A windpower first

/ A windpower first #22  
I have posted before I worked on a wind farm 60 turbines, about a year before I retired. I did survey work and did a lot of construction layout. Just me driving a pickup burned hundred of gallons of gas. A mind boggling amount of materials were delivered and installed. All this burning thousands of gallons of gas and diesel.

My point is how long does it take for all this fossil being expended building a wind farm before it balances out? I tried to find this information but couldn’t and of course it varies by location.

Im not saying wind farms are bad or good, I just wonder what the net gain is on fossil fuels being expended is.

Perhaps think about the resources required for building a nuclear/coal fired power plant. Then add in the requirements for “after the event“ pollution mitigation. Things like acid rain or the destruction of the Appalachian Streams. ( water quality )

/ A windpower first #23  
In other words it does not agree with your ideas?
Not at all, the list is not complete and is very open to double counts on things like antenna masts, power, power lines, etc. There are numbers listed N/A which we can very safely assume are not 0. Then there are pure assumed numbers. This appears to be cherry picked data off of a number of different studies which I’m fully believing double count and gloss over other kills.

Someone else posted some pictures of oil spill victims. The first birds I rehabbed/helped rehab where actually Exxon Valdez birds. Spent a number of years working with Dr Scott and the early days of “Brid TLC” during the winter months.

/ A windpower first #24  
Perhaps think about the resources required for building a nuclear/coal fired power plant. Then add in the requirements for “after the event“ pollution mitigation. Things like acid rain or the destruction of the Appalachian Streams. ( water quality )
Nuclear and coal are very different environmental impacts. Coal is horrible no question. I haven’t seen a megawatt to megawatt analysis of wind or solar to nuclear but I bet nuclear comes in out ahead in constriction costs and impacts…until you have to store the leftovers.

/ A windpower first #25  
Theres a different type of nuclear we dont seem to want to use
Gigantic Plumes Of Oil Are Forming Under The Gulf -- Spill ...
Why Are Seabirds so Vulnerable to Oil Spills? | response ...
Next Year Country: Will Shell Oil save Saskatchewan birds?

SAVE OUR PLANET: Gulf Oil Spill Pictures: Birds, Fish ...

oil spills - {Count back to the days of that happy ending

apparently some people think the oil spill isn't that bad ...'t that bad ...

International Bird Rescue - Every Bird Matters» Blog ...

luthfispace: Oil spill, dying birds and Quran

Animals and Climate Change

This list is almost 10 years old, so there may be some changes ....

Solar: Anywhere from about 1,000 birds a year, according to BrightSource, to 28,000 birds a year, according to an expert at the Center for Biological Diversity.

Wind: Between 140,000 and 328,000 birds a year in the contiguous United States, according to a December 2013 study published in the journal Biological Conservation. Taller turbines tend to take out more birds.

Oil and Gas: An estimated 500,000 to 1 million birds a year are killed in oil fields, the Bureau of Land Management said in a December 2012 memo.
[DATA MINE: Natural Gas to See Biggest Gains in Coal Country]

Coal: Huge numbers of birds, roughly 7.9 million, may be killed by coal, according to analysis by Benjamin K. Sovacool, director of the Danish Center for Energy Technologies. His estimate, however, included everything from mining to production and climate change, which together amounted to about five birds per gigawatt-hour of energy generated by coal.

Nuclear: About 330,000 birds, by Sovacool’s calculations.

You’re hilarious.…. “huge numbers of birds may be killed by coal” :rolleyes: Oh gee, theres some REAL science there!
Sounds like asking a guy how many women he’s slept with.
So using his calculations, if we have wind & solar energy, rough math looks like it’ll kill just as many birds as oil & gas. What an improvement! lol

Last edited:
   / A windpower first #26  
.... Natural gas, wind, and solar are cheaper than coal.

I doubt wind or solar are cheaper than anything if you take away government subsides and enticements. Plus be sure to include the full cost of backup systems for those very cold, windless nights when demand is high.

/ A windpower first #27  
When are they gonna figure out what to do with the garbage?
View attachment 741929

Or stop killing endangered/protected birds that a farmer would go to jail for?
View attachment 741930
Interesting question, I find it hopeful that wind generation is being installed at some chemical/oil superfund sites to provide energy.

We do need OIL / GAS / Nuclear (Fission) reactors for Quite some time to come, and pretty much any new tech and renewables going forward imo should be welcomed, especially if they make financial sense.

If they can get compact Fusion reactors to work in the near future,
It would change the world for the better.

For now, "if" America could get a slew of molten salt reactors installed, it would really help the US decentralize and reinforce our power grid.

/ A windpower first #28  
View attachment 741929

View attachment 741930Every year 2 or 3 birds die by flying into my house (the ones i find). Plus there are probably 10 more strikes where I don’t find a carcus.
View attachment 741929

View attachment 741930
Every year i find 2 or 3 birds that are dead around my house due to “bird strikes”. An additional 10 strikes or so also occur, but maybe those birds survived or just died somewhere else. It would appear that we should eliminate housing to save birds.😜

/ A windpower first #29  
If the wind turbine crowd really wants to increase their power output, all they need to do is erect a wind farm installation that completely surrounds Washington DC because the amount of wind that politicians create could actually be harnessed for something good. :p

/ A windpower first #30  
I'm at a combined cycle plant in Georgia right now commissioning replacement voltage regulators on 2 gas turbines and a steam turbine, total of maybe 500 MW. Within a rock's throw are 3 coal fired units that will be decommissioned in August. Southern Company has no replacement power for the. 2 of them are 1000 MW each and the third is cloase to that. Our federal government is very rapidly greening us into a critical situation in this country that there won't be and quick resolution for. Coal plants will be gone by the end of this decade and folks like the OP have nukes next on the list, which are also closing at a breakneck pace. Without government subsidies there might not be any wind mills in this country. The wind doesn't always blow.