Acetone and tranny fluid !!

/ Acetone and tranny fluid !! #11  
Yeah, those msds sheets are for chickens and osha! Neither have any common sence.

/ Acetone and tranny fluid !! #12  
The tranny fluid must affect the flashpoint of the acetone. We were and have use rose buds around the mixture. As with anything flammable I wouldn't recommend using heat around an open can or large amount of the stuff! Mixture appears to boil more than ignite when exposed to flame,but I'm not trying to get any flame around a large amount! Common sense must be applied!!!!

most of the time you add oil to something like gas.. you raise the octane.. thus the flashpoint.

/ Acetone and tranny fluid !! #15  
Actually, the higher the octane, the higher the flash point

you do realize you just agreed with me don't you?

high octane.. high flashpoint.

that's EXACTLY what I said...

/ Acetone and tranny fluid !! #16  
you do realize you just agreed with me don't you?

high octane.. high flashpoint.

that's EXACTLY what I said...

Octane is an index of a fuels RESISTANCE to volitilization. You may have been thinking of CETANE number which is more volatile as the number goes up.

Also liquids are LESS volitile as flash point goes UP. Acetone has a flash point of NEGATIVE 20C. That means it can burn when that cold.

/ Acetone and tranny fluid !! #17  
I've been using the 50/50 mix since I heard about it on a certain (unique) car forum...probably 7-8 years ago...

I keep the mixture in a mason jar with a good seal and pour it into a pumping oil can when I'm working on something requiring it...if your container does not seal completely the acetone will evaporate away over time....

/ Acetone and tranny fluid !! #19  
Octane is an index of a fuels RESISTANCE to volitilization. You may have been thinking of CETANE number which is more volatile as the number goes up.

Also liquids are LESS volitile as flash point goes UP. Acetone has a flash point of NEGATIVE 20C. That means it can burn when that cold.

re-read my post.. AGAIN.

the higher the octane.. tha 'harder' it is to ignite and burn that 'fuel'.

ie.. both #'s go up.

I know what cetane is and that's why i didn't mention it.

/ Acetone and tranny fluid !! #20  
most of the time you add oil to something like gas.. you raise the octane.. thus the flashpoint.
Yes, but gasoline dissolves oil forming a solution. Acetone OTOH, forms a suspension with ATF. You have to keep it shaken up or it settles out. Such has ~no effect on vapor pressure and thus flashpoint.
larry