About To Drill Well - Have Some Questions

/ About To Drill Well - Have Some Questions #21  
Why is a CSV better than a VSP?

The CSV was designed to replace VFD's, and has been doing so since 1993. VFD's have been around since 1964, and they have not and will never be able to solve all the inherent problems of VFD's. The laws of physics and mother nature just won't let them solve many of the problems. The newer versions of VFD's are much better at BandAiding the problem, but they still can't change the laws of physics. The CSV does the same constant pressure control as a VFD without having any computers or electronics to make it happen. When there are two or more ways to solve a problem, the simplest way is always the best, which is why CSV's are better than VFD's.

/ About To Drill Well - Have Some Questions #22  
Grundfos has a reputation for reliability. Be careful about a bigger pump as if you overdraw (pump out water faster than coming in) you will run the pump dry and damage or kill it.

A CSV will let you install as large a pump as you want, and still be able to use it like a small pump when needed. And there is a device that works with it called a Cycle Sensor, that looks at the amp draw, knows when the well is dry, and shuts the pump off before any damage occurs.

/ About To Drill Well - Have Some Questions #23  
As for 3 phase - though it may be very efficient at running motors, it is not always available. Where I live, though my next door neighbor has 3 phase (he has a blueberry farm), the power company only ran the 3 phase as far as his farm - no one else down the road can have 3 phase unless they pay the power company to extend the 3 phase - and at today's costs, it would not be cheap!

Even if I wanted 3 phase, I would have to pay the power company a premium to have it extended to my property - and I am just across the fence from his 3 phase.

As for CSV - I have used the simple ones (1" plastic or brass) and the more complex ones for larger systems and pipe sizes. They work! That is the best I can say.

/ About To Drill Well - Have Some Questions #24  
30-40 GPM?! Amazing flow - wish I had that. In my view the well price is cheap but the pump price is ridiculously high. And why would you want a bigger pump? We have a 10 GPM pump and it gives us scads of water.

/ About To Drill Well - Have Some Questions #25  
... why would you want a bigger pump? We have a 10 GPM pump and it gives us scads of water.

We have a 4" submersible that gives 10 gpm. We also have three homes using the same well. It works, but, when we can, we are going to replace the pump with one that does 35 gpm.

Also, 10 gpm is not "scads" if you plan on doing any irrigation - it is actually "minimum" for yard irrigation. I would not want to design, install, operate an irrigation system that uses less than 10 gpm - too many valves/zones.

/ About To Drill Well - Have Some Questions #26  
If the present pump has too large a flow rate holes drilled in the stators/rotors will reduce the rate.

Also works well to eliminate vapour lock if the ground aquifer also produces gas.

/ About To Drill Well - Have Some Questions #27  
If the present pump has too large a flow rate holes drilled in the stators/rotors will reduce the rate.

Also works well to eliminate vapour lock if the ground aquifer also produces gas.

You are just joking right?

/ About To Drill Well - Have Some Questions #28  
As for 3 phase - though it may be very efficient at running motors, it is not always available. Where I live, though my next door neighbor has 3 phase (he has a blueberry farm), the power company only ran the 3 phase as far as his farm - no one else down the road can have 3 phase unless they pay the power company to extend the 3 phase - and at today's costs, it would not be cheap!

Even if I wanted 3 phase, I would have to pay the power company a premium to have it extended to my property - and I am just across the fence from his 3 phase.

As for CSV - I have used the simple ones (1" plastic or brass) and the more complex ones for larger systems and pipe sizes. They work! That is the best I can say.

You don't need three phase power to run a three phase well motor. They use those VFD's, (Variable Frequency Drives, Freq Drives, variable speed controllers, constant pressure pumps), VSD's (Variable Speed Drives), or whatever you want to call them to convert your standard single phase house power to three phase to run a three phase motor. They will tell you three phase motors are more efficient, more reliable, are less expensive, and use less expensive and smaller wire than a single phase motor. All of this except the "more reliable" parts is true. However, three phase motors are not enough more efficient to make much difference, and they don't cost THAT much less. What using a VFD controller to convert single phase to three phase does, is lock you into maintaining (replacing) the VFD controller anytime there is a problem, because without it you cannot run a three phase motor on single phase power. I hear from lots of people who have had to replace those $1200-$1800 VFD controllers two or three times before they realize switching back to a single phase motor and a reliable control system would be much less expensive than continuing to replace VFD controllers on a regular basis.

/ About To Drill Well - Have Some Questions #29  
In my view the well price is cheap but the pump price is ridiculously high.

I agree, and it is only a 10 GPM, 1.5HP pump. But that is because it has one of those $1200 CU301 variable speed controllers. You should be able to get a regular 30 GPM pump system for that price.