Adding work lights

/ Adding work lights #1  

agford4x4

Silver Member
Tractor
Case DX55
How many standard 55w work lights can i hook up to the existing electrical system of my dx55 without needed relays or extra electrical components?

/ Adding work lights #2  
Under each rear fender of my tc55 i have a hot wire for a lite i would say two would be easy to hook up. The wires work by using the switch already mounted on the dash.

/ Adding work lights
Yeah, i have those. I used one already for the optional work light facing the back. But can i add two more 55w work lights facing front? The reason is that the headlights are just about useless when you have your loader mounted unless the bucket is really low or really high.

/ Adding work lights #4  
My friend Larry mounted 4 lights (55w ea) to my Kama during his visit earlier this year, for the same reason you are wanting. I have them pointing forward and backwards at a slight angle.
You can go here to check out the install... Adding Work Lights
They are wired with a heavy duty switch and their own fuse ... no relay. I don't do much night work but when I'm out in the field it lights up like a space ship. I figure their infrequent use allows enough time to charge the batteries back up.

/ Adding work lights #5  
Not sure what the output of your alternator is but 3 more lights should not be a problem on a fifty five horse tractor ( unless it is renowned for bad electrics:p )If you are really worried about it you could use the circuit for your headlights and disconnect them since they don't seem to add much value with the loader on -- I have an old 135 massey that has the headlights removed completely and lights mounted on the outside brackets of the loader for that very reason. On my Jinma 284 I have welding magnet mounted 55w worklights that I plug into a lighter socket and it only has a 14 amp alternator:eek: -- has not been a problem so far

/ Adding work lights #6  
I added a pair of 55w lights facing the front, using one of those existing wires for each light. Mine lights can spin towards the rear if I need light there. If I remember correctly, 3 lights push the factory worklight circuit over the limit since the front worklights are on there too. I plan on using the 12v accessory outlet for a mobile worklight in the future. You might consider that too.

/ Adding work lights #7  
3RRL said:
My friend Larry mounted 4 lights (55w ea) to my Kama during his visit earlier this year, for the same reason you are wanting. I have them pointing forward and backwards at a slight angle.
They are wired with a heavy duty switch and their own fuse ... no relay. I don't do much night work but when I'm out in the field it lights up like a space ship. I figure their infrequent use allows enough time to charge the batteries back up.
Forgot to add that I rarely turn on the regular tractor lights now with this set up. So I use the 4 instead of the stock two since they are on separate switches. This helps a bit.

/ Adding work lights #8  
I have my lights attached to my highbeam light switch. I can have the regular lights on, or when I switch to the highbeams, my work lights turn on too. I just spliced the 55watt light wires into the headlight wires.

Eddie

/ Adding work lights #9  
do you find that the lights have a glare in your eyes when you turn your head to the side?

3RRL said:

/ Adding work lights #10  
Flatheadyoungin said:
do you find that the lights have a glare in your eyes when you turn your head to the side?
Not at all.
Did you see the pictures in the thread?
The lights are way up high on the ROPS canopy bracket so they are like 2 feet above me (or more). Since they are positioned to shine slightly to the sides, there is no glare at all. Now you should see what happens when I turn the regular lights on with the fel held low ... glare city!