About To Drill Well - Have Some Questions

/ About To Drill Well - Have Some Questions
I commend you on doing so much research and making up your own mind. However, you should read more reviews and references instead of the sales brochures that you are quoting almost verbatim.

By the time you have to purchase the next VFD controller, you will be way beyond the glossy sales brochures and have much better understanding of pump systems.

You would think the pump installer would not want to lose your business. But he will make more money selling you the original VFD system than he would have made in 30 years on a conventional pump system. So he really won稚 mind if you find a different contractor to work with, as he will be rid of a mad customer.

I hope I am wrong for your sake, but I have been doing this a LONG time. :)

You keep repeating the same thing OVER and OVER. You are a troll.

I get it, you hate VFD's and you sell CSV's. Every post you made about wells is the same thing. I already warned you before about it. Stop hijacking my threads with your anti-VFD diatribes.

Please make a disclaimer that you sell CSV's and own a CSV website that sells CSV's and VFD's are your competition. Also, stop hijacking my threads and stop being a troll.

/ About To Drill Well - Have Some Questions #52  
Pettrix, I'm also glad you got 'er going, and with help from an installer you trust. btw, I was concerned you might be told the shroud wasn't needed, so props to you for recognizing the 'cheap insurance' aspect of having it installed if not OEM. :thumbsup:

/ About To Drill Well - Have Some Questions #53  
Wow! I would be offended but I have been called much worse. And yet I still try to not be magnanimous a few years later when the ones with guts call and tell me my prediction was “right on the money”.

You know who I am. I am not a troll. I am the inventor of the CSV (aka; Valveman), and I defend it from false accusations anywhere I see it happen. Like Beetlejuice, just say CSV three times and I will show up. Who better to clear up any misconceptions than the guy who invented it?

You mentioned the CSV in a context of saying a VFD is better. Of course I am going to show up to tell you the stuff you read on the VFD glossy brochure is not the whole truth. And I didn’t even recommend a CSV for your application. I said the VFD would be my second choice, after a conventional pressure tank system.

I have just heard this story so many times that I am able to see your future. Like I said, I hope I am wrong.

I apologize for offering advice with only a few decades of experience and a few thousand pump systems under my belt. But most people don’t get angry and call me names for doing so.

/ About To Drill Well - Have Some Questions
You know who I am. I am not a troll. I am the inventor of the CSV (aka; Valveman),

Ripoff Report | Terry Love Plumbing Complaint Review Bothell, Washington: 493862

Yes, you sell the CSV, so you constantly disparage VFD and promote CSVs so you can make more money. You are completely biased and self-serving.

I don't sell anything and I don't use this forum as a free marketing tool, unlike you.

Go away. You have your own website. Go there and promote your product.

/ About To Drill Well - Have Some Questions #56  
You had to look really hard to find anything or anyone who said anything bad about me or the CSV didn’t you? Even that was written by someone anonymous because they would not be able to say those absolutely false statements if anyone knew who they are. Read the reviews and references if you want to know what honest people think about me or the CSV.

I am not using anything as a marketing tool. I simply try to help people with their pump system problems. And the CSV solves so many of those problems, like the ones you are going to have, that it is hard not to mention the CSV as a solution. If all I wanted was to make more money, I would be selling VFD’s, as there are lots of gullible people out there.

I get it. You want to believe that you have made a smart and informed decision, and you don’t want anyone disagreeing with you. Then don’t post your decisions on a public forum where those with more experience can show you the error of your ways. You won’t see any of the pump or VFD companies arguing with me, as they know they cannot argue with the facts.

You mention the CSV, especially in a negative light compared to a VFD, and you have just made this thread as much mine as it is yours. I work hard at keeping the record straight and correcting any misinformation about my product. And I don’t have to “disparage” VFD’s. I simply supply the facts that you won’t see on the glossy brochures. That is bad enough without having to disparage anything.

Just hung up the phone from talking to another Subdrive customer who was up early this morning and out of water, again. In less than 5 years he has replaced the pressure tank 3 times, the pressure sensor twice, and now the check valve on the pump is not working and he has to pull a 250’ deep pump to fix it. He didn’t think I was “self serving” or “trying to make a lot of money” when I showed him how a $63 valve can solve these problems and save him thousands of dollars. I don’t have to make this stuff up. I hear it everyday. You should be careful burning bridges that you are going to need in the near future.

/ About To Drill Well - Have Some Questions #58  
Just read the pricing on this, ridiculously low! In my area of SoCal, they want $26/ft to drill, so I need about 500ft drilled in January and they quoted me with equipment around $20k.

/ About To Drill Well - Have Some Questions #59  
Pettrix,

I designed and installed my own well system and it's not quite like you are contemplating, but it works very well. You might think about some of this before you commit.

The first big difference is that my well pump simply fills a 300 gallon non pressurized holding tank in the pump house. Then that water gravity feeds to a pressure pump that feeds the house. The tank is plastic and about 4' in diameter and 4' high. Very light to move and relatively cheap to buy.

There are a number of advantages to this: The well pump does not have to supply house pressure on top of the vertical head from the well water level. If the well pump fails, you still have water and can use it sparingly until the well is fixed. The well pump, in my case only runs one cycle every other day or so.

With this setup the well pump can be very low horsepower because it simply fills an open tank. Mine is 1/4 HP and my water depth is about 185 feet. I get 5 GPM and that is way more than enough to average out 300 to 400 gallons per day of use. This helps wells from being overdrawn if the water table is falling or the replenish rate is low.

Fewer well pump starts means less strain on the supporting piping, etc. The small pressure tank you have listed is way small and will result in very frequent starts, maybe 10 per minute.

I designed and built my own system controller that manages the holding tank level and the fill strategy all based on a very simple time delay function and water level sensor. It has a safety system to prevent the pressure pump from ever running dry regardless of the use rate or if the tank is empty, and it can be set to retain any desired amount of water in the event of a well pump failure.

If you want to run your system on a generator during construction, it's way more practical to just fill a holding tank once in a while than it is to run the well pump to a hose bib with a small pressure tank and controller.

If you go with a smaller well pump that doesn't have to keep up with the highest flow you will ever see at multiple faucets, you can run it on a smaller generator or while sharing generator power with skill saws, etc.

You may want to re-think using only three check valves in that long of a drop. There will only be about 33 feet of standing water in the pipe between each check valve. The rest of the height in the pipe will be a vacuum or empty pipe.

If you have any concerns about your water level fluctuating over time or over different seasons, you can install a small additional tube that runs down to the well pump and is zip tied to the side of the well piping. This is just a small vinyl hose, for instance, and is open at the bottom. Then later you can run compressed air down that tube with a gauge attached and easily calculate the water depth any time you want to. It's a neat little trick that is so simple.

If you really want your system to have the least chance of running out of water, a two tank system is the best. The well fills tank one from the top, it overflows to the top of tank two, which feeds from the bottom, to the pressure pump. If the well fails, you always have at least one full tank that can't be lost accidentally. This is my next modification, adding a second tank.

However you decide to do it, just don't rely on a very small pressure tank that will constantly be cycling. And if you do the holding tank method you don't need a constant pressure style controller, although a soft start one would be nice.

I initially ran my well, during construction, on a small diesel generator that I built. It can produce about 2,000 watts at sea level, but probably only about 1,600 watts here at nearly 5,000 feet. To make sure it worked I added an oversized starting capacitor in the control box.

After looking at a number of well systems here in my area I've easily come to the conclusion that they are all very shortsighted systems. Simple, expensive and what gave the well drillers the most quick profit, but not very well thought out. Sure enough, every once in a while a neighbor has a water "emergency" with no water at the faucet and no way to work around the problem.

/ About To Drill Well - Have Some Questions #60  
Pettrix,

A couple more thoughts here:

If you can find the black poly pipe that will hold the required pressure from a 500' water level, a little over 200 PSI, it makes an excellent well pipe instead of sections of rigid pipe. My neighbor and I set his up with this and we can pull his well pump in about ten minutes with my quad and a large wheel mounted on my tractor forks. So simple it's comical.

Be careful which rope you use to hang the pump. I recommend NOT to use the conventional poly line that the well drillers. It's cheap for them, but can be barely strong enough and it does not hold knots well. A wide strength margin is important! Go to a marine store and get yacht braid. It's designed to be very low stretch and constantly wet. Tie it to a cleat bolted to the inside of your well casing near the top. If anything ever happens and you drop the pump or it somehow gets stuck, you'll be very glad you have a strong line. I dropped mine and had to pull it up with a tangle of wire above it. Not pretty.