Snowblower Adding wheels to a 3pt snowblower

/ Adding wheels to a 3pt snowblower #21  
....... I don't think that I will need swivel wheels since almost everyone of the "runs" I make is almost a straight line.
I think you are right. You may catch an edge when backing and turning but they should jump or slide ok. They look good.

/ Adding wheels to a 3pt snowblower #23  
I had the same problem with skids. My snow removal area consists of pavement, gravel and grass. The skids dig in too much when the ground is soft and require a different height setting for each surface. My solution was an adjustable full length roller. Using boat trailer rollers and a linear actuator I can adjust the height on the fly. I can drop the blower to scrap the pavement clean then raise it up when I hit the gravel or grass. This will be my 10th season using this set-up. I went electric because I didn't have rear hydraulics at the time. My chute rotation and chute deflector are also electric.

Clever use of linear actuators.

/ Adding wheels to a 3pt snowblower #24  
WHAT DID YOU USE FOR "ELECTRIC MOTORS" ON YOUR CHUTE ROTATION / DEFLECTOR.
BAR BILL

/ Adding wheels to a 3pt snowblower #25  
Dickday,

Do you have much trouble with the tires sitting outside of the cut width, especially on the first pass through deep snow? I'd like to add those exact same tires to my 50" Fam King, and the best place to maintain cutting edge height is right on the sides inline with the edge. But, I was worried about them becoming plows that would make it tough to punch through that first pass, or drag too much on the uncleared side... I sometimes get 18" or deeper drifts in my driveway, so it can take some doing to get through that first cut.

/ Adding wheels to a 3pt snowblower #26  
   / Adding wheels to a 3pt snowblower #27  
Added a set of the same $5 TSC tires to my Farm King blower yesterday afternoon. (I have a stockpile of those tires from various sales)

Anyway, this fall I had welded on some skids, which turned out to be ineffective on our large, loose, rolly-polly rocks on the driveway. Tried tacking on a piece of pipe/tube Saturday to help keep from trenching with the skids, no dice. Cut the skids off Sat night and built these wheel holders to replace them. Tried it out on a couple drifts that formed Saturday night, and it seems pretty promising. Found a few lumps in the driveway big enough to be scalped and toss stones, but overall a success. May need to reinforce the RH bracket or add a "dual" tire that'd sit outside the cut (not crazy about that w/o adding a wing or something to widen out the cut) since that side is a little heavier and I had to offset the tire to fit between the auger chain and the frame...

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 874
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 373
   / Adding wheels to a 3pt snowblower #28  
HuskerPlow, your blower looks a lot like my Kubota blower. They were probably made by the same manufacturer. If yours is like mine, the center of gravity is toward the cutting edge.

You might try shortening your top link to avoid the scalping.

Keep us posted on how the wheels work over time.

/ Adding wheels to a 3pt snowblower #29  
I HAVE 6 INCH EXTENDERS THAT BOLT ON EACH SIDE OF MY 5 FT. BLOWER. I WELDED SKID PLATES ON THE BOTTOM OF THEM BUT HAVEN'T HAD A CHANCE (AND I'M GLAD) TO TRY IT OUT YET.
SEEMS LIKE THE WHEELS WOULD HAVE A TENDENCY TO SLIDE ON ICE / SNOW AND NOT STAY ON TOP AS "SKIDS" WOULD. ANYTHING IS WORTH A TRY THOUGH. AS THE MAN SAID --- KEEP US POSTED.
BAR BILL

/ Adding wheels to a 3pt snowblower #30  
Added a set of the same $5 TSC tires to my Farm King blower yesterday afternoon. (I have a stockpile of those tires from various sales)

I like the looks of your method also, but was thinking more along the lines of something adjustable and/or quickly removable for when the driveway has a decent base of hardpack and I can go back to the factory shoes at lowest adjustment.
All I know is that right now I've blown a ton of crusher run into my yard and I'm **** sick of raking it back in spring. :thumbdown: