add on toothbar

/ add on toothbar #1  

AGV

Hello everyone,

I am considering purchasing a toothbar from Markham Welding to go on a JD 522 loader with 72 in bucket. Has anyone installed these on a JD bucket? I am concerned about the reinforced steel portion of the bucket....does this interfer with drill hole? Thanks in advance.
AGV

/ add on toothbar #2  
I cannot speak about the JD522 loader specifically but a bucket is generally a bucket and all you need to do is drill one half inch hole in each side wall to attach the Markham toothbar. I think virtually all buckets side walls are made of mild steel. A battery powered drill and a bit of lubricating oil was all it took for me to do it to mine. One pilot hole then the half inch bit (mine were titanium tipped but I don't believe that matters).

/ add on toothbar #3  
I have a 48" Markham toothbar for the LA302 FEL on my B7510HST. The holes are drilled in the sides of the bucket about 6 inches from the front edge. I have reinforcing around the lower front edge of the bucket, so there was no interference with the holes (see attachment)

I used a 9/16" dia hole saw to drill the holes. Just had to drill a 3/16" dia pilot hole. Hole saws are the way to go for thin sheet metal, IMHO.

Attachments

• 837012-DSCF0071-toothbar dirty.JPG
    837012-DSCF0071-toothbar dirty.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 459
   / add on toothbar #4  
Sorry to interupt, but my last TLB had a toothed bucket. The teeth were mounted/welded directly to the bucket.

My L-39 came with the standard bolted-on cutting edge, but I need teeth.

Are the bolt on edges a "compromise" in any way or are they just as tough as teeth welded to the front edge? I need to get teeth soon, but I have no experience with the tooth bars and wondered if they were tough enough for really tough digging?

/ add on toothbar #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Sorry to interupt, but my last TLB had a toothed bucket. The teeth were mounted/welded directly to the bucket.

My L-39 came with the standard bolted-on cutting edge, but I need teeth.

Are the bolt on edges a "compromise" in any way or are they just as tough as teeth welded to the front edge? I need to get teeth soon, but I have no experience with the tooth bars and wondered if they were tough enough for really tough digging? )</font>

Good question since most of us with tooth bars don't have the muscle you have.

/ add on toothbar #6  
L39Builder,
My opinion is that the Markham toothbar will be tough enough for you. From the design concept, the way the toothbar wedges itself onto the bucket and the bolts holding it on the sides, it should be just as tough as welded on teeth, or darn near it. I imagine with the toothbar, like welded on teeth, you could snap one off or bend the lip just the same. If you have concern over the bolt on the side and plan not to remove it, you could weld the side strap to the bucket instead of using a bolt.

I've used the heck out out my 72" toothbar on the 55hp tractor with absolutley no problems in hard dirt, small rocks, roots and boulders. I used clamps to snug it into position firmly before drilling the side holes.

Attachments

• 837092-CLAMP TOOTHBAR.JPG
    837092-CLAMP TOOTHBAR.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 366
   / add on toothbar #7  
Here it is in use. Check out that dig now...could not do that before. Also check out that 5" diameter root it sheared off.

Attachments

• 837094-TOOTHBAR WORKS GREAT.JPG
    837094-TOOTHBAR WORKS GREAT.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 597
   / add on toothbar #8  
Most add on toothbars are not compatable with bolt on cutting edges. That may be a problem for you. You can obviously take the cutting edge off or get a welded one. Check with Markham directly.

/ add on toothbar #9  
3RRL,

How is your toothed bar attached? After you clamped it was it welded on? I do kind of like the idea of being able to unbolt it.

Thanks guys. Sorry to hi-jack the thread!!! Please carry on with the original premise of the thread.

/ add on toothbar #10  
"My opinion is that the Markham toothbar will be tough enough for you. "

The only downside of the Markham is there are holes for the bolts rather then slots.

With the slotted holes, one can drill the bucket at the front end (of the slot). The attachment bolts can then be loosened, the toothbat can be slide forward and pivoted up out of the way if you want to use the bucket for backdragging.

Now, when I drilled my bucket, I did this wrong, hence cannot pivot the toothbar (with the existing holes). Correction of this error is on my list this spring.