Adapt 6ft snowplow to 3 pt hitch???

/ Adapt 6ft snowplow to 3 pt hitch??? #11  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( I think where people run into problems is when they hit something while pushing, especially with a little momentum )</font>

You made my point exactly with that statement. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have nothing against pushing back with the 3pt arms (I just wouldn't do it), s long as one is aware that hitting something hard does happen and when plowing snow, it can happen when that 'something' is buried under the snow. Just pushing snow is not much of a task for any connection, be it the 3pt arms, or the front arms, or the FEL arms. But when there is a good chunk of frozen ice from the last storm buried under the new snow - look out. Anyone who plows much snow knows how much extra force is absorbed, and even though the blade is a spring-loaded trip blade, there will be times that the ice or hidden objects will put that extra sideways force on the 3pt arms.
My plow is mounted on the front, and it sometimes slides the front end if encountering the immovable object and the blade is angled. Consider 'sliding' the rear wheels sideways and the amount of sideways force those 3pt arms will have to take. I don't think they will, but as has been noted, they may be able to be bent back straight again. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Adapt 6ft snowplow to 3 pt hitch???
Understood and noted.
Perhaps this future creation will be on a lower budget with engineered weakpoints to take the stress like my last homemade plow...yes, I drink ocassionally

Attachments

• 768575-Camry Snowplow reduced.JPG
    768575-Camry Snowplow reduced.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,097
   / Adapt 6ft snowplow to 3 pt hitch??? #14  
I don't do a lot of snow plowing in unfamiliar territory, so maybe my opinion is based on the rare occasion of hitting something unknown. I typically plow snow going forward, and most of my pushing backward is with the blade still facing forward, so typically when I hit something, the blade just rides up and over. This is not to say I haven't pushed in reverse, with the blade facing back however. In the non-snow seasons I often have the blade facing back to do other things, such as filling a hole, pushing brush back into the woods that may have fallen into a field or uprooting small trees/bushes that have grown out of a fence row. Obviously, I don't go at these projects with the same force or speed that you might plow snow with a front blade on a truck, but I've pushed some pretty significant tonnage, in the laast 16 years, and haven't bent anything YET. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Adapt 6ft snowplow to 3 pt hitch??? #15  
For years in our fairly snowy hilltown I plowed with a Massey 135 2wd tractor pushing a 7½' manual angle plow with the 3pt. Instead of turnbuckles or locator links I rigged up some solid steel arms to bolt-on pins on sections of 3x3x3/8 angle that bolted up under the fender u-bolts on the rear axle. The solid arms are like the old Fords used to use to hold the drawbar at a certain height. I think you can buy them at a tractor store, about 1¼ x 5/16 and drilled for Cat 1 (7/8"?) at each end. These solid sway bars kept the lift arms from swaying more than a couple inches either way. I never plowed for others much , so I usually didn't hit anything I didn't know about ahead of time, never bent anything. THe 3pt was very slow to raise this plow when cold, which come to think of it is what it's like when you need to plow. Also got a crick in my gettin-old neck. Still, with a $1-200 plow and $30 bucks worth of steel and pins you get a cheap rig. I don't think you could push dirt well, too hard to see and maybe too big for the power. Anyway it worked and I am glad I don't have to use it any more.
Jim

/ Adapt 6ft snowplow to 3 pt hitch??? #16  
I had a 7ft snow plow on the back of my m5400 for several years , worked fine, I picked it up for $100.It was one of the older ones that you could put in a pin after manually adjusting the angle.I welded a piece of 8 inch channel iron with an adapter for the top link that I had laying around put braces on both sides etc. ,put cat 1 pins in the holes where it would attach to a vehicle and I was in business. It wasn't the prettiest thing in the world but it worked fine.If I hit something hard it would trip with no problems at all.If the banks get to high you have to push them back with the bucket,as others have mentioned there will be to much sideway thrust.I am going to a rear mounted snow blower this year just to be able to get the snow out of the way more quickly when there is alot of it.I will probably just use the bucket for the light snow falls.
Good Luck

GOT ONE FREE!!! "

Neighbor has an on an old rusted out 2 seat International Jeep with a 6'6" manual angle plow. Plow is missing trip springs but I will replace before using.

He's got a MIG welder & torches and instead of messing with putting pins on it, I think I'll get a Cat 1 drawbar and weld or bolt to that.

Any of you fellers got photos of your rigs and the attachment method?

Here it is! I took the plow of my buddy'e old IH Scout jeep before New Years and finally got up to the Vermont place this weekend and had a bit of snow tho test her out on. (you call this a winter?)

This works slick. I plowed 5" off the driveway into one huge pile for the kids starting ramp for sledding....hard telling who had more fun, Dad or the Kids!!!

Attachments

• 833044-P1010450.JPG
    833044-P1010450.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 834
With no downward force on a 3pt hitch, the critical thing is to drop the lift arms BELOW HORIZONTAL so the force doesn't push the arms up.

I was all ready to buy $45 worth of steel and have the guy who gave me the plow weld up a 3pt frame but my advanced Celtic engineering skills (cheap Scotsman) kicked in and with the addidtion of a cellulose fiber strut and rigid ferrous cellulose attachment modules (block of wood and 4 ten penny nails) success was acheived.

I have $18 into this thing.,,(2) 3pt hitch pins (@ $6ea.) and a Clevis hook thingy (another $6) and some scrounged wood and nails (priceless) .

It's a manual angle--stop, get off pull the pin, move angle, get back on--works slick. If I already had rear remotes, I'd probably make it power angle but $18 beats $500 plus.

Attachments

• 833052-P1010446.JPG
    833052-P1010446.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 717
Up she goes

Attachments

• 833053-P1010443.JPG
    833053-P1010443.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 827