Advice on rebuilding a boom cylinder on Kubota m4700/LA1001

/ Advice on rebuilding a boom cylinder on Kubota m4700/LA1001 #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
Well about 7 years ago my M4700 left side boom cylinder leaked (linky) and I had it repaired at a reasonable price. But that guy seems no longer available and now my right cylinder needs rebuilding.
Looking at Messicks a rebuild kit (just the rings) is about $50. Numerous Youtube videos showing rebuild of other model cylinders indicate it's not too hard.
IF - you have the correct tools
You go slow and careful
Nothing is scratched

Some pointers I saw were:
One of the rings needs to be heated in oil (or buy a special $150 tool)
Loosen the cylinder cap ON the tractor

Anyone have other pointers?
Any advice for a reliable source of parts besides Messicks? (they might not have the parts in stock by the time I find out my serial number)

/ Advice on rebuilding a boom cylinder on Kubota m4700/LA1001 #2  
Resealing a cylinder isn't difficult. The ring you are talking about is for the piston. Generally, you don't need to replace it as you will see when you take it apart. The leaks occur through the gland and the rod.
The hardest part about any cylinder reseal is removing the piston retaining nut as they are tightened to a very high torque and/or Loctited .

/ Advice on rebuilding a boom cylinder on Kubota m4700/LA1001 #4  
Not sure of that particular seal and material. Yes some seals need warmed in either hot oil or water to make them more pliable. But the repair is pretty straight forward.

Keep tractor handy. Yes loosen gland nut (assuming its threaded) as step one before removing anything else. If you cant get the gland off you are dead in the water. No point in taking anything else apart and disabling the tractor until you either source the tools to remove the gland, or a shop to do it for you.

Once the gland is cracked loose, knock out the bucket pin and pull the rod out. Dont really even need to remove the barrel from the tractor if you dont want, so you can leave all hoses connected.

once the rod is pulled out....throw some towels over the barrel (to protect the rod) and pin the rod back into the bucket. Use that to hold the rod while loosening the piston nut. Because once the rod is out there isnt a good way to hold the rod while loosening the nut....resist all urges to use a vice or pipewrench on the rod itself.

A torch is your friend. Heat that rod nut up. Alot of times they are red-loctited and heat breaks it loose.

Good luck