AC not working properly

/ AC not working properly #21  
Wow - $3600 US. That’s a lot of coin! Will have to try and get a quote for mine.
$3,600.00
Really isn't a bad price.
May had to make modifications, etc,.
Nothing ever goes right back in place

/ AC not working properly #22  
They never used R22 in automobiles. R12 was used for years in automobiles, refrigerators and freezers and it was the first refrigerant that was heavily taxed and stopped from using in these formats.

R22 was only used in air conditioners in homes and some commercial uses. Due to its destruction of the atmosphere it was heavily taxed so much that manufacturers started using other refrigerants but it has not been banned, just made too expensive to use in most cases.
You're correct. R22 was never used in automobiles .
It was R12.
They went from R22 straight to R134A

As you stated R22 and R12 was used in home appliances

/ AC not working properly
Just got a quote for a 1.5 ton Carrier from Reliance Home Comfort. Just over $4,000 CDN plus tax. That works out to about $3,000 US. That price is because of "end of season" sale on right now, plus a little bit more discount. I guess this price is OK? It includes a new programmable "nest" thermostat that you can program from off-site (e.g., on your Cel phone, or from your laptop.)

Saw some pretty awful reviews of Reliance Home Comfort on the internet, on "Yelp". But the salesperson said there are also lots of good reviews. Have to do more research.

Also, my current Luxaire AC unit has a SEER of 8, but the quoted new Carrier AC unit will have a SEER of 16. Does that mean it uses half the electricity? (This would be a big deal for me, since electicity up here is so riduculously expensive up here.)

/ AC not working properly #24  
It's probably rated 16 seer.
I doubt you'll see it though.
Call and get several quotes .
Quotes are cheaper than going with the wrong company

/ AC not working properly #25  
right now ac compressors are hard to find just like everything else. heck, a 250 foot roll of 14/2 romex was $108 at home depot today. last year it was $53.00. a friend of mine is an ac installer and said he has alot of signed contracts, but cant get units. even copper linesets arnt available.

/ AC not working properly #26  
right now ac compressors are hard to find just like everything else. heck, a 250 foot roll of 14/2 romex was $108 at home depot today. last year it was $53.00. a friend of mine is an ac installer and said he has alot of signed contracts, but cant get units. even copper linesets arnt available.
Got a friend that sells , installs, services generac generators.
His customers are on a waiting list for new ones.
Times are tough to say the least !

/ AC not working properly #27  
Im glad i retired this year from selling and installing generac units. Now i only service them. 9 month to order

/ AC not working properly
Im glad i retired this year from selling and installing generac units. Now i only service them. 9 month to order

9 months - yikes! Glad I didn’t order a new one. My compressor motor was freezing up this summer, but it was because my daughter was running the AC constantly all day every day day and night. Just had to let it rest for a bit and not abuse it so.

/ AC not working properly #29  
Hi, guys, I am having a central AC And I am looking for ideas as to what the cause may be. My AC unit is a Luxaire by York, and is hooked up to my propane powered Payne forced air propane furnace. It was installed in 2002 or 2003. (so the first question is, is it the older RS 22 refrigerant, or the newer stuff?)

In 2017, I had the capacitor replaced. The problem is when I call for air conditioning with the thermostat, the compressor unit does go on, but no cold air comes out, even though I can feel the Plenum being very cold. And the furnace fan will not come on, and if it does very little air comes through the registers. After he does on for a while I can see frost building up on the compressor.

If I call for heat using the thermostat, the burners come on, and then eventually the fan comes on but again very little or no air comes out of the registers.

Any ideas, guys?
I just had a similar issue with my heat pump. Outside unit would kick on, but the air handler inside wouldn't kick on.

Air handler would only kick on when it called for the heat strips.

Air handler gets signal from three different wires from the thermostat. Cool, heat, and heat strips. The wire inside the fan signaling it to come on during normal heat was bad.

They replaced the fan motor and everything works fine.

Coworker had a similar issue on his heat pump. Thermostat was bad and it was signaling on all three wires at the same time.

They had also bypassed the heat strip relay so it was on all the time, and only powering one heat strip.

Tech spent some time in there and got his unit working properly. That night when the unit went into defrost and kicked the heat strips on, all 14 strips kicked on for the first time in 13 years. (He bought the house 8 months ago).

13 years worth of buildup on his heat strips burned off and filled his house full of smoke in the middle of the night