Snowblower Adding wheels to a 3pt snowblower

/ Adding wheels to a 3pt snowblower #11  
I had the same problem with skids. My snow removal area consists of pavement, gravel and grass. The skids dig in too much when the ground is soft and require a different height setting for each surface. My solution was an adjustable full length roller. Using boat trailer rollers and a linear actuator I can adjust the height on the fly. I can drop the blower to scrap the pavement clean then raise it up when I hit the gravel or grass. This will be my 10th season using this set-up. I went electric because I didn't have rear hydraulics at the time. My chute rotation and chute deflector are also electric.

Bob_in_VT - That's a great idea. I have an Erskine 721 front mount snow blower attachment on my JD4500. It came with shoes to keep the cutting edge off the ground. But, my snow removal area is like yours, pavement, gravel and grass. Looking at your pics (thanks :)) I have an idea how I can set up a manual adjust to the shoes. When I'm on pavement, I can scrape it clean of snow. When on the gravel or grass I can raise a bit to prevent the scalping I have been experiencing. Roger

/ Adding wheels to a 3pt snowblower #12  
I can visualize how a trailing wheel or two on each side would work in place of the shoes.
But I fail to see how the rollers on Bob_in_VT 's snowblower would not ride up on the snow left. Being that he says it worked for 10 years and the fact that it is adjustable on the fly attest for it working for him.

But if one was to mechanically adjust for say 1", then the blower edge would leave one inch and the rollers would ride up on that inch, thus raising the blower edge another inch higher. A wheel or two would work if they actually cut down through the snow left behind by the blower edge. Just thinking outloud here. :)

/ Adding wheels to a 3pt snowblower #13  
That was a concern of mine when I built it. It does ride up at times - depends on the moisture content of the snow. Sometimes I have to go forward (tractor), drop it a bit and go again. There seems to be a sweet spot which is easy to find from the seat. I try to keep the leading edge angled down a bit and the snow slides up.

/ Adding wheels to a 3pt snowblower #14  
I have to admit that Bob_in_VT has great idea. That's what I like about this site there's always something new to learn. :thumbsup:

Wedge

/ Adding wheels to a 3pt snowblower #15  
This may be a possibility for some of you guys or not.
This is what I did.
johndeereskidshoemod5.jpg

/ Adding wheels to a 3pt snowblower #17  
......................I was able to test this on a small un-plowed section of lane, and it seemed to work!..............Thoughts? Anyone using wheels on a 3pt?

Here's a New Idea snowblower with wheels Two castor wheels look to be about 8" diameter and 3" wide. The fact that they are still attached to this machine and not tied in a knot indicates they held up reasonably well. I'd say it's a good idea.

Last edited:
   / Adding wheels to a 3pt snowblower
My wife suggested that watching grass grow was more exciting :)

Someone mentioned that I should look into swivel casters, and I seriously did consider that. Having done our lane and path behind the house once with the wheels, I don't think that I will need swivel wheels since almost everyone of the "runs" I make is almost a straight line.