally lost.

I agree with the comments about marked threads being a bummer... ALSO (and this may have been discussed already), I miss the "view ALL" selection.

At work, I've got a fast machine/connection and I just hit all so I can easily scroll to my desired location. I really hate the multiple pages...strike me as highly inefficient (for the reader)

Oh well.. if i had to choose the above 'nitpicks' (which for me, they are) OR NOT have TBN... I guess I'll shut up about my nitpicks.

/ A Major Shortcoming??? #6  
Richard said:
I really hate the multiple pages...strike me as highly inefficient (for the reader)
I'm not clear on exactly what you are asking for. If it's number of posts per page, then

UserCP
Edit Options
Number of Posts per page

Select up to 40 posts per page.

I'd also suggest (not specifically to Richard) that people simply post what they are trying to do and someone can provide the proper instructions. If it's not possible to do, it can be added to the list of future improvements.

/ A Major Shortcoming??? #7  
On the main Discussion page, at the upper right, beneath the 'Welcome, {your userid}, is Quick Link. Click on it and there's an option to Mark All Forums Read.

When you are in a Forum, right above the Last Post column is a link called Forum Tools. Click on it and there's an option to Mark This Forum Read.

/ A Major Shortcoming??? #8  
I wasn't referring to number of posts per page... but as I recall, you could click "view ALL" as in all PAGES.

If there were 10 pages (each with 40 posts), you could click view all and you'd have one big long thread available to you. You'd then be able to scroll up down from start to finish without having to hit the next page.

Perhaps I don't recall it correctly, as I HAVE been somewhat occupied for the last month.

/ A Major Shortcoming??? #9  
JayC said:
You shouldn't have to mark each individual thread as read. I visit three other forums that use vBulletin software and they all appropriately display read threads. I really like vBulletin. This read threads being shown as unread is an admin issue.

We have it set so that...

1. Threads are marked read when you view them.

2. Forums are marked read when all threads in them have been read, OR when you use the mark this forum read option.

Does it not work like that for you?

/ A Major Shortcoming??? #10  
The new software seems to handle repositioning after looking at an attachment differently. After looking at a picture say in post #8 the screen rolls back up to the top of the page and I have to scroll back down to where I was to continue.

Rick