Adjusting sway in lift arms (rubbing tires)

/ Adjusting sway in lift arms (rubbing tires) #21  
You might also consider adding a separate pair of check chains that cross over the tractor midline to the contralateral side of the implement and allow you to simply attach to some existing attachment point rather than welding something together. Right attachment site on tractor to left attachment site on scoop etc. I did something like that using the screw closed chain links at both ends and with a turn buckle in the middle of each chain.

I don't have a Yanmar, but I did take this approach and put on two chains with hooks to take our my sway...

/ Adjusting sway in lift arms (rubbing tires)
As someone said earlier, when I don't have an implement on, my lift arms will bang over to the tires. I thought all tractors did this? Guess not. I use a bungee to hold them together under these conditions. However, these extra chains to the drawbar could eliminate that too. :)

I took off one of my draw pins and they measure 5.5". The longest at TSC is 6.5", so that buys me an inch on each side. I also realized that I could space with washers and get about an additional inch on each side. If that gets me a total of 4", then the width of my bars gets down to 26"...that's getting better.

/ Adjusting sway in lift arms (rubbing tires) #24  
If you modify, its important that you keep it so an imaginary line would run though the center of all four pivot points: the two forward lift arm pins and the two foward chain mount pins. Otherwise bad things can happen when the arms raise and lower.
I'm guessing that your tractor is a Cat 0.
One of your pictures looks like the scoop pins have maybe 1" of slop around the arm socket. You can get some pin adapter bushings and cut to fit. Put them on the pins to the outside of the arm. Might help a bit.

/ Adjusting sway in lift arms (rubbing tires) #25  
I have a bobcat tractor that has slides on both sides of my 3 pt hitch that have holes that I put a pin in to keep the implements from swinging. Very slick idea. Might look at what it would take to add the slides. If you watch this video it shows the pins being adjusted aroun 27 second point.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZSW5DDo_oY]Bobcat Compact Tractors: 3-Point Hitch Adjustments - YouTube[/ame]

Mike

Snaker, it's a Cat 1 tractor. Yanmar YMG2000d

I like the bushing adapter idea. That can buy me an inch each side.

I stopped at TSC tonight on my way home. The fellow there suggested taking the turnbuckle style check chain out all together and replacing it with simple chain. I can then take a carabeener and use it to take up however much slack I need. I like the idea. Nothing with threads down there to rust up and making adjusments a PITA. It's a similar idea to what's shown in Mike's video. That is really slick, but I think the chain idea does the same thing just not as cool.

After making a few measurements, I'll go in the morning and pick up what I need. Whole deal will be about $10, so worth a shot.

Here's a shot showing the whole rig.

Attachments

• image-2041332336.jpg
    image-2041332336.jpg
    515.2 KB · Views: 203
Alright guys. I got it all together again. Bolted new chains in place instead of the turnbuckle. To adjust, I just pull in a few links and run a bolt through (probably switch to a pin). There is zero sway now.

I also added some bushings to space out the draw pins and pull the arms further from the tires. No rub, no sway.

If it fails, it will probably be the .50 bolt. No biggie.

I'll be running it this weekend. I'll let you know how it done. :)

Attachments

• image-3117660771.jpg
    image-3117660771.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 214
  • image-3966874265.jpg
    image-3966874265.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 339
  • image-4085090842.jpg
    image-4085090842.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 211