Advice needed, which tractor models to consider

/ Advice needed, which tractor models to consider #11  
I think that you are asking a lot out of 1 tractor but if I had to choose 1 given your listed tasks, I would choose a 50-60hp utility tractor. Something like a MX or M series Kubota, New Holland Workmaster 60 or similar. As others have stated, I would recommend against 15-20 mile trips with the tractor on a public road. You probably wouldn't have to do that over 1 time to agree with us :)

/ Advice needed, which tractor models to consider
Your issue is you want a machine with enough HP to bale hay, but one light enough to move through the orchard. These are in conflict. In general the more HP, the more the machine weighs. If you forget about baling hay…then the HP requirements go down. I would hate to think about how difficult it would be to find haying equipment (cut, rake/ted, bale, stack) to fit between 10-12 foot rows. If you are willing to forget this, we have a much better shot at finding 1 machine to do most of your tasks.
Got it.

Given this recurring feedback, I will can the idea of making hay, and see if I can come up with a side discharge mower to move cover crop residue into the tree row as mulch.

You picked the worst time in History to buy a tractor. Prices are up, inventory is way down. Used market is very hot (no machines available, or they go in a day
Well, the good news is, I am being proactive, don't need one for another 6-12 months, and once I am clear on what I am looking for, I am comfortable making fast decisions.

Based on all the feedback, I am changing gears to look at trailers with booms instead of using the tractor to load and unload, and transporting with a truck.

For the tractor alone, I would like to be in the 5-10k range, but if need be, I will go higher.

/ Advice needed, which tractor models to consider #15  
For the tractor alone, I would like to be in the 5-10k range, but if need be, I will go higher.
Start looking in the used market.

tractor house, craigslist (be VERY careful of scams), Facebook market, local ads, and if you can get in with local farmers club/etc maybe someone is selling an old piece of equipment. Be ready to turn some wrench and my advice is to get a machine that you can still readily find parts for.

/ Advice needed, which tractor models to consider #16  
I think you'll be struggling to get a good tractor with a FEL for $10K but if you shop around you might, good luck. When you find a model just google around for filters and parts before you pull the trigger just to get a feel for parts availability on it.

Last edited:
   / Advice needed, which tractor models to consider #17  
Pulling a trailer carrying 3000-4000 lb weight on highways and off road for 15-20 mile round trips (transporting honeybees)
forgive me, for not being able to go into details (can't type, dislocated shoulder) ... so i'm just going to ask...

we were apiarists for years, any transporting that we did was via Truck and Flatdeck Trailer. Is truck / trailer option not available for you ? especially that Highway drive, the distance, the weight, the speed? I think hwy driving and bees need to be the least disruptive ... esp for our Bee friends. Also, without this factor, you could get a lot less (more affordable) tractor for your purposes

just get a tractor that can at least manage pallet forks capable of lifting full pallets of 4 hives -upwards of 1200 -1500 pounds.

30 - 40 hp minimum, quick attach fork lifts implement of moderate duty

You will need a larger tractor for the other tasks, but really think about haulling bees in a different method

tractordata.com is helpful for specs

Last edited:
   / Advice needed, which tractor models to consider #18  
i just gotta say Jeff9366 is AWESOME :) , and the responses . advice on this post from everyone is terrific. Way to go!!!

Last edited:
   / Advice needed, which tractor models to consider #19  
We are in NE Ohio, with the terrain being slightly rolling, right on the edge of the snow belt.

If you add your NE Ohio location to your T-B-N PROFILE, so your location shows with every post you make, you will receive recommendations better tailored to your conditions.

When ordering a tractor, bare tractor weight first, tractor horsepower second, rear axle width/wheel spread third and rear wheel/tire ballast fourth.

/ Advice needed, which tractor models to consider #20  
If you add your NE Ohio location to your T-B-N PROFILE, so your location shows with every post you make, you will receive recommendations better tailored to your conditions.

When ordering a tractor, bare tractor weight first, tractor horsepower second, rear axle width/wheel spread third and rear wheel/tire ballast fourth.
Shall we alert Digginit so the location wars can begin?