a pic of my 52 8N

/ a pic of my 52 8N #21  
Chris,
Nice..very nice!!..What a beauty your Ford 8N has become once again. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Thanks for the photos.

/ a pic of my 52 8N #22  
Looking at the rear view of your "Henry" reminds me that the owners of those tractors were obliged to make a special hitch for them that replaced the pin hitch that is shown under the differential housing of your tractor. What they would do is make the hitch out of a wider piece of plate steel, and two threaded rods went down through it. The top end of the rods had two little tombstone shaped pieces with a hole in each of them, and THOSE connected to a long pin which went horizontally through the row of holes high up on the differential. That arrangement kept the hitch from breaking off the tractor and taking the section of cast iron that it was bolted to along with it. We farmed in CA where they had lots of fruit orchards, and these little 8N's were used to pull heavy, single-axle trailers out of the orchards. They would hit a bump and see the hitch break off, followed by a big glob of oil. We had to do the same thing....only slightly different....to our John Deere(s) to keep the hitch on when we pulled hay balers which in those days had a LOT of tongue weight and jerked back and forth constantly.

/ a pic of my 52 8N
If I get time tonight, I'll go see about putting the decals on.

Soundguy

/ a pic of my 52 8N #24  
Soundguy:
Well while no one was looking I leaned forward and gave my puter screen a quick "sniff" just see what your wifey was talking about, well I'm thinking I smell a slight hint of windex but hey who am I to say what you keep your tractor clean with /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif from one Florida tractor lover to another she looks good must be fun to take her for a spin out in the pasture.

Whiskey

/ a pic of my 52 8N
It sure is fun... just gotta stay outta 4th... no shocks.. brakes are only fair.. and the terain is only mostly flat!

Soundguy

<font color=red>Well while no one was looking I leaned forward and gave my puter screen a quick "sniff" just see what your wifey was talking about, well I'm thinking I smell a slight hint of windex but hey who am I to say what you keep your tractor clean with from one Florida tractor lover to another she looks good must be fun to take her for a spin out in the pasture.

/ a pic of my 52 8N #26  
Reading your post makes me want to go over to our big grainery and push open the big wooden doors. There in the semi darkness of the interior sits our vintage JD Model A. The classic look of the back end of that JD, with the box seat and the single lamp looking at you is, well,.....just SO John Deere!
I've spent this last three weeks harvesting corn and driving all late model tractors with power this and power shift that, and huge turbocharged diesel engines. After so much high-tech stuff, the simplicity of that JD is refreshing, and I often wish the times we lived in were once again as simple and straightforward as they were when our JD was new.

/ a pic of my 52 8N #27  
I hear you CJDave and agree. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Just something about those quite gaints that gives one a good peaceful feeling w/in...guess its in our blood. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ a pic of my 52 8N
Friday I don't have to go to work untill 4pm, so i am going to apply the decals then.
When I go out to clean my horse stalls at night, Sometimes I pause to glance over at the 8n, and just wonder what all it has done in its life... farms, and such.

Soundguy

/ a pic of my 52 8N
On another note, I might mention a 'funny' I had about a week ago when i was doing the finishing assembly on the 8n.. headlights, grill, etc.

I needed to remove some adhesive masking tape from the grill before painting it.

I remembered my wife used something called goo-gone to remove stickers.. I toted the grill into the kitchen, and plopped it into the sing... the goo-gone worked great. I then had to really suds it up to get the goo-gone residue off so I could paint it...
Well, as would happen... wife comes home with me washing a piece of the tractor in the kitchen sink.../w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

Question to everyone else out there... Am I the only one to do this.. or is it really common? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

soundguy

/ a pic of my 52 8N #30  
My better half give me the /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif once,when she saw me remove 6 welding rods from the electric stove once....just wanted to warm them. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif