Adjusting sway in lift arms (rubbing tires)

/ Adjusting sway in lift arms (rubbing tires)
I just measured the clearance (about 1.5" from arm to tire) and the length of the check chains is at 9" pulled in all the way. So I'd have to have check chains that shortened down to about the 7-8" length and take literally all the slop out.

I know it's not good for the tires, but these rice tires have much more aggressive tread than I need. If I could get the slop out so that they barely rubbed, I wouldn't mind so much. Problem is, right now they rub so much that the arms could get hung in the tire and be dangerous.

Hey Gary, we posted at the same time. I appreciate your input. I bet I can find shorter ones, problem is...like you say, it may not work on everything else.

I like that idea of a temporary connection to the drawbar. I'll give that a look.

/ Adjusting sway in lift arms (rubbing tires) #13  
Does look "wide" for your tractor. I think I would weld on a couple of new "dog ears" to the inside to get the arms towards the center, if your certain its cat1.

/ Adjusting sway in lift arms (rubbing tires) #14  
The links have a bolted connection to the lift arms so no need to weld that but may need to weld some ears on to the drawbar. I think that would work better than where it is now. My Yanmar didnt have a drawbar on it when I bought it and in the 3 years I have had it, I have been contemplating making one, just never had a need so never got around to it. It would be pretty easy to reverse sides with that sway chain and weld some 1/4" thick plate ears to the drawbar on each side at the correct position, then you would be able to lengthen the turnbuckle to open them if needed. It might even be easier to adjust them in the middle rather than on the side also. I know mine are tight.

/ Adjusting sway in lift arms (rubbing tires) #15  
You might also consider adding a separate pair of check chains that cross over the tractor midline to the contralateral side of the implement and allow you to simply attach to some existing attachment point rather than welding something together. Right attachment site on tractor to left attachment site on scoop etc. I did something like that using the screw closed chain links at both ends and with a turn buckle in the middle of each chain.

/ Adjusting sway in lift arms (rubbing tires) #16  
Why wouldn't moving your tires WIDER solve the problem?

HTH

Arkaybee

/ Adjusting sway in lift arms (rubbing tires) #17  
Isn't the bucket set up to wide for your hitch? Need to space the pins closer together so your chain will work.

/ Adjusting sway in lift arms (rubbing tires) #18  
Lower Link Pin, Category 1 Adjustable, 7/8 in. dia. - 0268420 | Tractor Supply Company

You could try these and get and extra nut for them. Take the other nuts off, put on your extra then reinstall the second and put it through just enough to get the last nut on. This would make your lift arms closer together, but not sure how much. I really don't like the idea but no bigger than that tractor looks, I dont think it will cause any damage and you wont have to weld on new ears for mounting.

Rich

/ Adjusting sway in lift arms (rubbing tires) #19  
Why wouldn't moving your tires WIDER solve the problem?

HTH

Arkaybee
There is nothing to keep the lift arms from continuing to swing out, the chain keeps them from swinging in so they have to be hooked to something so right side stops the left side sway and vice versa. My tires are as wide as they will go and I still have the same problem if no implement is on the hook.

My tires are set at the widest.

Some good brainstorming going on here! I like it!

Rich, I think you've got the best/easiest/cheapest solution. If I can get longer pins and thus have the arms narrower, then my check chains will tighten up and stop the sway.

I understand why it might not be preferred, but in my context, it's likely "good enough". I'm using this for about as light a duty as you might find. I'm on 3 acres of sloped woods with about an acre total developed. I don't think any job I'd have for this would be more than an hour or two. Moving soil to low spots in yard, mulching the landscape beds, a small gravel project, maybe digging a ditch once in awhile. In other words, this thing won't be put into heavy labor.

I'm going to TSC this afternoon and see if they have any in stock. Thanks again guys.