Advice - stolen tractor and brush hog/value/replac

/ Advice - stolen tractor and brush hog/value/replac #31  
My camper's have always been behind my trucks - well except the one time when one I was towing for a relative came off the ball and passed me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Advice - stolen tractor and brush hog/value/replac #32  
Jim, the point I am makeing is that when you ask some one a question that is subject to interpretaton the resulting answer although truthfull, is often inacurate and missleading. When you say camper that means to me it goes IN the bed, you pull a trailer. If you ask your insurance co ...Is my tractor insured when I'm pulling it? The answer is yes....But for liability not physical damages. I know this is likely different in your state, but we all have to remember to be VERY specefic when dealing with insurance companys or any one for that matter. If not it can leave you in a precarious position. Dave

/ Advice - stolen tractor and brush hog/value/replac #33  
I know what you are saying, and you are right about interpretation, but when I say towed a camper that usually means it is behind me /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif, but anyway it'll be something each has to verify with there insurance company. I know that mine is, but whether or not anyone else's covers their's I don't know. Anyway, glad to know that you asked the right question before it was needed and have your's covered.

/ Advice - stolen tractor and brush hog/value/replac #34  
I was blown away that I asked so many times and was told..oh yea thats covered we called and asked. hmmm, if its not in writeing its not covered. If I sound like I dont like insurance companys, Well I dont. I have known some great agents and guys who have worked for them in the past but their about as rare as hens teeth here now. I am fairly regularly suprised at how poorly some organize and manage their personal affairs. I still remember when My first home got hit by a tornado. Lost the roof and contents. Then I found out for about $15 more a year I could have had a replacement policy instead of a standard policy. Live and learn. Dave

/ Advice - stolen tractor and brush hog/value/replac #35  
I've been told many things by agents. ya try to proove that you were told you're tools will be coered if stolen form you're vehical. then when it comes time to collect, they say oh well that was not the case! it only covered the tolls if they were stolen form you're driveway while in the vehical not out on a job site! a year later same thing more stolen tools, and what did we hear oh that is not covered even though you got a rate increase and a assurance that if it happens again you are covered! insurance companies are almost as bad as laywers and crrcks, (oh wait what am I saying I need to distinguish between them for an actuall differance!) ok they are one and the same all croocks lol.

Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Advice - stolen tractor and brush hog/value/replac #36  
Wow, wild post. Ok an admitted insurance adjuster here with 20 yrs on the job. In most cases your auto/truck policy only covers liability when pulling the trailer. Dave is right-on with his reasoning on this. Physical damage and liability are seperate parts in the policy and you wont find coverage in both on the trailer issue including what is in/on the trailer. Small utility trailers will sometimes get coverage for physical damage but was is in or on the trailer needs to have its own coverage.
A tractor is a "motorized land vehicle" and excluded under the contents coverage on most home owner policies "unless" used soley for the service of the "insured premises" and not licenses for use on public roads. If your tractor fits this criteria then you get coverage. If you have an endorsement on your policy for replacement costs on contents then a new "like kind and quality" tractor is owed. Not the money for one but the tractor. If the tractor is not replaced ACV is all that is owed. Bear in mind however that the coverage is for the named perils only under contents so theft or fire would be covered but damage from you crashing your tractor would not.
Business exclusions and limitations always apply on both sides of a policy so if that tractor is used in the insureds business, same as tools, its needs to be insured through the business.
Its complex and does vary a bit but the above will normally apply country wide.
Now if an agent gives you a coverage opinions ask for it in writting. If he or she is wrong and the carrier later shows coverage is not afforded you can fall back on the agents "errors & omissions" coverage that they have to carry.
I am new here so lacking in tractor advice but have a good knowlegde of the insurance industry. I invite anyone that has a loss involving their tractor to call me if you have a question or drop me an e-mail(909-280-1079). Thats a California number. If you do try and have your policy in your hand to look for specific wording. Things are always changing.

/ Advice - stolen tractor and brush hog/value/replac #37  
I have noticed in the last year that my home owners replacement cost policy is the same. They used to pay out replacement cost in cash. Now its only replacement cost if you actually replace it. If not its depriciated. I am currently in a bit of a quandry on my vacant recreational property. I just bought a umbrella policy and the land is not listed. I'm getting the we called and its covered stuff. Oh what fun. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Dave

/ Advice - stolen tractor and brush hog/value/replac #38  
Dan Well said. I have been adjusting claims for 19 years and now supervise a group of 18 property adjusters. I have read numerous wrong interpretations of policies with respect to tractors on this site. Whether in Calf. or New England what you have described is an accurrate analysis of coverage under the current policies. Guys if your agents are telling you something other than what you have read in Dans post you need to print the post and show it to the agent . If they still advise differently have them put it in writing. Then make sure you ask them for a copy of their Errors and Omissions policy so you can go against them when you find out they have given you bad advice. Dan Well done.

/ Advice - stolen tractor and brush hog/value/replac #39  
Another Insurance concern

I have multiple policys through my insurance company (house, auto, boat, life, and UMBRELLA.) In trying to get a handle on my insurance expenses, I started looking at my statements. My bills go up and down depending on which coverage kicks in this month.

I couldn't find what I was looking for, so I called my company. Imagine my shock when I asked what my umbrella premium was and they said "Oh, you dropped that FOUR YEARS AGO. Duh???

I never told them to cancel, but I didn't notice that I have no premium. And I certainly didn't know it was not in effect.

My lesson learned--check your policies carefully if you have multiples with one place. Scared me silly.

Best wishes,

Ron.