A recommendation please

/ A recommendation please #1  

Trafficman

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota, BX22
Hello all. I'm a new member with a BX22 FEL, BH, 54" MMM, Rear blade, & 3PH Splitter. Great Machine IMO, but beside the point which is:

My SIL has 8 acres in the Poconoç—´. Gentle rolling hills, 200'-300' paved driveway uphill to a gravel parking area. She needs a tractor to mow a 8' path around & down the center of her "meadow" (1-2 acres) and clear her driveway in the winter. She is planning on paving the parking area next year. She isn't sure that my opinion isn't biased so she has asked for me to get a consensus. So here we go.
Gas or Diesel
Horsepower range
Deck size
Plow blade or Snowblower
Other 3PH attachments.

Thanx T-Man. :)

/ A recommendation please #2  
I'd say you would be 30 hp max with diesel always getting a head over gas just 'cause they work better. A blower is better if you need the room that pushing snow leaves, but if it's paved with room to shove over the snow...the unit you have sounds great. I am too new to have the last word on this, just mho.

/ A recommendation please #3  
I would also agree that a 30 horse diesel would cover the bill. introduce her to the group and she can make her own inquires to the many questions she may have

/ A recommendation please #4  
Gas or Diesel: Diesel [just my preference]

Horsepower range: 20 to 30

Deck size: up to 60 inch. maybe consider a three point mower.

Plow blade or Snowblower: neither, a FEL instead.

Other 3PH attachments: As needed, perhaps a rear blade to compliment the FEL for snow removal.
:D:D

/ A recommendation please #5  
Trafficman:

Welcome to TBN :D! I agree with Egon :). Once one has a FEL they find amazing uses for it. Try to keep it simple. I would also recommend a rear PTO driven finish mower and/or a rotary cutter for the field. They are a lot easier to attach and detach and give the operator much more ground clearance than a midmount mower. Jay :)

/ A recommendation please #6  
Hello all. I'm a new member with a BX22 FEL, BH, 54" MMM, Rear blade, & 3PH Splitter. Great Machine IMO, but beside the point which is:

My SIL has 8 acres in the Pocono痴. Gentle rolling hills, 200'-300' paved driveway uphill to a gravel parking area. She needs a tractor to mow a 8' path around & down the center of her "meadow" (1-2 acres) and clear her driveway in the winter. She is planning on paving the parking area next year.
She isn't sure that my opinion isn't biased.
So she has asked for me to get a consensus. So here we go.
Gas or Diesel
Horsepower range
Deck size
Plow blade or Snowblower
Other 3PH attachments.

Nothing wrong with a biased opinion that's correct.

/ A recommendation please #7  
I have a BX2200. I mow paths around the edges and down the center of a 13 acre field using the 60" MMM. I have a front mounted snowblower for snow removal and I often use it on the paths so that we have walking paths when the snow is too deep for comfortable walking. The BX2200 handles those chores without any problems.:)

/ A recommendation please #8  
Diesel for sure. She won't go wrong with a box blade for grading and ballast and it can be used for pushing and pulling snow in concert with the loader. I wouldn't go smaller than 24HP unless there is a reason to get a really compact tractor (like dense woods). The bigger the better. 4WD. I would look at JD 3000 series if price matters, or 3x20 series if bells and whistles are key.

/ A recommendation please #9  
Is she looking new or used?

If new.. diesel will be just about the only option.. I'd say a max of 30hp.. though mid 20's will likely do her just fine.. along with a 4' rough mower and a loader.. if hills.. go with 4wd, and perhaps hydro tranny.

if used..

gas becomes an option.. say.. something in the 20-30's hp range... get a good one ... spend a lil more than the average 'runs' to get one in great condition.

I'd go with a 660 / 661 it will be 33hp and live pto, optional power steering.

can support a loader decently well especially if power steering.. etc.

price probably somewhere in the 3000-4000$ for a decent one.

soundguy

My SIL has 8 acres in the Pocono痴. Gentle rolling hills, 200'-300' paved driveway uphill to a gravel parking area. She needs a tractor to mow a 8' path around & down the center of her "meadow" (1-2 acres) and clear her driveway in the winter. She is planning on paving the parking area next year. She isn't sure that my opinion isn't biased so she has asked for me to get a consensus. So here we go.
Gas or Diesel
Horsepower range
Deck size
Plow blade or Snowblower
Other 3PH attachments.

/ A recommendation please
Success!:) I found on CL a JD 2210, 235 Hrs young wi FEL 60"MMM & BB delivered to SIL for $3100. The only thing I want put on it is a block heater, & battery conditioner since it'll be sitting in a garage for extended periods during winter. We'll share a 48" 3ph tiller that I've also picked up BN on a pallet. That'll fit on my BX22 and her 455. We'll have to get separate drivelines but NBD.
T-Man.:cool:

Last edited: