AC not working properly

/ AC not working properly #11  
My ac guy here cant even get r22 anymore. But he could probibly get it in mexico.

/ AC not working properly #12  
Are you sure it’s R22? It was banned in like 1994 in vehicles at least. If your system actually uses it I’d probably change it because what little r22 there is is expensive.

/ AC not working properly #13  
There's plenty of R22 still around. I can buy 1000# cylinders if I want. 100# cylinders are usually in stock, but since covid, I don't know. Their site says to call for 100#, but they have plenty of 30#

Last edited:
   / AC not working properly #14  
My ac guy here cant even get r22 anymore. But he could probibly get it in mexico.
If he can't purchase from local HVAC supply house, He should buy from E bay

Last edited:
   / AC not working properly #15  
Are you sure it’s R22? It was banned in like 1994 in vehicles at least. If your system actually uses it I’d probably change it because what little r22 there is is expensive.
They stopped using in autos, But you can still buy R12 which went out a long time ago. His unit is most likely R22.
At one time, They even made dry units you could buy and fill them with R22 once on the job site

/ AC not working properly #16  
Been warm here lately, and at noon I had a rep from a local solar installer come over for a site assessment and quote on a grid tie system. When he left I realized I was sweating and the thermostat said it was 84° in the house. Turned the A/C off and back on a few minutes later, and got no cool air. The fan on the outside unit was running, but I couldn't hear the compressor running. Dang!
Called the local HVAC shop, and he said he'd send a guy right over. He was here in less that 10 minutes (they're only 1.5 miles away), checked it out and found a bad terminal on a wire in the outside unit. H had to run after a repair kit for it (was some oddball connector), came back and had it running 10 minutes later. (y)
The system is about 25 years old and has never been touched since it was installed, so I asked him to check the pressures while he was here. He did and said they were exactly where they should be, amazing for an old system.
Great service from a local shop. Thanks Cecil!

/ AC not working properly #17  
They never used R22 in automobiles. R12 was used for years in automobiles, refrigerators and freezers and it was the first refrigerant that was heavily taxed and stopped from using in these formats.

R22 was only used in air conditioners in homes and some commercial uses. Due to its destruction of the atmosphere it was heavily taxed so much that manufacturers started using other refrigerants but it has not been banned, just made too expensive to use in most cases.

/ AC not working properly
Great information guys! And speaking of wiring, I am wondering whether the on-of switch on the thermostat was even connected, since we also have an HRV system.

/ AC not working properly #19  
Our central air was 19yo with the old Freon in it. The last couple of years it was losing pressure somewhere and had to get it charged because of being low. That was causing the A coil to frost up and inhibit air flow. I was told life expectancy for central was 15-16yr and should be considering to replace it.
Started getting quotes early -Feb- and had new system installed in April before the mad rush of summer heat calls.
2.5 ton Trane with a 10yr warranty $3600. No more worries about AC quitting when needed the most.