Absolutely new to haying, need some advise

/ Absolutely new to haying, need some advise #11  
You biggest issue is knowing when to cut and how to dry. If not done right you end up with toxic mold in the bales. Read back through my old posts on equipment, etc that I went through to get to my current set up.

Contact you local agg agent or extension office to learn more.

It would also help to know what tractor you already have and what equipment might be available. BTW a brush hog (shredder) will not work for cutting hay - nuff said.

/ Absolutely new to haying, need some advise #12  
If I were trying to figure out if haying was something I would want to do, I would pay someone to cut and bale. Then I would do all of the gathering, transporting and storing. That's where the work is, and where you need to have a plan. If after doing that for one or two seasons I was still enthusiastic then I would start looking at acquiring my own equipment.

/ Absolutely new to haying, need some advise #13  
To hay on the cheap you will need to purchase used equipment. Around here most small operators utilize either a haybine or disc mower, a roller bar rake, and an old square baler. When buying used condition and maintenance is most important. I would advise checking out a lot of YouTube videos. They are very informative. Haying is a lot of hard work. A lot of folks enjoy it. I did it for the first 22 years of my life and then after I returned to NC another 15 years or so helping my dad. I don't hay now and I don't miss it.

/ Absolutely new to haying, need some advise
Hey guys, again, thank you for your responses. I am not likely to be throwing 50 - 60 lb bales of hay at my age. I did that as a youngster and didn't care for it then. That said, my SIL and grandson may opt to go that way. They will be selling the hay as they have no stock at this time. I suspect that will come later. My part in this will be to loan them my tractor (New Holland TN70D) and then sit back and watch the fun.

From your responses it appears that the minimum equipment they will have to acquire will be some kind of mower and a rake. This assumes that they will hire someone to bale it for them. i have looked at the sicklebar mowers and was surprised to see that even those were in the 3k range. I haven't even started to price rakes yet.

At this point, their plan is to cut and bale what is in the field now (kline grass and weeds) and try and sell that as cow feed. Even if they can't sell it, it will be good experience for them.

Tim

/ Absolutely new to haying, need some advise #15  
Often the problem is, when you cut and rake, then so many others are doing it too. And the guy with the baler can't sometimes get to you in time. But if they live near you, and you communicate well, this is a possibly good option.

My friend says that bush hogging won't work well. You need the longest pieces of stems and leaves to help the baler pick it up and wrap it.

My neighbor just quoted me $30/round bale to cut, rake and bale which is about right.

/ Absolutely new to haying, need some advise #16  
My neighbor just quoted me $30/round bale to cut, rake and bale which is about right.

I guess I'm not charging enough at $25 to cut/rake for a 4X5.5 rd bale

/ Absolutely new to haying, need some advise #17  
Subscribe to YouTube site “North Texas Hay”. There’s all around good information about haying.

/ Absolutely new to haying, need some advise #18  
I guess I'm not charging enough at $25 to cut/rake for a 4X5.5 rd bale

20% more hay in a 5 x 5.5 round bale

$30 is exactly 20% more than $25

My friend is down south of Victoria, he charges $25 when conditions are good.

I need to pay my neighbor a bit more, and give him the hay, when he gives me the paperwork.

/ Absolutely new to haying, need some advise #19  
I agree if baler pressure's are equal there's 20% more hay in a one foot wider rd bale with same diameter. My problem was I had "dust on my crystal ball" so I didn't what know size of bale for $30 you were referring to.:D Thanks for clarification.

/ Absolutely new to haying, need some advise #20  
Man I hate it when the crystal ball is dusty
:)