Advice needed, which tractor models to consider

/ Advice needed, which tractor models to consider #21  
Curious about the 60-80 acres that you mow. Is this pastureland for livestock? Is this the same ground you are frost seeding? If not - - then why are you mowing? You could find a farmer with a haying operation to use and maintain those acres.

/ Advice needed, which tractor models to consider #22  
The $10k limit means older used tractor. Auctions, small independent dealers. Tractor definitely wrong thing to transport hives for that distance unless you have a small tractor with loader and a trailer where you can stack the hives in front, tractor in rear (its what I have). Haying with small horsepower isn't the stumbling block people talk about unless you are talking large round bales. Small squares - Farmall H at around 20 HP was popular baling tractor in early 50s. Yes, its low speed larger displacement gasoline engine had different characteristics, but still a square baler builds most of its energy for the plunger stroke from its flywheel so don't count out some haying with a small tractor. It's hard to pinpoint a specific recommendation within your budget.

/ Advice needed, which tractor models to consider #23  
Hi Friends,

I have worked on farms for decades, but always with horsepower of the four footed kind, and am very unfamiliar with tractors. I am in need of advice on which tractor models I should consider as possible options to fit our needs. I would love to get your opinion. Thanks!

I expect to use a tractor for the following:

• Moving/ piling/spreading wood chips and compost
  • Pulling a trailer carrying 3000-4000 lb weight on highways and off road for 15-20 mile round trips (transporting honeybees)
  • Load and unload honeybee hives on trailer
  • Planting and frost seeding 60-80 acres annually
  • Brush hogging/mowing 60-80 acres once or twice a year
  • Possibly, in the future, make hay in between wide orchard rows with small hay equipment. Will need to fit in 10-12 foot row spacing if possible.
  • In the future, possibly spraying orchard/tree crops and hauling out harvest

I don’t anticipate using this tractor for tillage or soil preparation work.

Considering that I am moving a trailer or wagon off road with honeybees, it seems to me I will likely want 4 wheel drive.

I will want a loader, ideally one with a larger bucket option for lightweight materials, and forks for loading and unloading.

Given that this tractor will possibly be using for tree crops and orchard in the future, I prefer a lighter weight tractor to minimize compaction from repeat traffic on paths. However, need enough weight to manage trailer on roads, etc.

I have a preference for a tractor that is reliably built, and is relatively easy to work on, with minimal/no electronics, although I am open to a newer model tractor if needed/better.

I have good local mechanics able to repair and service most brands. I have access to dealerships for parts of most tractor brands within 30-60 miles. The closest one is a Kubota dealership, with a reputation of being difficult to deal with. I prefer to avoid them, I think.

I am budget conscious , but I am not sure what to consider reasonably priced.

With this context, what tractor models would you advise us to consider? Do any of our objectives seem out of alignment or in possible conflict? What is a reasonable budget for the tractor model you would suggest?

Thank you!

That really sounds like work for a full sized utility tractor of about 50-100 HP. Ground compaction can be reduced with wide flotation turf tires although they have poor traction relative to regular ag tires. You likely do not want a tall, heavy cab on an orchard tractor, you want one that's short and squat (the flotation turf tires will help here.) However, you are going to spend far in excess of $10k for one with a loader, figure about $15k minimum for a well used but serviceable 2wd unit on ag tires, MFWD units are noticeably more.

/ Advice needed, which tractor models to consider #24  
Before spending too much more time, go to the dealers in your area and see what $10k will buy.

Then look at your list of tasks and decide if you are prepared to spend more, and/or prune your list of jobs.

/ Advice needed, which tractor models to consider #26  
A couple of comments. That budget is tough. It will be older and well used. It can happen but will take some carefull buying.

The light weight for soil compaction conflicts with your mowing requirements. Orchard tractors are often smaller or narrow. Like already mentioned do you need to mow it or would somebody hay it for you.

Hauling stuff on the road with a tractor is common in my area. If you have flat open rural roads you can do it but it’s not the best option.

Back to your budget, it could easily be $40k to $50k to buy what you want and the implements you would need and that would probably be used but newer and lightly used. For example your budget could easily be spent on a brush mower for the mowing you want to do.