A windpower first

/ A windpower first #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
Last March, March 2022, in the USA lower 48 states, windpower generated more power, 2017 gigawatts, which was 19% of total power produced, than either coal or nuclear. Nuclear was just slightly less than wind and coial was at 17%. This has never happened before in the USA. To be clear, this happened for at least two reasons, there was lots of wind and nuclear power plants were producing less because of maintenance. However, this is a good harbinger of things to come.

There are many things that need to be done in order to make wind a larger producer of power. One major problem is power storage when the wind isn't blowing. Fortunately there are battery technologies that don't involve lithium that can be and are now being used for stationary energy storage. Though not as energy dense as lithium type batteries it doesn't matter because the batteries only take up space, they don't need to be hauled around. So the weight and size are not nearly as important as portable storage is. And less energy density does not necessarily mean less energy efficient.

As windpower supplies more and more of our power even less efficient methods of energy storage can still be used economically because there can often be spot surpluses of power available and instead of reducing power output of the windmills the less efficient method of power storage can be used.

This makes me happy. It will be better for our world to not burn fossil fuels. The burning and mining and processing of fossil fuels pollute our air and water. Windpower also does to a much lesser extent because of what it takes to make the windmills. And it is true that right now there is a pretty big problem disposing of the huge windmill blades that have reached their end of life and must be replaced. Some clever folks have figured out a way to use these still very strong blades in bridge construction. But that is really not going to be able to re-use all the discarded windmill blades.

So we still need to work on making windpower a less polluting energy producer but it is already much cleaner than oil or coal or natural gas. And we will as a nation benefit from cleaner and safer energy production.

Nuclear power is a whole 'nuther ball o' wax and even though I think it has its place now I also think it would be best to get rid of it just because of the waste problem. We here in USA are not dealing properly and honestly with the problem of storing the highly poisonous nuclear waste. It is not just the radioactivity either. The waste consists of materials which are extremely toxic in and of themselves and which will still be so even when the radioactivity of the materials have decayed considerably. For this and many other reasons that I do not want to get into discussing the drawbacks of nuclear power at this time.

Anyway, windpower produced very nearly one fifth of the power the lower 48 used in March. ONE FIFTH! That is truly impressive and a good thing for the nation. It bodes well for the coming generations of Americans.
Cheers,
Eric

/ A windpower first #2  
When will the cost of my electricity go down?:D:D

/ A windpower first #3  
For the record it was only for 1 day in March, March 29th. The headlines in the press are misleading. The real story is the second one down for April 14, 2022.

Today in Energy - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Don't get me wrong, I am all for wind energy production. We have our land leased for wind and oil/gas production. There are solar production arrays popping around us in East Texas, so that is increasing as well.

There is still a long way to go before wind takes a top spot, as the story states:

"On a monthly basis, we have had less wind generation in the United States than natural gas-fired generation, coal-fired generation, or nuclear generation. We do not expect wind to surpass either coal-fired or nuclear generation for any month in 2022 or 2023, based on our most recent Short-Term Energy Outlook forecast."

/ A windpower first #4  
When are they gonna figure out what to do with the garbage?
5BE9938D-DAB3-4EEE-B4B6-71E61AD6A3BB.jpeg

Or stop killing endangered/protected birds that a farmer would go to jail for?
C59BA21E-D8C4-4434-8375-B420D8E6196F.jpeg

/ A windpower first
For the record it was only for 1 day in March, March 29th. The headlines in the press are misleading. The real story is the second one down for April 14, 2022.

Today in Energy - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Don't get me wrong, I am all for wind energy production. We have our land leased for wind and oil/gas production. There are solar production arrays popping around us in East Texas, so that is increasing as well.

There is still a long way to go before wind takes a top spot, as the story states:

"On a monthly basis, we have had less wind generation in the United States than natural gas-fired generation, coal-fired generation, or nuclear generation. We do not expect wind to surpass either coal-fired or nuclear generation for any month in 2022 or 2023, based on our most recent Short-Term Energy Outlook forecast."
That was why I mentioned the other reasons for for high percentage. I did not intend to mislead. We still have a long way to go but this is a good sign.
Eric

/ A windpower first
When are they gonna figure out what to do with the garbage?
View attachment 741929

Or stop killing endangered/protected birds that a farmer would go to jail for?
View attachment 741930
Burning fossil fuels kills way more birds per watt produced than windmills. And in my post I did bring up the problem of disposing of windmill blades and how they are not being re-used in any significant amount.
Eric

/ A windpower first
Please post your scholarly source for that claim.
Actually I won't. I have looked this up more than once from several sources over the years. There is plenty of info available from universities et al. It will take little effort for anybody to look this up. Especially since the data has been available for a long time. And I just don't feel like it. If you don't believe me I don't care.
Eric

/ A windpower first #10  
Actually I won't. I have looked this up more than once from several sources over the years. There is plenty of info available from universities et al. It will take little effort for anybody to look this up. Especially since the data has been available for a long time. And I just don't feel like it. If you don't believe me I don't care.
Eric
Lol.