Adding DPF to 350KW Generac

/ Adding DPF to 350KW Generac #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
Guess this is as good a thread to post this as its a HD diesel issue.
My town has a 350 KW genset powered by a Deere 13 or 14 liter engine. It is on our joint fire/police station and is probably8-10 years old (building was new then)

Mind you the facility is that old and all of a sudden we are going to spend $57,000 to ad a "Diesel Particulate Filter". Seems like all of a sudden the "air quality" in the building is poor when the unit goes into its test cycle every Tuesday at around 10AM as the exhaust on the genset is only about 8' off the ground about 5' from the building and the exhaust fumes make it to the HVAC air intakes on roofs.

As a taxpayer I went down there to look t it and got a quick tour. I asked.."why not put a stack on it"? Answer.."$100,000". I then said..."Move it 70' to edge of parking lot"...that too.."$100,000.

So I send email to town Administrator with cc's to Selectmen and basically say a DPF will only service to have a negative effect on motor performance and the employees will in any case still be saying..."what's that smell?" To say nothing of adding to maintenance cost associated with the DPF not functioning.

I have asked to see the cost estimates that support the 100G alternative figures and of course get nothing. My guess is a double wall stainless thin wall pipe as you would use for a large wood/coal stove could be added for 5-10g. Or a schedule 40 8' pipe for about the same-to a 35' height. As for relocating the unit, you would saw cut asphalt (18" width, excavate trench to say 3ft. throw new feed from unit to existing distribution panel on building as well as a couple of control wires. As for physical move, it's a typical skid. One large hydraulic crane parked at 35' line and its a 15 minute pick of 180 degrees. And as it's a skid, no need for anything but a floating slab to set it on. I've also suggested changing the test cycle to say 6 or 7 PM on a Sat night. Worst case 2 cops on duty. (After building this new structure with a very nice "dispatch" room, we join a regional dispatch operation and a big savings) Even during week, max occupancy is 3 in PD and 2 on Fire side. No cost for that. Granted that does nothing for "extended use" air quality issues (about 8 or so years ago we were without power for almost a week because of one **** of an early ice storm when trees were still loaded with leaves)

I talked to an Deere engine sales guy (Marine/gensets) and he concurred- Unless the spent about 30 g to modify engine to handle a regeneration cycle-can't believe a Deere "crate motor" would cost that much- you will have to manually clean the DPF trap on a regular basis.

Any opinions. I liken this to having a "hot" 327 Chevy or Ford 289 Hi-Po from the 60's and saying.."want to make this baby run? You need state of the art emission controls"

/ Adding DPF to 350KW Generac #2  
Both options of $100,000 seem excessive to me but not being there I'm just talking out my *****.
As for adding the DPF crap.....people are spending money to get rid of it or buying old machinery that doesn't have it and they want to add it.....someone needs a head shake. Like you had said, they'e going to be changing one smell for another if the exhaust is entering the building.
As for changing the cycle time, you're still pumping fumes into the building be it 2 or 20 people you're affecting, not a good scenario for anyone.
I agree with you, add a stack, you may have to go with a forced exhaust due to the length but I can't see the cost being as bad as was said.
My 2 cents worth (Can$, 1.5 US$ :) )..........Mike

/ Adding DPF to 350KW Generac #3  
Follow the money. Who would be supplying the add-on kit and liquid? What kind of contract will they be getting? What, if any connections do they have with the decision makers?

/ Adding DPF to 350KW Generac
thx guys-appreciate any and all comments.

/ Adding DPF to 350KW Generac #5  
the prices quoted are absolutely inflated!.. and a diesel is going to smell if the exhaust gets into your AC intake DPF or not..

/ Adding DPF to 350KW Generac #6  
guessing its just too close to the building. You could get a quote from a contractor on moving it then present it to them?

/ Adding DPF to 350KW Generac #7  
Just thought, easier to move the air intake?.....Mike

/ Adding DPF to 350KW Generac #8  
All good thoughts, relocate the building air intake, raise/relocate the genset exhaust stack, move the generator.

You might want to consider asking reputable contractors to look at the task, make suggestions and then ask anyone interested in the project to meet with the city council to offer up a more 'common sense' solution that are likely to be more cost effective and actually solve the issue at hand.

I think this needs to be approached from the angle that the proposed solution will not solve the problem.

This sounds like someone was asked to look into the situation who is not knowledgeable about these things and they asked the wrong outfit to come up with a solution. Unfortunately this one won't work and the funds will be wasted and maintenance costs will go up.

I wish you luck with this. I know how frustrating this can be.

DEWFPO

/ Adding DPF to 350KW Generac #9  
This sounds like someone was asked to look into the situation who is not knowledgeable about these things and they asked the wrong outfit to come up with a solution.

No, this sounds like a back room deal that has to have the appearance of being justified somehow.

And as I read this, the OP is a citizen taxpayer with no roll in the decision making process. So, unless they can get a number of other townspeople to start asking questions and showing up at public sessions, I don't see much possibility of change.

/ Adding DPF to 350KW Generac #10  
I'm looking at retirement of the Hospital Onan Cummins generatir that has 660 hours and performs flawlessly since 1995 and that's the problem... 1995 emission controls.